New Texas voter restrictions based on "purity of the ballot box". Guess what that means?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
That phrase has an ugly history in the state of Texas which is why they chose it. They tried to claim ignorance but we all know what this is about

In Article 6, Section 4 of the Texas Constitution, the phrase is also used in reference to “white primaries” in an effort to keep Black people from voting, according to the Texas State Historical Association.

The Republican that crafted this new law if being question by Rep. Rafael Anchcia

Rep. Rafael Anchia schools Republicans after 'purity of the ballot box' bill - TheGrio

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
You have to give them some kind of credit, Modern Republicans don't even try to be sneaky about things anymore. Bold, they are. And half the country seems fine with it.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Last edited:

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
A 5 second Google search would have revealed what it meant, this ass-wipe knew damm well and want's to cow-tow to the racist right, what a giant POS.

Reactions: skyking and Pohemi

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Brisco Cain or however you spell his name is considered one of the worst legislators in the history of Texas. He’s essentially the Ted Cruz of the Texas Lege. He hasn’t been there that long but he is universally loathed by almost everyone.

It’s like Dewey(thats who he looks like) from Malcolm in the Middle grew up and became a racist.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You think they stripped it out because it was the wrong or they did it because they got caught?

Just like Georgia tried to ban Sunday voting, same question.

Be honest. Yeah I know you can't be in their heads, I'm asking for an educated guess.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Don’t let a dishonest troll derail the thread. That it was ever in the bill is all the evidence necessary.
I'm giving him a chance to give an honest answer. My guess he will bail and say he doesn't know. I keep tryin'

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
I'm guessing they're be a "sorry some people were upset" apology if there is any at all.

No question these people know how to throw a bone to the people that support them. They may not be good at governing, but the GOP is VERY good at dog-whistling.

Reactions: iRONic and Pohemi

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
You think they stripped it out because it was the wrong or they did it because they got caught?

Just like Georgia tried to ban Sunday voting, same question.

Be honest. Yeah I know you can't be in their heads, I'm asking for an educated guess.

I tend to think Cain didnt know of the history of the phrase (I doubt many of us did before reading about this week. I know I didnt know.).

"“I guess I thought purity meaning ‘not having fraud in it’ or something,” he told Anchía.

But, I know its popular to interpret anything a Republican says or does as racist, so theres that. But until proven otherwise, I tend to take people at their word, no matter who they are. With that said, if Cain has a history of saying or doing racist things, then yeah. Id say he lied through his teetch.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
I tend to think Cain didnt know of the history of the phrase (I doubt many of us did before reading about this week. I know I didnt know.).

"“I guess I thought purity meaning ‘not having fraud in it’ or something,” he told Anchía.

But, I know its popular to interpret anything a Republican says or does as racist, so theres that. But until proven otherwise, I tend to take people at their word, no matter who they are. With that said, if Cain has a history of saying or doing racist things, then yeah. Id say he lied through his teetch.

Cain is known trash in Texas, even amongst Republicans. So it’s not that much to assume.

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Why did you quote my post from another thread in this one? Lol
At least on my phone, quoted replies will accidentally carry over between tabs and threads.

So if I hit the quote/reply button to you here in one tab, but never complete the post...and then complete a post in another thread on a different tab, the forum software will include the quote from the 1st thread in the post on the 2nd thread. It can be very annoying.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Honestly I didn't know until I saw the story. However anyone steeped in Texas politics either knows or should know. That's why the other Democrat was able to call him out on live on the floor. At a minimum shouldn't Cain resign?

Are you aware one of the goal of Republicans is to enact new restriction when there is an appearance of race neutrality. Remember. poll taxes? The argument was "every one has to pay them" Remember literacy tests? "Everyone has to take them".

I don't live in Georgia nor am I a politician but I knew attempting to ban Sunday voting in Georgia was just to disenfranchise black people. Pay attention to what's just below the surface.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
At least on my phone, quoted replies will accidentally carry over between tabs and threads.

So if I hit the quote/reply button to you here in one tab, but never complete the post...and then complete a post in another thread on a different tab, the forum software will include the quote from the 1st thread in the post on the 2nd thread. It can be very annoying.
BTDT.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Honestly I didn't know until I saw the story. However anyone steeped in Texas politics either knows or should know. That's why the other Democrat was able to call him out on live on the floor. At a minimum shouldn't Cain resign?

Are you aware one of the goal of Republicans is to enact new restriction when there is an appearance of race neutrality. Remember. poll taxes? The argument was "every one has to pay them" Remember literacy tests? "Everyone has to take them".

I don't live in Georgia nor am I a politician but I knew attempting to ban Sunday voting in Georgia was just to disenfranchise black people. Pay attention to what's just below the surface.

Link?