New Steam UI is awesome

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
It even lets me play games in the future!

tomorrow.png

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
The Steam overlay isn't working properly for me when in a game, but other than that I think the new UI is a huge improvement.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
The Steam overlay isn't working properly for me when in a game, but other than that I think the new UI is a huge improvement.

Yeah, it seems to be pretty nice overall. I've noticed some weird bugs in the overlay myself, mostly "blank" notification panels appearing from time to time.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Yeah, it seems to be pretty nice overall. I've noticed some weird bugs in the overlay myself, mostly "blank" notification panels appearing from time to time.

Yea mine are blank sometimes as well but I'm like meh it's a Beta and you have to expect those kinds of things.

DarkForceRising

Apr 16, 2005
Why does my Steam not look like that?

They're currently beta testing a new Steam UI. You can opt in by going to options and clicking the beta button on (I think) the first tab.

Edit:

For the blank notifications, that's stuff in in-game overlay? If it's what I think it is, there's a temporary fix that's been floating around. Add -no-dwrite to your Steam shortcut ("C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -no-dwrite). This apparently disables DirectWrite or somesuch on Vista and Win7, and that fixed the blank notifications issue for me.

Last edited:

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I'll wait for them to get the kinks worked out. I can live with the current UI for now.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Heard it has some really annoying bugs/features but some good ones as well. Would like them to implement offline messaging for steam buddies somehow...just a thought off the top o' me noggin.