New SSD can not set P5W DH m/b to AHCI without crashing

iknowalittle

Feb 11, 2017
Hi all

I have just fitted my first SSD (Samsung evo 250gb) into my auld P5W DH and was expecting great things. The transfer of data/OS from the old HD was faultless using the software that Samsung supplied …..however the drives no quicker and a little web browsing tells me I have to set ACHI mode in bios.

Unfortunately when I set AHCI under IDI config in bios, upon reboot windows tells me that it “ran into problems and has to restart” repeatedly

Samsung Magician says:-

ACHI mode is deactivated

Unable to detect sata interface details

Help please….and I’m no techie so be gentle

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Easiest way is to reinstall Windows with the settings in BIOS to enable AHCI.
What OS you using?

iknowalittle

Feb 11, 2017
Hi Elixer

Windows 10.

I was hoping not to have to reinstall OS completely especially as I have a window 7 disc and took advantage of MS bombarding me with the free windows 10 upgrade.

Also I’m away from home at the moment and windows 7 disc is not at hand

iknowalittle

Feb 11, 2017
Ok guys walk me through this please!!!!!

My system is working fine with old HD

I have a new SSD

I have transferred data and OS from HD to new SSD

Do I remove the SSD and change AHCI and then redo the data change on the SSD

Ps nice link btw………I think that may be my last resort though ;)

iknowalittle

Feb 11, 2017
Ahh you beat me to it Burpo :)

All sorted guys thanks for all your help…..my mistake my poor auls eyes read bededit and not bcdedit

Not as fast as I hoped but m/b only supports sata 2 and not 3…

But great workaround…cheers;)

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
If you ever decide to reinstall Windows, you can download the Microsoft Media Creation Tool and make a bootable USB drive to install W10 from - it'll automatically download a (fully legal) Windows ISO for you. Just google it. You might have to jot down your windows key beforehand, though.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
If you did the free upgrade, you don't need to put in a key if you reinstall windows 10. As long as it is the right version, it will automatically activate with the digital entitlement.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
If you did the free upgrade, you don't need to put in a key if you reinstall windows 10. As long as it is the right version, it will automatically activate with the digital entitlement.
Do you know how they validate this? Motherboard S/N or something?

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I love the w10 activation system as I never had to do anything when I clean install it except let it reach the internet to reactivate itself. If you haven't upgraded from 7+ to 10 yet it will still let you use your key or if you want to upgrade in place you can use the technology assist site to start the process which is way easier than trying to use the media creation tool unless you're already familiar with how it works.

Reactions: iknowalittle