Aug 29, 2014
Alright, I've upgraded from:

i7 920
24gb 1333 ram
gtx 570
asus p6t deluxe
1000w psu

to

i7 5820 with h110 cooler (may be overkill)
16gb ddr4 2133
Asus x99 deluxe
Video card still 570 (waiting for nvidia news)
1000w psu
samsung 4k monitor

I decided to run the ASUS auto overclocking program... it ran stress tests for each OC and it would have gone extremely high but I stopped it at 4.4ghz because actually I don't know what I am doing really.

Currently I am at 4.4ghz and 23c with 48c being during games and what not. From what I've read I'm assuming that's really good.

In other news, building this thing with the water cooler was rather odd, and the instructions were not clear at all. I did find videos to show me how to build it all and so it's all done!

Just wanted to get some tips or hints from some users about OC and maybe some advice or warnings on how I'm screwing myself...

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!!

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
You're good to go.. You have a nice setup there, and one of the best motherboards. Makes overclocking so easy & water cooling is the ticket with new Haswell chips! Good job getting it installed! Enjoy! :) Maybe give us a peek at some benchmarks later?

Last edited:

EvilNodZ

Mar 24, 2014
Looks like the silicon lottery was good to you :) The H110 cooler seems to be doing its job very well. They are nice temps.

Im using a noctua NH-D15 and im hitting Mid 80s at 1.215V on my i7 5820k during LinX and it wont go over 4.1GHz without temps & voltage sky rocketing :( Not tried gaming yet to see what temps ill get.

What did the Asus board set your Vcore at for 4.4GHz on the auto overclock?

groovieknave

Aug 29, 2014
Thanks guys! Well, the system didn't stay stable after all at 4.4/4.5 ghz, so I did wind up testing all day and got down to 4.1ghz myself... :( My system is running at 20-40c so I know for sure the h110 is overkill!

Will run some benchmarks soon.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Anything that keeps your CPU that cool is certainly not overkill. Sure, you can run your CPU hotter than that (this is Haswell-E after all), but would you want to? I certainly wouldn't.

It is dismaying that the mighty nh-d15 is struggling so with the 5820k. I wonder if its hitting a heat flux limit?

Nov 26, 2005
Can you guys give your ambient temps when giving your burn in temps?

My lowest core is 30*c in 72*F with 45% humidity

groovieknave

Aug 29, 2014
I'm getting 30c as well at 4.1ghz I attempted 4.2 ghz and it crashed several times... :/ I think 4.1 is as good as it gets.

I ran Passmark but I'm not really sure how to make it work well. Here are the scores:

Passmark Rating 5,117
CPU Mark 15,200
2D Graphics Mark 1,008
3D Graphics Mark 4,871
Memory Mark 2,676
Disk Mark 2,923

CPU Type Intel Core i7-5820K @ 3.30GHz
Motherboard X99-DELUXE
Memory 16GB
Video Card Tested GeForce GTX 570
Hard Drive Tested TOSHIBA THNSNJ256GCST (256 GB)

Xpage

Jun 22, 2005
www.riseofkingdoms.com
Hey groovie, how did oyu get that board to overclock? I am trying to do some on a friend's PC yet it doesn't want to let me run more than 21 as the cpu ratio tot he 133 block. The AI suite doesn't seem to help

he has the same specs as your pc

oh wow it's been too long. it's a block multiplier OC and a memory divider, ah good ole days

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Hey groovie, how did oyu get that board to overclock? I am trying to do some on a friend's PC yet it doesn't want to let me run more than 21 as the cpu ratio tot he 133 block. The AI suite doesn't seem to help

he has the same specs as your pc

oh wow it's been too long. it's a block multiplier OC and a memory divider, ah good ole days

Maybe I have "a lot of nerve" to post observations about the OP and topic.

I'm planning to build one of these "E" systems next year.

What we'd determined about the H110 is that an NH-D14 can be configured to match H110 cooling -- neck and neck. This would mean that a D15 could also be made to do the same thing.

There's not yet a lot of data available about either the chip lottery or a prevailing cooling requirement for these chips. It may be that the OP has yet to run serious stress tests -- he hasn't mentioned programs like LinX or Prime95 so far.

At the same time, I thought I'd seen recent thoughts that the traditional tests are too much, or that less demanding tests like AIDA-64 or Prime95 were now considered to be sufficient. I'm skeptical about that, too.

Some of the available info on the 5930K and certainly the $1,000 flagship X processor suggests there's not a lot of headroom for big overclocks.

If I decide to go ahead with my project, I'll want to see attainable clock speeds of at least 4.4, and I'm inclined to choose water-cooling that exceeds any of the AiO possibilities. If one chose NOT to overclock, I'm pretty sure -- no, profoundly sure -- that the D14, D15 or the H110 would be more than adequate.
They should also allow some modest overclocking, as well. How modest, I can't say.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
There's not yet a lot of data available about either the chip lottery or a prevailing cooling requirement for these chips. It may be that the OP has yet to run serious stress tests -- he hasn't mentioned programs like LinX or Prime95 so far.

According to some, as of Prime95 28.5, Prime95 is now the roughest stress test you can run on Haswell due to its overvolting behavior under AVX2 loads. That's very different from older architectures such as Stars or Nehalem (for example) where Linpack was the gold standard of torture for a CPU.

But yeah, he hasn't mentioned Prime95 anyway so, who knows?

edit: Not sure about the d14, but I remember seeing some benchmarks in which the d15 with stock configuration was able to outperform AiO water coolers on an overclocked 4770k. Not sure if that makes it appropriate for higher TDP processors such as the 5820k. However, I have seen at least one guy run a FX9590 with a D15 on it that did not appear to have any modifications (read: stock fans), so my guess is that a 5820k in the 4 ghz range should work okay with the D15, especially with some better fans (and, in your case, some ductwork. Have you considered a nick changes to BonzaiDuct?).

I would not fear to run any AM3+ or LGA2011-3 processor with a modified D15, with the understanding that custom loop guys would have more headroom. The AiO guys would be no better off, though some of them might exceed my cooling levels by doing some fan customization of their own where possible.

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
According to some, as of Prime95 28.5, Prime95 is now the roughest stress test you can run on Haswell due to its overvolting behavior under AVX2 loads. That's very different from older architectures such as Stars or Nehalem (for example) where Linpack was the gold standard of torture for a CPU.

But yeah, he hasn't mentioned Prime95 anyway so, who knows?

edit: Not sure about the d14, but I remember seeing some benchmarks in which the d15 with stock configuration was able to outperform AiO water coolers on an overclocked 4770k. Not sure if that makes it appropriate for higher TDP processors such as the 5820k. However, I have seen at least one guy run a FX9590 with a D15 on it that did not appear to have any modifications (read: stock fans), so my guess is that a 5820k in the 4 ghz range should work okay with the D15, especially with some better fans (and, in your case, some ductwork. Have you considered a nick changes to BonzaiDuct?).

I would not fear to run any AM3+ or LGA2011-3 processor with a modified D15, with the understanding that custom loop guys would have more headroom. The AiO guys would be no better off, though some of them might exceed my cooling levels by doing some fan customization of their own where possible.

Well, you already know this -- "modification" means turning your case into a sort of "bellows" and getting more effectiveness from fans with the ducting. Some info about the D15 is accumulating -- users showing a difference of some few C degrees between the two coolers with no special preparation. but the D15 couldn't be worse -- it could only be better. I would only guess I could squeeze another 5C from it over the extant bench tests.

That being said, for a 140W-TDP processor, we're at the crossroads. You can run these processors at stock with these and some AiO coolers, but you won't get a lot of "thermal room" left for any serious overclocking. Seen from another perspective, I haven't seen much evidence that serious overclocking potential exists. Some folks had cited speeds as high as 4.6 or 4.7; others couldn't reach 4.4. But if you're going to twist up the volts and show load wattage above 200W, I think a more serious -- "custom" -- cooling approach is called for.

This has all given me serious pause for pursuing a project for the skt-2011v.3 next year. One could throw an MO RA3 420 radiator on those processors, and you might keep the load temperatures within 10C of ambient. But there's little guarantee at this point that you could achieve higher clocks as a result. Especially -- if you chose to stay within an arbitrary voltage limit (less arbitrary for being chosen as "not excessive.")

groovieknave

Aug 29, 2014
Hey guys, sorry for the long wait... been enjoying the system. I'm new to this so I am not in the know about these programs.

I overclocked it in the BIOS with auto tuning, set it to high performance and it did everything for me. It's at 4.1ghz, 1.8vcore but that's auto settings. I'm sure someone smarter than me could make it work better. It also overclocked the memory for me as well.

I'll look into running this prime program and post the results for you.

I did try 4.5ghz and the system was not stable... I tried 4.4 and the same thing, system crashed numerous times just by being in windows. Either I don't know how to set this up manually, or the cpu just can't handle anything beyond 4.1ghz.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2005
Hey guys, sorry for the long wait... been enjoying the system. I'm new to this so I am not in the know about these programs.

I overclocked it in the BIOS with auto tuning, set it to high performance and it did everything for me. It's at 4.1ghz, 1.8vcore but that's auto settings. I'm sure someone smarter than me could make it work better. It also overclocked the memory for me as well.

I did try 4.5ghz and the system was not stable... I tried 4.4 and the same thing, system crashed numerous times just by being in windows. Either I don't know how to set this up manually, or the cpu just can't handle anything beyond 4.1ghz.

You should ask before overclocking your computer. 1.8vcore will kill the chip

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
I'm sure he doesn't mean 1.8v CPU voltage.. BIOS would warn before allowing that.
1409724052RMpI4aB8eP_2_3_l.gif

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004

I don't have a 5820K yet, so I can only advise "procedure." Set it back to stock settings. In BIOS, there's a monitoring screen that will tell you the VCORE with stock clocks and no powersaving EIST etc.

With whatever settings you have on the X99 board, you should be able to OC in "turbo" mode. You would start with the recorded baseline, and see how many 100Mhz increments you can bump it up before it crashes. Then adjust the load voltage again and go up in 100Mhz increments.

Oh. While I'm rambling on. It is too easy for folks to allow their RAM to get overclocked by accident in BIOS. Use the XMP profiles to set the RAM to spec, and assure that it continues to run at that speed as you OC the processor.

Mistakenly overclocked RAM is one sure way to get instability with otherwise-viable settings for the CPU.

Last edited:

groovieknave

Aug 29, 2014
Thanks, I'm sure the 1.8v is way too high, I see most people at 1.2 or 1.3 so... unless I'm reading something wrong, not sure how it managed to bump it up to that on auto tune.

I'll give this a go later tonight when I have more time. :)

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2005
Thanks, I'm sure the 1.8v is way too high, I see most people at 1.2 or 1.3 so... unless I'm reading something wrong, not sure how it managed to bump it up to that on auto tune.

I'll give this a go later tonight when I have more time. :)

Yeah you gotta watch to never use auto overclocking on ANY motherboard via bios options. RAM either.

groovieknave

Aug 29, 2014
Okay, actually I was looking at the input voltage...

I tried some of the tips here and now stress testing 4.5ghz at 1.275vcore and my memory overclocked from 2133 to 2600...

Running prime95, I will let you know how it goes. :) it is really slamming my cpu and during some tests I have gone to 76c but very briefly. Mostly at 55c now... so I assume that is good.

Last edited:

groovieknave

Aug 29, 2014
Alright, prime 95 passing all tests for about 30minutes now. I ran cinebench and got a score of 1305... guess I will let prime95 run for a couple of hours to make sure.

I can't seem to get linx to work on my pc... keeps not responding for some reason. Guess I will try aida64 next. :).... nevermind aida64 doesn't appear to support haswell I guess.

Anyway, looks good at 4.5ghz 1.275vcore 1.9 vinput so far...

After running realbench 2.2 for 30 minutes it passed and never went over 57c... prime95 is terrible! Lol

So, looks like I am very happy with this at 4.5ghz 1.275vcore!

Thanks everyone for putting up with my newbie questions and results.

I decided to buy the r295x2 to go with my samsung ud590 4k monitor. Can not wait to install it tomorrow. :) hopefully my 1000w power supply holds up... if not guess I will buy a better one.

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Okay, actually I was looking at the input voltage...

I tried some of the tips here and now stress testing 4.5ghz at 1.275vcore and my memory overclocked from 2133 to 2600...

Running prime95, I will let you know how it goes. :) it is really slamming my cpu and during some tests I have gone to 76c but very briefly. Mostly at 55c now... so I assume that is good.

You're on a learning curve. I WILL be on a learning curve with X99!!

If 76C is "peak" under Prime95-sFFT-test, and you're using an H110 AiO cooler, I'd say you still have about 5 to 10C of "headroom."

But you might still be able to tweak the 4.5 settings for more stability and even lower temperatures. I'm interested in this, because I'm using a D14 cooler with "special preparations" that make it perform the same as the 110 under the same Prime test and voltage.

Then -- look for another 100Mhz. With that processor and core-count, it would be schweet either way, I'd think. . .

I thought we might be at a crossroads with these hex-core bad-boys. This may not be entirely true.

The core sensors are not likely to be less prone to calibration error than earlier CPUs. Use any temperature-tracking program that saves the readings (taken every second or so) to a text file. Better -- less trouble -- use HWMonitor. Reset the Min/Max columns after ten minutes or so; take averages of the cores as Max and Min. That should give an idea of the overall temperatures.

I'm only guessing that one sensor "out-of-whack" could cause throttling if you go too high for a particular core, but it's an easy discipline to avoid it.

groovieknave

Aug 29, 2014
Yeah it's using cinebench15 :) Wasn't aware there was a different version! I'll try that 11.5 one and see what happens...

I tried 4.6ghz but I keep blue screening today... :/ I've tried the 1.3vcore but doesn't appear to help and I set my ram to default. Maybe there is a better core setting?

4.5ghz seems to be my max stable setting...

I've installed my r295x2 now, unfortunately I have to find a minidp cable because samsung nor XFX decided to ship a minidp cable. Grrr

groovieknave

Aug 29, 2014
Well, cinebench 11.5 shows a score of 14.89 and 147fps... not sure if that's good or bad. :)

Still going strong with 4.5ghz...

Been having A LOT of trouble with r295x2 right out of the box. Blue screens on almost every game or benchmark... I've taken my OC off and set to default, I even reinstalled windows to get rid of nvidia drivers.

atikmdag.sys seems to be the culprit, I've tried extracting it from AMDs driver set but that doesn't help. Can't seem to do anything with my 1000$ video card, I'm begging newegg to exchange it for 2 980s... sigh.