New studies show conservatives ignore facts more than liberals

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
As if our own forum wasn't proof enough...

http://www.alternet.org/right-wing-...e-facts-more-liberals?akid=9330.138890.dqXRsc

In the study, Liu and Ditto report, conservatives tilted their views of the facts to favor their moral convictions more than liberals did, on every single issue. And that was true whether it was a topic that liberals oppose (the death penalty) or that conservatives oppose (embryonic stem cell research). “Conservatives are doing this to a larger degree across four different issues,” Liu explained in an interview. “Including two that are leaning to the liberal side, not the conservative side.”

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Those studies already start out with a politcal goal in mind. You don't think they are going to structure the questions to suit their goal?

Did you actually read that study, or just link to it as the gospel?

In 2 out of the 3 studies all the participants were undergraduate students. Really got a wide demographic there :)

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Those studies already start out with a politcal goal in mind. You don't think they are going to structure the questions to suit their goal?

In 2 out of the 3 studies all the participants were undergraduate students. Really got a wide demographic there :)

Just a reminder that Matt1970 thought an onion style article that made a democrat 'look bad' was real, just for context of the OP.

This is why an Onion style news network like Fox News is able to exist (except they broadcast falsehoods unironically, unlike the Onion).

Edit: Also, Stephen Colbert was right: a) Reality has a liberal bias and b) Conservatives think with their gut, not their brain (only 'pussy liberals' think with their brains).

Apr 27, 2012
Just a reminder that Matt1970 thought an onion style article that made a democrat 'look bad' was real, just for context of the OP.

This is why an Onion style news network like Fox News is able to exist (except they broadcast falsehoods unironically, unlike the Onion).

Edit: Also, Stephen Colbert was right: a) Reality has a liberal bias and b) Conservatives think with their gut, not their brain (only 'pussy liberals' think with their brains).

And the rest of the msm isn't biased

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000

This just in - Matt1970 proves the finding in this study.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/i...e-neuroscience-of-liberals-and-conservatives/

This blog posted in Discover Magazine talks about recent separate studies that have come to findings about correlations between particular brain structures and political views.

It may seem like a stretch to say that one could predict whether you lean left or right by looking at a brain scan—no questions asked, no opinions voiced—purely based on your neuroanatomy. However, this might not be too far from reality—at least insofar as predicting thinking style, which has been shown to be somewhat distinct based on party association.
Does brain structure determine your beliefs, or do your beliefs change your brain structure? What about those who switch parties at some point? How do they fit in to this model? We’ll be discussing all of this. It’s a complicated issue with lots of variables in play, so we’re going to take a pretty deep look into this topic from all angles, so we can draw the most accurate conclusions.
Please keep in mind from the beginning that this is not an endorsement of any one political party. This is science—we’ll just be discussing the data. Ready?
This blog entry is fairly informative and the author includes references at the end (before the comments).

Interesting reading. Instead of spinning study findings why not look at them first?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007

Eww, I got fooled by an onion article that someone had to look up on Wikipedia to find out it was an onion site. Ya really got me there. What ever shall I do with the total humiliation.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Liberals lack the ability to reason on economics. They keep on advocating raising the top marginal income tax rate when it wont achieve their goal of reducing inequalities in wealth, because those who are truly wealthy just use a tax haven. They also think that public monetary policy (pure greenbackism) will help the poor and hurt special interests when that is definitely not the case. If companies get subsidies, then why wouldn't congress just loan to the well connected for free?
Also, most people who self identify as "conservative" these days are actually not really pro-market, they're pro business.

Conservatism is liberalism (and vice versa) anyway, because all enforcement of the law must distort the market. People can simply be labeled libertarian (market anarchists and confederalists) or statist (republicans and monarchists).

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
I dont know what youre talking about but I can already tell you that democrats ignore the facts more I dont even have to look at the chart to prove that
;)

Nov 29, 2006
I dont know what youre talking about but I can already tell you that democrats ignore the facts more I dont even have to look at the chart to prove that
;)

Fellow P&N...as we can all see by this demonstration right here that the article in the OP is true :)

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Democrats seem to whine a lot when the facts do not favor them.

Or pretend that they control every fact.

Face it; both sides feel they are in the proper side and they can always find the backing for it.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
To be a tech site, ostensibly patronized by intelligent people, this forum has some of the stupidest, disingenuous, intellectually dishonest, and just plain sociopathic excuses for human beings this side of /b. I don't know if the toleration for such people is insouciance, pretense to honoring the First Amendment, or tacit approval. What I do know is it's a fucking embarrassment. I won't be participating any further.

P.S. Fuck you, too, to the inevitable "Good riddance." Most of you deserve each other.

Apr 27, 2012
To be a tech site, ostensibly patronized by intelligent people, this forum has some of the stupidest, disingenuous, intellectually dishonest, and just plain sociopathic excuses for human beings this side of /b. I don't know if the toleration for such people is insouciance, pretense to honoring the First Amendment, or tacit approval. What I do know is it's a fucking embarrassment. I won't be participating any further.

P.S. Fuck you, too, to the inevitable "Good riddance." Most of you deserve each other.

And many of them are left wingers :D

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006

So a liberials good mind looks at the helpless and says lets help them . Which even a conservative sees also . But the conservative is less likely to make laws to make sure that hand up turns into generations of hand outs. That grows and grows to the point taxes can no longer support the onced offerred hand up that turned into generations of handouts that causes others to say screw it . I want the handout . It grows to the point were we all extend our hand . But none can get handout now because no tax dollars to support the hand outs . Thats the differance between retard conservatives and genious liberials . The conservative only wants to offer a helping hand up . The Liberial wants to make it a lifetime handout and allow the beast to grow. Ya liberials are smart alright???

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Eww, I got fooled by an onion article that someone had to look up on Wikipedia to find out it was an onion site.

For the record, since I believe I was the one who first noticed it was a spoof site, that's not what happened. IIRC I wrote "that sounds like an Onion piece" even before I figured out the site was satire -- and to do that, all I had to do was read the site's "about" information.

That's something you could have done yourself, but you were more interested in trying to trash your enemies than ensuring that what you posted was reasonable.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
For the record, since I believe I was the one who first noticed it was a spoof site, that's not what happened. IIRC I wrote "that sounds like an Onion piece" even before I figured out the site was satire -- and to do that, all I had to do was read the site's "about" information.

That's something you could have done yourself, but you were more interested in trying to trash your enemies than ensuring that what you posted was reasonable.

The thread in question...

\agree with you, Kozierok.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

This is exactly what I said happens in a forum that allows insult and posting of personal opinion without reasoned arguments, the reasonable people will quit the forum leaving the horse's asses behind to vomit on each other.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Eww, I got fooled by an onion article that someone had to look up on Wikipedia to find out it was an onion site. Ya really got me there. What ever shall I do with the total humiliation.

I would think you're used to the humiliation by now.