new ssd help

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
ok so just want to install os in an ssd planning to buy 120gb only which one will you suggest i am from india after sales service must be good in case i need rma thanks

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
In that case, look for Samsung, Crucial, or maybe Kingston or WD/Sandisk. I don't know if they have budget brands like Team or Mushkin there, or if they offer warranty service.

But Samsung and Crucial are the two biggest ones, maybe Toshiba and WD/Sandisk are close seconds.

I can't recall the last time that I really needed to warranty an SSD, I've had so few of them fail. (And I buy factory refurbs, and budget brands, a lot.) Had a couple of Silicon Power fail, don't know if I want to trust them anymore. Adata is good in a pinch too, decent quality mostly, cheaper, decent warranty these days too.

What motherboard / CPU and what OS are you planning on using? Most modern OSes "support" SSDs. (Really, support TRIM properly.)

Secondarily, do you REALLY want to get a 120GB size? That can be severely performance-limiting on some drive designs, giving you not only half the capacity of a 250GB-class drive model, but also half the performance.

I would STRONGLY look for a 250GB-class drive.

hardcore_gamer29

Jul 24, 2013
In that case, look for Samsung, Crucial, or maybe Kingston or WD/Sandisk. I don't know if they have budget brands like Team or Mushkin there, or if they offer warranty service.

But Samsung and Crucial are the two biggest ones, maybe Toshiba and WD/Sandisk are close seconds.

I can't recall the last time that I really needed to warranty an SSD, I've had so few of them fail. (And I buy factory refurbs, and budget brands, a lot.) Had a couple of Silicon Power fail, don't know if I want to trust them anymore. Adata is good in a pinch too, decent quality mostly, cheaper, decent warranty these days too.

What motherboard / CPU and what OS are you planning on using? Most modern OSes "support" SSDs. (Really, support TRIM properly.)

Secondarily, do you REALLY want to get a 120GB size? That can be severely performance-limiting on some drive designs, giving you not only half the capacity of a 250GB-class drive model, but also half the performance.

I would STRONGLY look for a 250GB-class drive.
thanks for replying i want to install os only in ssd i have windows 10 64bit cpu i5 2500 motherboard asus b75m lx

SlowBox

Jul 4, 2018
With a slew of 6 month big updates, You will need 150GB. Also don't forget all the huge updates take up space on drive too. Your going to need 120GB for OS, and 40GB needs to be available for when it downloads the big update every 6 months. good luck

Reactions: hardcore_gamer29

JoeBleed

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2000
as others have said 250 GB minimum. unless you're working with testing only or something special or specifically small. We are assuming you're going with windows as the OS.

If you're not doing dual booting or just testing and you plan on installing windows OS on the "120 GB" drive and telling programs to install to another drive, that works for a lot, but not everything. many programs still store some data on C regardless of where it's told to be installed. Excluding windows updates, your free space on a 120 GB drive will decrease.

Reactions: hardcore_gamer29