New Stardock Tech 'Throws Goo on DRM,' Allows Gamers to Resell Downloaded Games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Originally posted by: AyashiKaibutsu
Originally posted by: SunnyD

On the surface, it's basically like SecuROM with EA's revoke tool built in. Underneath the surface, it doesn't fuck up your machine by installing a rootkit. Basically, it's DRM done right.

and if your computer gets mucked up before you can revoke, you don't lose that particular activation. An important distinction imo.

Yes, that is an important distinction. There are no install limits to worry about, so if your computer crashes and you can't uninstall the game you don't have to worry. And you don't have to go through the potential headache of uninstalling multiple games just to reformat, install a new OS, graphics card, etc.. Much more customer friendly approach.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Originally posted by: skace
The only way this can possibly work is if Stardock has a singular trade vehicle with which all trades are done through and logged. And I'm betting the whole trade group here won't be happy about that situation.

This scenario has happened a million times over in MMOs. Someone care to explain how it is different here?

3. It opens the door to gamers being able to resell their games because users can voluntarily disable their game access and transfer their license ownership to another user.

Sounds like you have to transfer the license to another user through their system. At least that's how the above statement reads to me.

Rowboat

May 25, 2007
Originally posted by: nitromullet
Originally posted by: mindcycle
Originally posted by: mundane
I'd love if Steam did this, but it goes against their business model (either Valve's or some of the larger publishers pushing their content)

Yep, I agree it's highly unlikely Steam would adopt this, unless it's hugely successful or something like that. I just thought i'd pose the question for discussion.

The thing that I really don't get about Steam is that they could even profit on used game sales. What they should do it let you sell your used games directly through Steam, take a cut from the sale, and add/revoke access to the sold game. Sure, they wouldn't make as much as they do with new games, but they could also maybe only let you sell games that are a certain age. Plus, they would have complete control over the entire transaction, so they could prevent fraud. They could basically operate a virtual GameStop if they wanted to.

The idea of buying and selling used physical games seems to appeal to Amazon, why not Steam with virtual games?

Well, when buying a used game there is a certain level of risk involved. I might get completely ripped off, the case may be covered in maple syrup, etc. With a digital download there would be no downside to buying used, and if steam is selling it, there is no difference on their end from providing you with a new game versus a used game, yet they don't get the new game price.

Not that I agree with blocking used game sales, but from their point of view why not just lower the price of the original game and keep 100% of the proffit.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Well truth be told, I haven't been wowed by any Stardock offerings. SoSE seemed like it'd be the perfect game for me, but in the end it bored me to tears. Never even got past the demo. Demigod *might* be good if the online play is good. That will require tight balancing, good online features and a strong community. I'm not about to buy a lousy game just because it's DRM free. And the funny thing is, if Demigod were on Steam, and the Steam community could be used for finding good players and setting up matches, then that would be a plus. But it's not, so I'll have to wait and see.

Say what you will about Valve and Steam, but they work hard to put out quality products and Steam adds value to games that, in my mind, balances out the DRM restrictions it places. If Stardock can do the same, more power to them. But I want to see an awesome game from the first before getting wrapped up in the DRM side discussion.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: mindcycle
Sounds like you have to transfer the license to another user through their system. At least that's how the above statement reads to me.

Yep, the only way, and I still think that's going to cause a lot of heartache. But we shall see. I understand what they are doing, they see the market possibilities of having dominance in this new distribution model and will do anything to gain the popularity. Honestly, despite owning their games, I haven't given Stardock a fair chance on this medium. I'm situated and not looking forward to transitioning to something unless it is eons better.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I almost pre-ordered Elemental after reading this... but $50 is still more than I'd like to pay, even to support the principle here.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
I almost pre-ordered Elemental after reading this... but $50 is still more than I'd like to pay, even to support the principle here.

Yeah, they should really knock the DD price down to $40 like they did for Demigod. I'm not sure why they haven't done that.