new toshiba notebook wont stay off

mrweirdo

Dec 1, 2002
This is a strange one. My sister just got a brand new toshiba satellite A205-S4607 15.4" wide screen notebook with windows vista.

Anyways the first thing we noticed out of the box is that if you try to shut down the computer with the power adapter plugged in will cause the computer to start up about 5 seconds after it has been shut off. This happens every time and only is reproducible with the AC adapter hooked up. If run off battery it doesn't do it.

My first though that It could be something to do with the wireless so I disabled it and disabled the wake on lan feature in the bios to eliminate that possibility. I looked around for any other possible bios settings that might cause the computer to come on by itself and disabled them to no avail too.

As a mac user myself my last thought is maybe there is something like the SMC or a Power management module that needs to be reset in the system. I have no idea how that is done or what the equivalent is in pc laptops. Anyone have any ideas?

What else could be causing this?

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Originally posted by: mrweirdo
This is a strange one. My sister just got a brand new toshiba satellite A205-S4607 15.4" wide screen notebook with windows vista.

Anyways the first thing we noticed out of the box is that if you try to shut down the computer with the power adapter plugged in will cause the computer to start up about 5 seconds after it has been shut off. This happens every time and only is reproducible with the AC adapter hooked up. If run off battery it doesn't do it.

My first though that It could be something to do with the wireless so I disabled it and disabled the wake on lan feature in the bios to eliminate that possibility. I looked around for any other possible bios settings that might cause the computer to come on by itself and disabled them to no avail too.

As a mac user myself my last thought is maybe there is something like the SMC or a Power management module that needs to be reset in the system. I have no idea how that is done or what the equivalent is in pc laptops. Anyone have any ideas?

What else could be causing this?

I can't say that I have ever heard of this situation.... since it only happens with the AC adapter, I am betting that it has something to do with a miswire internally. So call up toshiba, or take it back from where you got it.

If she doesn't want to send it in or take it back, then see if you can; unplug, shut it down, then plug it in, see if it turns on then.

mrweirdo

Dec 1, 2002
Originally posted by: TheStu
If she doesn't want to send it in or take it back, then see if you can; unplug, shut it down, then plug it in, see if it turns on then.

^ this process seemed to keep it from turning back on.

But anyways since then I have noticed some other issues with it so I think its going back to office depot. The power brick itself seems to buzz, the internal fans rev in a constant loop creating a mooing sound, the sound control wheel is broken, and one of the trackpad buttons is uneven.