New to water cooling

imported_angor

Apr 1, 2005
Hey all, I am new to anandtech forms, as well as to water cooling. queston i have is this i am in process of building a new pc, going to water cool this one, i just purchased coolmaster cm stacker case, and it is huge and very sweat:), i plan on oc this new rig once done, dfi nf4 sli dr , will be my mb, processor i havnt decided on yet still waiting to see what happen in next few weeks:), anyway if anyone is familar with this case it has a vent hole on bottom of case appr, 3.5 x 11.79, i want to put either black ice extreme III rad or the extreme II rad in bottom of case, i have room for both granted will need to mod hole for it fit, mont rad on bottom inside, then putting fan shrouds on top of rad then mount fans on shrouds with fans sucking air from bottom, i leaning toword the extreme III rad, what pump would u recomend for either one rad, wil be cooling cpu, mb chip, video card or cards.
any advice would be welcome

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
You're already on the right track. In general, the bigger the rad\core the better. Especially if you want a quieter rig. Most modern 12v pumps will push coolant around your proposed loop without much problem. If you want to force a higher performance level I'd suggest two pumps, like this, in series. Also, if you vent your rad INTO your case you're going to need to make sure that you're moving enough air through your case to avoid heating your components with the backwash.

imported_angor

Apr 1, 2005
thanks for info Hard Warrior, just wasnt sure that pump would be enough for extreme III rad set up, i should have plebty air flow in case, have 2 80 mm fans bottem lower back for exhaust, 1 -120mm for haust about 10 inches above that, then psu sit about 6inches above that plus 1 80mm on top blow hole exhaust, for intake side i have 1 -120mm onhardrive cage, and 300mmross flow fan beside mm to blow acoss it, if need be i can add another 120 intake fan at later time once i see how temps go.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
A man after my own heart. Lots of airflow is just plain "cool." :) From the looks of things you'll do fine.

ribbon13

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2005
Have you decided on RAM? That DFI and this TwinMOS are a match made in heaven. Pump the vdimm to 3.4v and 2-2-2-5 up to 240FSB easily. 260FSB if you're lucky.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
I couldn't find a single review on this RAM, ribbon. Also, the specs plainly state that its supported voltage is 2.6v with a CAS of 2.5. I wouldn't put this memory in a performance rig and bank on it functioning as far out of spec as you're suggesting it does.

rpmcrash

Oct 16, 2004
Originally posted by: HardWarrior
I couldn't find a single review on this RAM, ribbon. Also, the specs plainly state that its supported voltage is 2.6v with a CAS of 2.5. I wouldn't put this memory in a performance rig and bank on it functioning as far out of spec as you're suggesting it does.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview...atid=28&threadid=1551685&enterthread=y
TwinMos PC3200 Value Ram,big performance 245@2-2-2 3.3V

its a roll of the dice. But i got lucky the second time. :D

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: rpmcrash
Originally posted by: HardWarrior

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview...atid=28&threadid=1551685&enterthread=y
TwinMos PC3200 Value Ram,big performance 245@2-2-2 3.3V

its a roll of the dice. But i got lucky the second time. :D

:D:thumbsup:

imported_angor

Apr 1, 2005
as far ram i thinki going with oc pc4000 vxgold, when i retired from navy 5 years ago was when i build this pc via my wife for retirement p4 1.7 400 buss 1g ram was the chit back then, it little outdated now for gaming on internet need more power:), so will pretty much be top of line parts, in this rig, not to often boss lets me loose with check book, (got checks in book must have money?:)

n yusef

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2005
OCZ VX and the TwinMOS use the same Winbond UTT chips, so you are essentially paying $150 for a name brand and a useless heatspreader. The VX is guaranteed to hit 250MHz, but where is the fun in that?

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
What RAM chips a stick uses are only part of the story. The little I've read about the twinmos modules indicates that good performance is trial and error and varies across the board. How can this be a good thing?

n yusef

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2005
If you get the standard DDR 400 modules (TMII400), you have to gamble to get UTT, but if you get the Speed Premium (TMSP400) you get CH-5 guarranteed. I have two friends who have the Speed Premium (with CH-5), and one with two sets of the regular PC3200 with UTT. All of the eight chips can hit 250MHz easy, but I would recommend the SP because there are rumors that TwinMOS stopped putting Winbond chips in their regular (non-SP) RAM. I ordered myself some Speed Premium about two hours ago, so I'll post me results in a few days.