New set of Leaked Beta ATi Catalyst drivers released

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
nice! :)

also, Omega and Plutonium have made their own set based on these drivers... get here!

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
just for a side note, these dont work very well in everquest. i have an 8500 128mb and at the opening few screens the text is all messed up....but in game it works fine

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
What's the benefit of the Omega/Plutonium drivers?

Perhaps no benefit, perhaps the best drivers for a particular setup, perhaps degraded performance. He mixes parts of various drivers sets, creates install routines and includes utilities/tweaks. He used to "optimize" 3DFX driver sets and created quite a following, and continues to work his magic with other video drivers including ATI's. Myself, I've found the ATI drivers to work best for me, others swear by his tweaks. Pretty cool stuff for guy that IIRC gets no compensation other than personal satisfaction, and a pat on the back from the community IMHO:)

HGC

Dec 22, 1999
How do you guys install new drivers? Delete old ones, use Windows generic VGA driver, reboot and install? Do you have to delete registry stuff? I had a nightmare experience changing from Matrox to ATI, had to reformat and start from scratch, so I am a bit nervous about upgrading to Catalyst. Thanks.

ZimZum

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: HGC
How do you guys install new drivers? Delete old ones, use Windows generic VGA driver, reboot and install? Do you have to delete registry stuff? I had a nightmare experience changing from Matrox to ATI, had to reformat and start from scratch, so I am a bit nervous about upgrading to Catalyst. Thanks.

Youve got the steps right. Uninstall, reboot, install new drivers, reboot. You dont Have to delete old registry entries (Rage3d recomends you do but most dont) but I usually do. Its easier with a registry tool such as regcleaner. Changing cards such as you did can be a hassle but merely upgrading drivers is usually a fairly painless afair.

dunkster

Golden Member
Nov 13, 1999
Here's what I did when I replaced older ATI 8500 drivers with Catalyst drivers (98SE):

Add/Remove left an ATI folder, several files in C:\Windows and C:\Windows\System, and 4 registry entries.

Searched for all ATI folders and files with search string ata*.* and deleted them.

Used RegEdit to remove 4 ATI registry entries.

Installed the Catalyst driver for 98SE. No problems.

Hope this helps!