New Stardock Tech 'Throws Goo on DRM,' Allows Gamers to Resell Downloaded Games

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Sorry, this article is a bit old, but I just ran across it.

Elemental: War of Magic developer and Sins of a Solar Empire publisher Stardock today unveiled Goo, a new technology that the company claims will solve common publisher and consumer complaints with digitally distributed games and DRM.

Short for "Game Object Obfuscation," Goo will let developers "encapsulate their game executable into a container that includes the original executable plus Impulse Reactor, Stardock's [suite of developer tools], into a single encrypted file."

The first time a player runs a "Goo'd" game, they will need to enter their e-mail address and serial number for online activation. The game is then tied to a user's account, with Stardock adding that "the game never needs to connect to the Internet again."

"[Goo] finally makes possible a way for gamers and publishers to transfer game licenses to players in a secure and reliable fashion," said Stardock CEO Brad Wardell.

3. It opens the door to gamers being able to resell their games because users can voluntarily disable their game access and transfer their license ownership to another user.

This is awesome IMO, and something Steam should look into adopting. What do you guys think?

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/57857

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Originally posted by: mundane
I'd love if Steam did this, but it goes against their business model (either Valve's or some of the larger publishers pushing their content)

Yep, I agree it's highly unlikely Steam would adopt this, unless it's hugely successful or something like that. I just thought i'd pose the question for discussion.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Originally posted by: mindcycle
Originally posted by: mundane
I'd love if Steam did this, but it goes against their business model (either Valve's or some of the larger publishers pushing their content)

Yep, I agree it's highly unlikely Steam would adopt this, unless it's hugely successful or something like that. I just thought i'd pose the question for discussion.

The thing that I really don't get about Steam is that they could even profit on used game sales. What they should do it let you sell your used games directly through Steam, take a cut from the sale, and add/revoke access to the sold game. Sure, they wouldn't make as much as they do with new games, but they could also maybe only let you sell games that are a certain age. Plus, they would have complete control over the entire transaction, so they could prevent fraud. They could basically operate a virtual GameStop if they wanted to.

The idea of buying and selling used physical games seems to appeal to Amazon, why not Steam with virtual games?

WildW

Oct 3, 2008
evilpicard.com
It's a nice move from Stardock, and much appreciated. I do have to wonder though, if the situation were reversed and Stardock were in Steam's market position, would they still be doing it.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Sounds like a nice idea. There are very few games I'd resell, but I do have a couple. Empire Total War comes to mind. Unplayable POS.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
well damn, after months of hating brad on the forums he took most of my ammo away (or for you dumb@#$@ twits like cheezwiz, this is what happens when enough people complain).

Still not thrilled about having to log into your account so much during install and such, but being able to remove the game from your account listing is a major improvement.

Ayrahvon

Aug 7, 2007
Stardock was already so far ahead of everyone else, I was so happy to read about this. Now, if only others would follow their example; I'm guessing they won't until Stardock starts taking a larger chunk of their profits away from them.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Originally posted by: Ayrahvon
Stardock was already so far ahead of everyone else, I was so happy to read about this. Now, if only others would follow their example; I'm guessing they won't until Stardock starts taking a larger chunk of their profits away from them.

Let's hope that happens, i'm all for Stardock. I really agree with their business practices and their stance on DRM. Instead of only making decisions based on what they predict with increase sales (like draconian DRM or releasing dumbed down console ports), they actually listen to what PC gamers want.

Who here is buying Demigod?

Jack Flash

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2006
This won't take off. At best Steam will someday offer you 'trade-in' credit on your licensed games.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
it's still DRM - you still have to ask for permission to resell the game to someone else. However, it is better than having the game forever linked to your ass like STEAM currently requires. :)

Interesting discussion on the official forums about "Goo":

DRM being goo'd on!

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
That would be awesome. My major gripe with downloads is that I cant resell it when Im done.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: PhatoseAlpha
Oh look, an anti-drm publicity stunt by Stardock. That's new. Wait, no, no it's not.

And their sales will increase because of it. I'll be buying Demigod.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Oh look, an anti-drm publicity stunt by Stardock. That's new. Wait, no, no it's not.

QFT

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004

Theyre giving people what they want and are making them aware of it... crazy strategy :roll:

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com

It's DRM only to the point where it ties a title to a particular person for the duration it is being used. It's not invasive (no rootkits, drivers, daily phone-home, activation limits, etc), and when you're done it leaves absolutely no trace behind (deactivate game, sell it, delete it, it's gone).

On the surface, it's basically like SecuROM with EA's revoke tool built in. Underneath the surface, it doesn't fuck up your machine by installing a rootkit. Basically, it's DRM done right.

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000

QFT

I bought it already :), considering the fact there games has no DRM and doesn't require a client to run on. (a la Steam)

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Originally posted by: SunnyD

On the surface, it's basically like SecuROM with EA's revoke tool built in. Underneath the surface, it doesn't fuck up your machine by installing a rootkit. Basically, it's DRM done right.

and if your computer gets mucked up before you can revoke, you don't lose that particular activation. An important distinction imo.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003

QFT

Yep, purely because of their anti-DRM stance, I went to Impulse to check it out.

I just preordered Demigod and am demoing Multiplicity when I get home tonight - if it works well, I'm buying a license of that too.

So yeah, compare that to Spore that despite the mediocre reviews here I'd like to play but won't purchase the way it's packaged.

Call it a stunt all you want - it just got them two sales.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: AyashiKaibutsu
Originally posted by: SunnyD

and if your computer gets mucked up before you can revoke, you don't lose that particular activation. An important distinction imo.

Yeah that too.

cirrhosis

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2005
[
Who here is buying Demigod?

Preordered it Monday. I've been very pleased with every SD release thus far; even though GPG have made some clunkers, the fact that Wardell has helped supervise this venture has really excited me. Sins was an awesome release and I have every indication to believe the same is true for Demigod.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Stardock is going to see the same problems as MMO developers see, which is why every MMO developer bans resale of accounts. Here is the scenario:

Player 1 buys "Demigod" and get's S/N to use.
Player 1 beats Demigod and removes S/N from account.
Player 1 ebays Demigod S/N to player 2.
Player 1 then realizes he still wants to play Demigod but doesn't want to pay for it again
Player 1 calls Stardock and claims his S/N was "stolen" and that it was rightfully his, he has proof of purchase, etc. Naturally, he reclaims his license and in the process fucks over Player 2.

The only way this can possibly work is if Stardock has a singular trade vehicle with which all trades are done through and logged. And I'm betting the whole trade group here won't be happy about that situation.

This scenario has happened a million times over in MMOs. Someone care to explain how it is different here?