New Roku 3 is damn good...

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
Got the new Roku 3, installed Plex and it's so good. The new one can play MKV's natively flawlessly, but the real beauty is that it can play subbed anime MKV no matter if it's 10bit or 8bit or 1080p. It also supports SuperHD on Netflix as well. All in all I have no need for a dedicated HTPC now with this tiny box.

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
Congrats!! So the older Roku 2 XS doesn't support SuperHD from Netflix? Does Plex not transcode as much with the Roku 3?

EDIT: Looks like it may?

https://support.netflix.com/en/node/8731

I have a friend with a the Roku 2XS and it didn't display SuperHD on the screen like the Roku 3 does so not sure.

As far as transcoding, Plex has yet to do it on all the video files I have. I have tried the following:

10/8bit high bitrate MKV with subtitles and 5.1
up to 1080p MP4 w/ 5.1
DIVX (including multiple language/sub-titled ones)

I have not tried other formats but those are the most popular ones nowadays. On my wireless network (wired Ubiquiti Unifi APs around the house), when you hit play on let's say a 1080p MKV, there will be a 3 sec buffer wait and then play with no hiccups.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I have a friend with a the Roku 2XS and it didn't display SuperHD on the screen like the Roku 3 does so not sure.

As far as transcoding, Plex has yet to do it on all the video files I have. I have tried the following:

10/8bit high bitrate MKV with subtitles and 5.1
up to 1080p MP4 w/ 5.1
DIVX (including multiple language/sub-titled ones)

I have not tried other formats but those are the most popular ones nowadays. On my wireless network (wired Ubiquiti Unifi APs around the house), when you hit play on let's say a 1080p MKV, there will be a 3 sec buffer wait and then play with no hiccups.

Wow! Sounds like this may be a nice little present for myself :D

On another note, they recently removed videobuzz from Roku. If you are interested in getting Youtube on your Roku use Twonky Beam in the App/Play Store. You can also " Airplay" video from your phone to the Roku - Very nice!

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
just got one of these for my Dad, way down here in NZ for his Samsung TV which doesnt have network adapters...Real quick to setup and works flawlessly with Plex Media Server!...

gus6464

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2005
Can it output both Dolby Digital HD as well as DTS HD MA?

It will do DD+ but not TrueHD or DTS HD MA. All I have been using mine for so far has been Plex, VUDU, and Netflix. I am amazed how flawless Plex is on this thing though.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
It will do DD+ but not TrueHD or DTS HD MA. All I have been using mine for so far has been Plex, VUDU, and Netflix. I am amazed how flawless Plex is on this thing though.

So is the Plex experience that much better with the Roku 3 vs. the Roku 2 XS ? I have a Roku HD and a Roku 2 XS and have no issues with Plex thus far.

I will ask you for refund, if I do not like it.

:D

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I had a Roku 2 XS. I like it for the most part. Plex is a little buggy sometimes, but that's to be expected with free software. It works...for the most part.

The will say, for $100, you really can't beat this little Roku device. The 3 looks to be just as good, and with dual band support.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Does it use IR for the remote? If I can't control it with my Harmony it'll be much more of a PITA.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
The remote uses Wifi.

The Roku 3 is one of the best devices ever. I've been using a Roku HD for years, and I'm extremely happy I upgraded. It's a great freakin device.

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Dangit, when are these things coming to Canada?!
I want to supplement my WDTV SMP with one of these, when I tried the Roku 2 a month ago I was super impressed with the streaming capabilities and channels like USTVNow. Plus the Roku's Netflix interface is way better.

Actually, if it plays MKV and MP4s natively(is that what you're saying? without the need for a Plex server running on my laptop?), my poor beloved WD is getting sold.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Dangit, when are these things coming to Canada?!
I want to supplement my WDTV SMP with one of these, when I tried the Roku 2 a month ago I was super impressed with the streaming capabilities and channels like USTVNow. Plus the Roku's Netflix interface is way better.

Actually, if it plays MKV and MP4s natively(is that what you're saying? without the need for a Plex server running on my laptop?), my poor beloved WD is getting sold.

It will play MKV's and MP4's but they need to be H.264 encoded with the audio in AC3. Not sure if AAC is supported?
Have any friends in the states that could ship you one?

RedRooster

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
It will play MKV's and MP4's but they need to be H.264 encoded with the audio in AC3. Not sure if AAC is supported?
Have any friends in the states that could ship you one?

Not really, I'm tempted just to buy one off eBay. Although I'm sure sooner than later it'll start showing up in Walmarts up here.

ND40oz

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2004
The remote uses Wifi.

The Roku 3 is one of the best devices ever. I've been using a Roku HD for years, and I'm extremely happy I upgraded. It's a great freakin device.

The included remote uses wifi, but the device still supports IR, no issues with my 880 and browsing through the Plex, Netflix or Amazon channels. Wish they'd update they plex channel though to something remotely similar to the current windows app though.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
You won't regret it. IMO it's the best streamer out there bar none that easily rivals a dedicated HTPC with Plex.

This really confuses me, and by extension all of the other recommendations of this and Plex in this thread. How can this rival an HTPC when I still need another friggin computer running to use Plex and stream stuff? I want to make this clear in case anybody else feels misled here:

You still need a separate PC running a Plex server to stream movies to the Roku box. The Roku box in no way can play movies from a network drive on its own.

I have a dedicated NAS that I rip all of my movies to. From what I can tell there is ZERO WAY to play those movies without having another computer running at the same time. Apparently you can stick a USB drive into the box and possibly go from there, but that's not what I wanted. This is a huge and glaring limitation (for 3 versions in a row now) that makes this thing worthless compared to any HTPC. Considering you can get a windows based all-in-one SFF PC for a little over $300, this box has no business in a home that already has a device to stream Netflix (as that's all it can do for me now).

Unless I'm missing something big here that somebody can help me out with, this thing is going back tomorrow.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
gorcorps: I agree, the Roku is not for everyone. It works well for what I need it for, keep my kids media stored and shared in a remote location while giving them access via the Roku + Plex. My sons would wreck a HTPC because that's the nature of boys...can't keep their hands of stuff, want to take everything apart to see how it works, etc..

The Roku has a small footprint physically and electrically, has an easy to use interface, and I can limit what my kids can access for the most part. Netflix takes some monitoring, but I'm monitoring it either way sine my kids are still young

It lacks support for DLNA, which is a huge negative. Plex can be a PITB sometimes, but works for the most part.

I guess my point is, if it's not what you want then don't keep it.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I agree that people have different needs, but I'm just trying to make people aware that some of the opinions here seem to be a little sensationalized which leads to people like me thinking it could do things it can't.

The statement made earlier that it can replace a dedicated HTPC is simply wrong. The reasons why one would need a full blown HTPC are simply not existent in the Roku, and people need to quit misleading others by saying otherwise. It's a fine device if you have nothing else to stream Netflix through, but it's limited in its ability to play your own personal files.