New terminal server, MS license question

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
So, I am in the final stages of updating all of my companies servers. The last server to upgrade is our remote server. On the old (current) server I have office 2003 and my remote users (10 total) only use the standard word/excel/outlook stuff and one user uses Access 2003 as its the frontend to the companies sql database. So, for terminal servers do I need 10 licenses or one? Also, MS licensing is confusing to say the least. I want the cheapest legal way but they make everything confusing. Any real info would be greatly appreciated. Calling MS only has them trying to force my company to to the office 365 bullcrap.

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
For every "machine," you need an individual office license. That license is valid for any user logging into that machine.

10 people logging into one workstation/server = 1 license.
10 people logging into 10 separate virtual machines hosted on 1 server = 10 licenses.
5 people logging into 1 virtual machine = 1 license.

If you want to install office directly on the server OS as well, that's another license.

Easiest way to think about it is that every individual OS installation needs its own Office license if you want to install Office on it. Doesn't matter if it's bare metal or virtual, locally accessed or terminal services.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
For every "machine," you need an individual office license. That license is valid for any user logging into that machine.

10 people logging into one workstation/server = 1 license.
10 people logging into 10 separate virtual machines hosted on 1 server = 10 licenses.
5 people logging into 1 virtual machine = 1 license.

If you want to install office directly on the server OS as well, that's another license.

Easiest way to think about it is that every individual OS installation needs its own Office license if you want to install Office on it. Doesn't matter if it's bare metal or virtual, locally accessed or terminal services.

Ah! Good to know. Thanks!