New Russian Jetliner Disappears On Promo Flight

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
SAR crews have found the crash site, see photo below. It looks like the aircraft hit a very steep face of a mountain, virtually disintegrating on impact. If they were flying in clouds and the terrain avoidance systems did not warn them, perhaps they never knew what was going to happen. Or they gained visual of the mountain side a split second or two before they hit. Pure conjecture, still way too early to know anything for sure.

576654272.jpg

Wow, they had no chance.

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I don't think commercial aircraft have terrain avoidance gear in them. They are just supposed to stay out of areas where that stuff is needed.

Jimbo

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
I don't think commercial aircraft have terrain avoidance gear in them. They are just supposed to stay out of areas where that stuff is needed.

Over 95% of commercial aircraft have Terrain Awareness and Warning systems in them. An aircraft of this type and size would have undoubtedly had TAWs.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010

The type of aircraft that crashed has a Thales TCAS in it, see post #14. Note that terrain avoidance systems are not the same as systems for nap of the earth flying that are in some military aircraft.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I am guessing the pilots were showing off. Sukhoi test pilots used to flying fighter jets in air shows. Russians love to show foreingers "how its done." I am guessing they planned the demonstration of the jets maneuverability in mountain terrain ahead of time and didn't alter when faced with increment weather conditions in unfamiliar terrain. They reportedly asked to descend from 10000 to 6000 feet, which is crazy in mountain terrain like that in low visibility. I am pretty sure its pilot error and overconfidence.

Last edited:

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
I am guessing the pilots were showing off. Sukhoi test pilots used to flying fighter jets in air shows. Russians love to show foreingers "how its done." I am guessing they planned the demonstration of the jets maneuverability in mountain terrain ahead of time and didn't alter when faced with increment weather conditions in unfamiliar terrain. They reportedly asked to descend from 10000 to 6000 feet, which is crazy in mountain terrain like that in low visibility. I am pretty sure its pilot error and overconfidence.

Uh yeah.... thanks for that expert opinion. You'll forgive us if we wait for the official report to jump to any sort of conclusion, right?

What a sad situation. Words don't do it justice.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Uh yeah.... thanks for that expert opinion. You'll forgive us if we wait for the official report to jump to any sort of conclusion, right?

What a sad situation. Words don't do it justice.

There wasn't any reason to request to descend to volcano, aside from doing a flyby to impress the passengers. This was a demonstration flight, there is some theater involved.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Wreckage found. It doesn't look like there were any survivors. :(

The wreckage of a demonstration airplane for a Russian-made passenger jet that vanished on Wednesday during a 50-minute flight over Indonesia was found on Thursday on the side of a mountain volcano shrouded in mist.

[...]

There were no signs of survivors among the 50 people, including crew members, journalists and airline representatives, aboard the plane, the Sukhoi Superjet 100, a spokesman for Indonesia’s Search and Rescue National Agency told The Associated Press.

[...]

The Superjet took off from Halim Perdanakusuma Airport in the Indonesian capital Jakarta on Wednesday afternoon for its second demonstration flight of the day. It disappeared from radar screens and lost contact with ground controllers about 20 minutes later after requesting permission to descend to 6,000 feet from 10,000 feet over the mountainous terrain of West Java.

It was not clear why the Russian pilot and co-pilot asked to descend or if they got the go-ahead. Communication between the pilots and air traffic control are being reviewed, The A.P. reported, but the tapes will not be made public immediately.

A resident near Mount Salak, named Juanda, said he heard the sound of a rumbling engine on Wednesday and saw a plane that seemed to veering to one side. “Salak Mountain was not visible because a lot of dark fog,” he told local media.

The mountain frequently experiences bad weather and heavy fog.

This prevented search parties from locating the plane on Wednesday. When the weather cleared on Thursday, search helicopters spotted the wreckage on the side of a cliff about 5,000 feet up Mount Salak, Maj. Ali Umri Lubis of the Indonesian Air Force told MetroTV.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
SAR crews have found the crash site, see photo below. It looks like the aircraft hit a very steep face of a mountain, virtually disintegrating on impact. If they were flying in clouds and the terrain avoidance systems did not warn them, perhaps they never knew what was going to happen. Or they gained visual of the mountain side a split second or two before they hit. Pure conjecture, still way too early to know anything for sure.

576654272.jpg
Dang, SOOO close to clearing that bluff and 50 people died! So sad.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Looks like finding the Black (acutally orange) box is going to require some people with techincal climbing skills.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
On an aviation website they are talking about this photo, taken shortly before the fatal flight departed. It apparently shows the terrain avoidance system to be turned off. I am curious if it is normal to switch the terrain avoidance system on and off between flights, or is it normal to leave it on all the time?

Also, the impact apparently caused an avalanche of dirt and vegetation, burying much of the debris at the bottom of that steep mountain face pictured above. The few bodies found so far have been "fragments" due to the speed of the impact in the words of the SAR crews.

FaultOff-Indicator-Update.png

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
On an aviation website they are talking about this photo, taken shortly before the fatal flight departed. It apparently shows the terrain avoidance system to be turned off. I am curious if it is normal to switch the terrain avoidance system on and off between flights, or is it normal to leave it on all the time?

Also, the impact apparently caused an avalanche of dirt and vegetation, burying much of the debris at the bottom of that steep mountain face pictured above. The few bodies found so far have been "fragments" due to the speed of the impact in the words of the SAR crews.

FaultOff-Indicator-Update.png

I'm a bit surprised the Russian airliner's dash is in English?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
The pilot requested to descend to 6000 feet and crashed into a volcano at 6200 feet. Seems like pilot and/or ground control error to me.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
As per Indonesian TV (tweet by Sergey Dolya), that mountain where the Superjet crashed is called "airplane graveyard" by locals since in the past 10 years there were 7 aircraft incidents/crashes there.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
As per Indonesian TV (tweet by Sergey Dolya), that mountain where the Superjet crashed is called "airplane graveyard" by locals since in the past 10 years there were 7 aircraft incidents/crashes there.
Wow! You'd think pilots would be hyper-aware of it.