New speaker reccomendation? 2.1

TimidOCer

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2000
Well its my fault but I broke my trusty oldAltec Lancing ACS340 's and I need new speakers. Now these speakers actually kicked a lot of ass, sound much better than most 2.1 systems Ive heard.

Im looking for reccomendations under 50 bucks for a 2.1 system that will sound good.

Thanks!

TimidOCer

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2000
Hey those look really nice and free shipping is great! Thanks!

Any other opinions if these are my best choices? Ive been out of the loop for a while :)

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Well, depends on your needs. The Z-2300 are just louder Z-3s... if you really aren't looking for that much punch and that "THX" certification, the Z-3 will suit you fine, and you got $20 in your pocket. If you're one who likes to turn up the volume... go with the Z-2300, it's not that big of a difference in price.

Norm

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
THX certification is almost meaningless. Some high end companies pay for the name essentially.

Consider this:

PC/Multimedia:
-Logitech is the only multimedia company that consistently gets THX certifications. Yet they are in a lower price bracket than Klipsch and Cambridge Soundworks/Creative, and their satellites are one 3" driver deals, versus 3 and 3.5" midranges, bigger cabinets, internal crossovers and 1" tweeters, and cleaner subwoofers than it's competitors. The only other non-Logitech product that's THX certified in the last five years was the Klipsch Promedia 2.1. If THX is the pinnacle of speaker recognition, why do only the low- and -middle end speakers get THX tests?

-Creative owns majority holding of THX stock now and even so don't bother to certify their own speakers due to the cost of the "tests" which could easily be (freely, ableit the cost of sending a pair of speakers) done by online reviewers who could rave about it and more people would read it.

Home Theater
-THX certification is mostly given to high-sensitivity (aka-LOUD) speakers in home theater bundles such as Klipsch's expensive "Ultra" home theater bundles. Those are not accurate, neutral, natural speakers with good dispersion; instead they lose that for dynamics and linearity at volume. See a trend here? Maybe THX isn't the height of audio recognition.

-Electronics: The THX test for electronics is a joke. Many high end ($1000-$3000) DVD players have THX logos attached and yet they fail basic chroma (red color saturation) tests to $200 Panasonic and Oppo DVD players. Talk about paying for the emperor's clothes!

Edit: In fact, since DVD shoppers have become so smart, Denon and Pioneer (with their Elite brand) have entirely dropped out of the THX price bracket for single-disc DVD players, and are now providing "competitive" prices in the $300-700 territory with comparable internals to the Pannys and Oppos (with better build quality and a nice face plate of course).

You can't fool people forever and THX's use in the industry has waned the point where it's only effect is in the PC/multimedia sector with young kids gaping about "THX! OMG!". (albeit your parents were like this in the 80s and 90s about THX in HT, so you can laugh at them when you are older too)

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Astrallite
What exactly are you trying say?

He means you don't know what your talking about, even though you sound as if you do. :laugh:

Check out the ProMedia 2.1 review here at Anandtech.

Quote:
The certification is an effort to bring some standard quality requirements to multimedia audio environment, building on the influence that such standards have had in theatres. Though there is a marketing factor involved in utilizing the THX certification, there is testing and standards in place to back it up. More can be learned from the THX website, www.thx.com.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Patrick Wolf
Originally posted by: Astrallite
What exactly are you trying say?

He means you don't know what your talking about, even though you sound as if you do. :laugh:

Check out the ProMedia 2.1 review here at Anandtech.

Quote:
The certification is an effort to bring some standard quality requirements to multimedia audio environment, building on the influence that such standards have had in theatres. Though there is a marketing factor involved in utilizing the THX certification, there is testing and standards in place to back it up. More can be learned from the THX website, www.thx.com.

And how is this mutually exclusive to what I've said?

If I don't know what I'm talking about, you've certainly said nothing to make a counter point.