New to 4K gaming, fail to see the big whoop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Just because I didn't spend 3k on a TV makes mine garbage. And the 480 is just fine for 4k.
And whatever you spent doesn't make it any good, or make it a smart purchase. That's a poor retort.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
How are you guys gaming at 4k with RX 480 and GTX 970? I tried playing Witcher 3 at 4k medium and couldn't even keep 30 fps on my GTX 970.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
85" and up I consider "bigger" preferably 120" and up. proper big screen like a theater.
Being a nyc apartment dweller I just don't have the space. Years ago I had an 80" Vizio but my apartment was bigger then.

JoeBleed

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2000
How are you guys gaming at 4k with RX 480 and GTX 970? I tried playing Witcher 3 at 4k medium and couldn't even keep 30 fps on my GTX 970.

In BF4 it will run ok. turn off all of the AA functions . but i didn't mess with it for long. it was hard to read some text. specifically the console when typing in the command to show fps. it ran ok. dropping it from ultra to high helped. it's a struggle, but it did it. Can't remember if the chat window shrunk with 4k res or not. Think i had to drop it to medium for high ticket rate servers.

BF1 didn't do as well. but i don't play that much. it's been a bit of a disappointment to me. maps are nice and pretty, but something about the mechanics i still don't feel ok with.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010

that's fairly normal... W3 is a pretty graphically intensive game and I would think GTX 980 would be the minimum. the 970 will definitely run the game but all bets are off in regards to what settings you'll be able to use. 8GB memory for textures is what can really help with 4K capable titles, which is why the RX 480 can manage a bit more pixels. it will depend on the game too, of course, but for the most part 30fps without sacrificing too much quality is going to be quite taxing on that GPU.

pj-

May 5, 2015
4k is nice but HDR is a much bigger deal to me. The difference between playing Destiny 2 on my HDR tv and my 1440p gsync monitor is night and day.

Part of it is probably just the higher quality of the screen in general, but the depth of color in HDR makes the monitor look so washed out and dull in comparison.

I'd pay a lot of money for a 4k hdr oled monitor.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
4k is nice but HDR is a much bigger deal to me. The difference between playing Destiny 2 on my HDR tv and my 1440p gsync monitor is night and day.

Part of it is probably just the higher quality of the screen in general, but the depth of color in HDR makes the monitor look so washed out and dull in comparison.

I'd pay a lot of money for a 4k hdr oled monitor.
I was looking at some 4K HDR oled tv at bestbuy during lunch today. They do look fabulous but at $3000+ thats a bit much. In a couple of years it should drop considerably in price.

pj-

May 5, 2015
I was looking at some 4K HDR oled tv at bestbuy during lunch today. They do look fabulous but at $3000+ thats a bit much. In a couple of years it should drop considerably in price.

If you're interested, check out the OLED deals sub-forum on avs. You can get a 65" lg B7A oled for about $2200 from several legit but not well known sellers (I got mine from cleveland plasma). Then you use your credit card to price match one of the several scammy sites that advertise a ridiculously low price (you don't want to actually buy from them because they will try to bait and switch you).

I paid $2350 for my tv a little while ago and then did a $500 price protection claim on my chase card. Net price $1850, compared to best buy's $2600 "sale price". They may even drop a few hundred more as black friday approaches.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Look, you're not contributing to the op, so just go away.
I'm not contributing? We were having a discussion. I can't help it if your argument was worthless.

But sure, I can leave this thread alone.