New to HTPC, fresh build need reccomendations

Gnarsh

Jan 21, 2015
Hey all, was thinking of buying a smart TV but I'd rather just get a PC to stream content, play emulators, etc.

Ok here's the build

Silverstone GD06B Micro ATX case
Intel Core i3-4130T Haswell cpu
Asus H97M-Plus mobo
Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB ram
Samsung 840 120G SSD hdd
Seasonic 360W 80+ Gold psu

I got this build from mymediaexperience.com - my concern is I'd like to get a faster processor in this PC. Preferrably quad core something or other. I don't know much of the technical aspects of what works with what, so I've turned to you experts!

My concern is I would like to 100% make sure the processor will work with this build, be able to fit in the case, and not require a bunch of extra fans to cool it. I want to make sure the PC is quiet - also note, I don't plan to overclock or do anything fancy.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
That processor is enough for your needs I would think. Honestly everything will work great, that is a HTPC that you could be proud of.

The only thing I would consider is maybe a Mini ITX build instead for space.

Gnarsh

Jan 21, 2015
The Intel Core i3-4130T Haswell cpu processor with its built in video card will stream 1080 blu ray quality rips from my other PC connected over the network ok? I notice the i3 processor in my build has the "4400" built in graphics.

The one Burpo reccomended has 4600 for built in graphics.
Much of a difference?
Thanks again!

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
That CPU has enough power to decode everything without even asking the GPU for help. Seriously. It will eat whatever you throw at it and ask for more.

What OS are you going to use? What software on that OS?

Gnarsh

Jan 21, 2015
I will use either WIndows 7 or Windows 10 when it comes out.

I will just use VLC media player and stream videos from my other PC that is hooked up to an external HD

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
The thing that works my HTPC the hardest is streaming out (my partner watches WMC's .wtv files in HD on a tablet. So while the HTPC could be recording up to six channels and playing something on the main TV (or Netflix, etc.) it also needs to do that HD streaming-out. All this is handled well by my box, but it's an i7-920 left over from my last desktop. It's easy to keep cool quietly though.

So it all depends on what you're going to do.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I would save a few bucks and not get the T version of any Intel CPU. You're really just paying more for the (same) CPU that is clocked down a bit. You could theoretically reduce the speed yourself on the regular CPU, but with the already minimal heat output, the standard model works just fine. If you're going for a super-tiny ITX case, the T version might make more sense.

markbeloved

Dec 16, 2014
I would instead get one of these. One of the best Android boxes out now for $180. It has some power. You can configure it to how you want. It has many interface ports.You can run Kodi and Plex on it. You can run emulators from the App store. It's half the cost of a HTPC. It will take 64GB SD card and you can network it with IPAD and PC to stream pictures and movies to it. Far superior to a Rasperry PI and Amazon Kindle Fire.

http://www.minix.com.hk/Products/NEO-X8-H-Plus-Android-TV.html

A air mouse tv remote control has mouse, remote and keyboard all in one and as good as using a PC mouse - http://www.amazon.co.uk/JUSTOP-F20-...UTF8&qid=1422045389&sr=1-2&keywords=air+mouse

Processor Quad-Core Cortex A9r4 Processor
GPU Octo-Core Mali 450
Memory 2GB DDR3
Internal Storage 16GB eMMC
Wireless Connectivity 802.11ac Dual Band Wi-Fi (2.4GHz/5.0GHz), Bluetooth 4.0
OS Android™ KitKat 4.4.2
Video Output HDMI™ 1.4b, up to 4K @ 30fps
Audio Output HDMI™ 1.4b, 3.5mm stereo jack, optical SPDIF
Peripheral Interface Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000Mbps)
SD/MMC card reader (SD 3.0, MMC V4.41), Support HDMI-CEC
USB 2.0 port x 3, OTG port x 1
Microphone jack, Headphone jack,IR receiver (remote included)
Power DC 5V, 3A adapter included (CE, FCC certified)
Supported Video Format DAT/MPEG/MPE/MPG/TS/TP/VOB/ISO/AVI/MP4/MOV/3GV/FLV
MKV/M2TS/MTS/M4V/WMV/ASF/RM/RMVB
Supported Audio Format DD/DD+/MP2/MP3/WMA/WAV/OGG/OGA/FLAC/ALAC/APE/AAC

Last edited:

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Dude, I hate to tell you but that Android box is a poor value.

In the ARM space the FireTV has a better SoC and better long-term support. Plus it has an official controller if you want emulators.

For the money a Chromebox running Openelec would eat that thing alive for power, content support or GUI usage. Oh and what you can do with emulators on x86 Linux with Rom Collection Browser blows away the touch emulators you will find on Android.

I love the rise of cheap ARM boxes, I love that for less than $50 you can get a stick that can run Kodi pretty well. With the iPad Air 2 we finally have an ARM SoC that can decode a Blu Ray on the CPU, it is great. But for the price that box is a rip. I love how the website advertises HEVC support even though freaking NVIDIA can't get the right on their top of the line GPUs. Once we get real content from 4K Blu Rays it will eat that box alive, it is only fit to decode cell phone 4k video.

Last edited:

markbeloved

Dec 16, 2014
Dude, I hate to tell you but that Android box is a poor value.

Not at all. It provides a better menu which is what users want. Quality over quantity. It is faster than the majority of boxes out there and navigating the android and kodi menus is slick with no stuttering at all and so is enough for the job. A chromebox with i3 and i7 cpu would cost much more and for speed you wouldn't really need for a HTPC.

If i add a 1TB or 2TB hard drive and a D-Link NAS box it still be cheaper than a HTPC.

It let you do practically all that you would want from a HTPC and for less money and with less running costs. Granted linux would run faster but the menu system wouldn't be as good as Android Launchers for ease of use. The Amazon has a slow ethernet connection. Even the Droid box is better than the Amazon Fire. The Minix is a little more than the Amazon Fire.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
That CPU has enough power to decode everything without even asking the GPU for help. Seriously. It will eat whatever you throw at it and ask for more.

What OS are you going to use? What software on that OS?

I will use either WIndows 7 or Windows 10 when it comes out.

I will just use VLC media player and stream videos from my other PC that is hooked up to an external HD

Dude, look into Kodi. It is like a pretty VLC. Otherwise I think you are set!

I still like Daum PotPlayer for a media player, used to use VLC for many years.

But yeah, for a HTPC what you have up there will have no problem at all.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Not at all. It provides a better menu which is what users want. Quality over quantity.

Dude.

Are you REALLY going to tell me that MINIX (who!?) is providing a better ten foot experience (IE driven by a remote) than freaking AMAZON?!?! No freaking way.

That MINIX is taking touch designed apps and forcing them to try to run in a ten foot fashion. Amazon has Netflix make an app FOR THEIR BOX and has their phone number if something goes wrong.

You are admitting you are going to drive that thing with a MOUSE, "users" don't want to use a freaking mouse to watch television. They want a remote, preferably something like a Logitech Harmony that is programed to handle all the inputs and stuff for them. They want apps designed for usage by the remote, which means a FireTV. It might work great for you, but you like me are a niche in the HTPC market.

It is faster than the majority of boxes out there

I will agree with that. It would kill a Pi.

and navigating the android and kodi menus is slick with no stuttering at all and so is enough for the job. A chromebox with i3 and i7 cpu would cost much more and for speed you wouldn't really need for a HTPC.

I am not talking about the i3 one. The celeron one would smoke that thing on single core performance and probably overall SoC performance.

If i add a 1TB or 2TB hard drive and a D-Link NAS box it still be cheaper than a HTPC.It let you do practically all that you would want from a HTPC and for less money and with less running costs.

Agreed. I will admit it provides an amazing amount of value compared to say 2013.

Granted linux would run faster but the menu system wouldn't be as good as Android Launchers for ease of use.

Yeah because a touch based system is better for a TV than the best 10 foot HTPC gui in existence. Amazon's FireTV was designed to be used with a remote. You do have to work a little to get Kodi intregrated, but after that it is all remote driven. That means the person off the street could come in your house and watch TV. Amazon focus groups, the kind of thing a Minix can't pay for, proved that.

The Amazon has a slow ethernet connection.

It has enough to stream a Blu Ray rip with ease. The FireTV is the best ARM box out there for most people, and for those of us who want the best living room experience the celeron Chromebox is the floor. I agree that the box you linked is fairly capable, but I disagree that it is some amazing value in the segment.

I would love for you to prove me wrong though. Try some 4k 10bit HEVC on there and if it plays I will happily eat crow. Hell I will buy one and put it in my sig.

Last edited: