Question New system crashing

godge1080p

Mar 24, 2022
Not sure if this is the right place to put this but here goes.

Just built myself a new system recently consisting of the following:

Ryzen 5 5600G
Gigabye Aorus B550 AX V2
Corsair RX550 PSU
Samsung evo plus 500gb m.2
Corsair 3600 16gb Ram.

I have built this system to do some video encoding with handbrake but it can't seem to encode for longer than 2 minutes before the system crashes and reboots. I've checked the temps whilst running, VRM's and chipset are all in the 20's and the cpu getting to a maximum of 85 but no thermal throttling is occuring. The issue only seems to happen when the system is under full load doing an encode. Anything else runs fine on it, if I don't run handbrake I wouldn't even know there was an issue with the system.

Does anyone have any idea as to why the system would be crashing like this? This basically makes my system unusable for the purpose i need it to

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Top culprits are MOBO / RAM typically.

HB is usually focused on either the CPU / GPU though,

I run a 12700K / 16GB and have no issues with it. Even on the 8700K I was using prior had no issues. Also, I'm running it in Linux if that makes a difference. I also have a program that invokes HB in Windows as well running on a 9750H that doesn't have any issues either.

godge1080p

Mar 24, 2022
Top culprits are MOBO / RAM typically.

HB is usually focused on either the CPU / GPU though,

I run a 12700K / 16GB and have no issues with it. Even on the 8700K I was using prior had no issues. Also, I'm running it in Linux if that makes a difference. I also have a program that invokes HB in Windows as well running on a 9750H that doesn't have any issues either.

I never had an issue on my old system either running it, but clearly there is something going on thag causes the computer to crap itself when under load

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I tend to stick with ASRock MOBO's though I've also used MSI as well. gigabyte seems to have some issues across their products though along with asus and their latest snafu reversing the polarity of a capacitor and causing the board to die / catch fire.

There's been a ton of RAM issues mentioned with Corsair in the past as well. It might be the CPU but, it doesn't sound like that would be the issue if everything else runs fine. CPU is usually more of a works or doesn't without much in between.

PSU is least likely as it's the same as the CPU in functionality. I tried a RX model on one build and it was DOA and swapped to ECGA on a couple of builds now and they're great for consistent power.

Maybe someone else will chime in RE specific HW matching yours being an issue.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
When the system crashes, do you get a BSOD? (assuming you are on Windows) If so, what is the stop code, or the error it gives?

Jul 27, 2020
I hate saying this over and over again but Corsair and Gigabyte seem not to like each other. I speak from personal hair pulling experience.

Is that a single 16GB stick of RAM or two sticks of 8GB?

If single stick, try putting the stick in different slots to see if that solves the problem.

If two sticks, try running with just one stick in different slots and see what happens.

Another thing to try: take out the Corsair RAM and try a different brand of RAM if you have it lying around or if you can borrow from a friend.

One more thing: Try relaxing the RAM timings or running it at DDR4-3200.