New to F@H

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
I am downloading the F@H installer. Once I install it, what should I do?

Regards
Takumi

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Set your team number to 198. :cool:
Watch your CPU and GPU temperatures to make sure nothing overheats.

You'll probably want to set up SMP WUs and GPU work. (What hardware are you running these days anyway?) But I'll have to get reacquainted with that myself this weekend for the upcoming Holiday Season Race.

Sheep221

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2012
You just set up necessary things like amount of threads used, if you want to use only cpu and or gpu, or both and max CPU load, than you just start to receive work units. Distributed computing heavily uses computer resources so if you turn it on all the time, it may impact your performance in games and such. There is also option to fold only when computer is idle.

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
Set your team number to 198. :cool:
Watch your CPU and GPU temperatures to make sure nothing overheats.

You'll probably want to set up SMP WUs and GPU work. (What hardware are you running these days anyway?) But I'll have to get reacquainted with that myself this weekend for the upcoming Holiday Season Race.
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2554750

Also, it says its running but nothing is actually happening.
An ETA is not showing up, etc
23478913.png
What should I be doing now?

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Hi and welcome to the TeAm!

A workunit (WU) has to run for at least 1% before any estimates show up ... sometimes it has to run for 5%.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
if you're still rocking the E2140, it might take a while.

Correct me if I'm wrong, guys, but SMP WUs really require a quad-core CPU, don't they, in order to finish before the deadline? And non-SMP WUs are worth peanuts as far as points go?

Unless you have a half-decent NV graphics card, I don't know if I would start my DC career with F@H. Something like BOINC and Correlizer or WCG might be better for a dual-core.

Last edited:

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
if you're still rocking the E2140, it might take a while.

Correct me if I'm wrong, guys, but SMP WUs really require a quad-core CPU, don't they, in order to finish before the deadline? And non-SMP WUs are worth peanuts as far as points go?

Unless you have a half-decent NV graphics card, I don't know if I would start my DC career with F@H. Something like BOINC and Correlizer or WCG might be better for a dual-core.
:/

I do have a 9800gt but I can't use it since my PSU does not have a 6pin.

What would you recommend I do?

I downloaded BOINC as well.

Also, if i put my computer to hibernate/standby, will it keep folding?

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
:/

I do have a 9800gt but I can't use it since my PSU does not have a 6pin.
Well, that would be a problem. I have some spare 9600GSO cards, but again, they require a 6-pin connection.

What would you recommend I do?

I downloaded BOINC as well.

Also, if i put my computer to hibernate/standby, will it keep folding?

Install BOINC 7.0.28 or whatever the newest stable version is. Sign up for World Community Grid, and Correlizer. The TeAm is currently running a race in WCG, so any additional participation is encouraged. WCG WUs generally take one CPU core for each WU, so you can work on two WUs at the same time. It also generally plays nice with the rest of your system, so you can leave it running in the background while you use your computer, which is not so true of F@H.

For your second question, if you put your computer in hibernate or standby, the CPU will not crunch anything.

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
Well, that would be a problem. I have some spare 9600GSO cards, but again, they require a 6-pin connection.

Install BOINC 7.0.28 or whatever the newest stable version is. Sign up for World Community Grid, and Correlizer. The TeAm is currently running a race in WCG, so any additional participation is encouraged. WCG WUs generally take one CPU core for each WU, so you can work on two WUs at the same time. It also generally plays nice with the rest of your system, so you can leave it running in the background while you use your computer, which is not so true of F@H.

For your second question, if you put your computer in hibernate or standby, the CPU will not crunch anything.
Well F@H is working nicely with my computer, since I'm doing general word processing and such.

Can I run both F@H and BOINC?

Hopefully I can build a new computer soon, I want to help out!

edit: I can not connect to WCG BOINC for some reason. I put an exception in my firewall to allow it too

edit 2: installed F@H to my brothers laptop and its right now folding

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Can I run both F@H and BOINC?
Not really advisable. The deadline and WU time calculations will probably get messed up.

Hopefully I can build a new computer soon, I want to help out!
That's the spirit! It gets addicting building computers.

I have an AMD 2.8Ghz quad-core rig that I would be happy to sell you. I built it two years ago to sell, and it has just been collecting dust.

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
Not really advisable. The deadline and WU time calculations will probably get messed up.

That's the spirit! It gets addicting building computers.

I have an AMD 2.8Ghz quad-core rig that I would be happy to sell you. I built it two years ago to sell, and it has just been collecting dust.
Alrighty

VL, I see that you have a nice little quadcore 775 chip, is that collecting dust? You know I could put it to good use :)

Maybe once I get through high school and college I could start building some real crunchers

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Alrighty

VL, I see that you have a nice little quadcore 775 chip, is that collecting dust? You know I could put it to good use :)
I could let my NIB Q6600 go for $100, if it was used for crunching. I paid $210 for it, but it keeps getting worth less and less, I guess.

Maybe once I get through high school and college I could start building some real crunchers
Just wait till you have to pay your own electric bill for your crunchers!

TBH, you should probably get your parent's permission to crunch while living at home, because of the additional electricity costs. (though they won't be much additional, C2D chips already have high idle power costs)

Edit: If you have a Microcenter near you, they are clearancing out their 2500K CPUs, which can OC fairly easily to 4.5Ghz or so with a good air cooler, for $100 ea. Get a cheap Z68 board (Hot Deals thread.), and go to town. That would crunch F@H pretty well.

Last edited:

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
I could let my NIB Q6600 go for $100, if it was used for crunching. I paid $210 for it, but it keeps getting worth less and less, I guess.

Just wait till you have to pay your own electric bill for your crunchers!

TBH, you should probably get your parent's permission to crunch while living at home, because of the additional electricity costs. (though they won't be much additional, C2D chips already have high idle power costs)

Edit: If you have a Microcenter near you, they are clearancing out their 2500K CPUs, which can OC fairly easily to 4.5Ghz or so with a good air cooler, for $100 ea. Get a cheap Z68 board (Hot Deals thread.), and go to town. That would crunch F@H pretty well.
I live in North Carolina :(
I have the money for new parts, but not the grades apparently.
Also I won't have my computer on 24/7, only when I'm home (which I usually do)

With the money right now (550ish) I could build a i5 build easy, and I may acquire my friends x4 build sooner or later (x4, 4gb ram, 5770)

Also VL, the problem is, newer and greater tech is coming out that is more efficient and just as fast (or close) at a lower cost :/ AND its on a dead platform D:

Last edited: