New Scion xB and xD - photos from Autoweek

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=160586

Cue the "ugliest vehicles on the road comments" now, as usual :p

" The Japanese bB, a.k.a. the Scion xB, put Scion on the map in the United States in 2003. However, its eensy size and eensier engine were definitely better suited to Toyota?s home market than ours, even though its bargain-basement price brought new meaning to the term ?econobox?. And given that the Stateside success of the Scion brand is primarily attributable to the funky, highly customizable xB, Toyota saw to it that the first complete, ground-up redo of the bB/xB has us in mind, and thus bestowed it with newfound size and, more importantly, much more power.

Most striking about the new design are the thick C- and D-pillars and fender flares, both of which contribute to a much more muscular, substantial appearance. The tailgate actually has some roundness to it (!), whereas the previous model was as flat as Kansas on all sides. Also noteworthy is the front end, which features HID headlamps, air intakes on the outer corners of the bumpers (though we question their functionality) and?what?s this??another take on Audi?s single-frame grille! Clearly, no car is safe from this trend.

More significant, however, is xB?s all-new compact-car platform, which represents a move away from the xD?the replacement for the previous xB?s platformmate, the xA?which has transitioned to the Yaris? subcompact architecture. As such, the all-new xB offers more space inside for guitars, amps, and retro-punk hairdos. Gone are the moronic center-mounted gauges, replaced by a more stylish, more conventional dashboard arrangement.

The news gets even better under the hood, where a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine (shared with the tC) making 158 horsepower and 162 pound-feet of torque replaces the wimpy 103-hp 1.5-liter four-pot of xB version 1.0. Five-speed manual or four-speed automatic transmissions deliver the newfound power to the front wheels, the latter with steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters.

Like the xD, the xB will feature standard stability control and six standard air bags, as well as a 160-watt stereo with iPod connectivity, of course. 16-inch steel wheels with lovely plastic wheel covers are standard, though we expect that few of them will remain on xBs for long, given how many accessory wheels are available through Scion and the aftermarket. Scion?s line of accessories is expected to grow even longer now that the xB and xD have become more distinct, and thus will appeal to an even wider array of unique individuals for whom stock won?t do."

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Ummm....they just made it more curvey....otherwise it looks like the same ugly design....

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Pale Rider
Yup. Still ugly.

A good bargain though!

I wish they got rid of the middle console as well as the ugly design....but, you're right, it's cheap. Oh well, atleast we have the tC.

Minjin

Platinum Member
Jan 18, 2003
Looks like they put the wax models in the oven for a bit, then said "Ok pull em out, that looks about right for our next face lift."

SuperNaruto

Aug 24, 2006
the xB looks like the honda now... i'm assuming that little red one is xD ?

its not that bad.. just a car...

Jan 31, 2002
Cliffs: "Toyota grunts, strains, drinks massive quantities of prune juice, and drops another hideous turd in the vehicular bowl."

- M4H

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
LOL! I swear, those cars look *exactly* like a xB cornered and raped either an xA or a tC, and 9 months later....

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
wow the new xB is hideous... they killed that retro boxy look it had. It looks like someone took a plastic xB model and put it in 400 degree oven.

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000
Wow, Toyota really needs to fire there current badge of designers.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
I feel like if I had a tommy gun and a pinstripe suit I'd drive a black one of those around :D

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Center gauges FTMFL. When will carmakers learn? The dash looks completely disconnected, nothing seems to align with anything else. Looks like stuff was randomly placed.
Also, if xB price is over 16K, I don't see a reason to get one over the Mazda3 hatch.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
Originally posted by: slikmunks
Originally posted by: NFS4
I don't care what anyone says, the xB and xD with the slight body kit and rims are HOT (top two cars):

http://www.thecarlounge.net/gallery/albums//Marques/Scion/2008/xB/002.jpg

More pics:

http://www.thecarlounge.net/gallery/gal...de=album&album=/Marques/Scion/2008/xB#

you're alone on that one, bud.

Looks like a Japanese version of a Chevy HHR.

And isn't the HHR just a chevy version of the PT Cruiser? :D

lobbyone

Golden Member
Sep 4, 2003
It does look better when applied with aftermarket wheels and a bodykit. Maybe young people dig those new curves?