New regulations on ivory sale has some worried

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Unless..... the punishment becomes too great. If there was a death penalty in China for the mere possession of ivory, this problem would go away. Who would risk death for a stupid ivory trinket? Target the consumers....

Good point. As we all know, the death penalty has eliminated murder.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
This is currently what is happening to elephants in Africa to fuel China's apetite:

Graphic image http://i.imgur.com/9z1jVa5.jpg

A very similar thing is happening to sharks to feed their appetite for shark fin soup....which doesn't taste amazing at all. The fin has absolutely no flavor. Sharks are being hunted and are being thrown back into the water sometimes after their fins have been removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
That is horrible, disgusting that people would do such a thing.

China should ban ivory, that would put an end to this, just like banning drugs has put an end to drug use and the drug trade.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
This is currently what is happening to elephants in Africa to fuel China's apetite:

A very similar thing is happening to sharks to feed their appetite for shark fin soup....which doesn't taste amazing at all. The fin has absolutely no flavor. Sharks are being hunted and are being thrown back into the water sometimes after their fins have been removed.

and that has what to do with this law?

Last edited by a moderator:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
and that has what to do with this law?

You can't be that dense. First off these are regulations implementing a law not new laws. Second the intent is to kill demand for ivory products which is driving poaching and leading to the graphic example posted above.

I don't agree with the regulations, but don't pretend you don't understand how demand for ivory products drives continued poaching.

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
I guess that means there's going to be a vibrant underground trade in antiques containing ivory in the US, tax free! The Feds haven't at all figured how this shit works, have they? Oh well, off to go find some great deals now, maybe even that `34 Gibson Jumbo I've been checking out at a local shop.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
This isn't limited to ivory. Once valuable whale tusk and teeth from before the MMPA are now worthless.

Last edited:

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
That is horrible, disgusting that people would do such a thing.

China should ban ivory, that would put an end to this, just like banning drugs has put an end to drug use and the drug trade.

If China banned Ivory and Shark Fin soup, you would not see mass culling of Elephants and Sharks to keep up with China's appetite. Its a no brainer. There are tons of documentaries about this.

These poachers are killing these animals because there is a huge market for it in China and they can make a ton of money.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004

[IMGnoimage]http://i.imgur.com/9z1jVa5.jpg[/IMG]

Jesus fucking christ, I do not want to open a thread to see an elephant minus it's face, link to that for crying out loud.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
If China banned Ivory and Shark Fin soup, you would not see mass culling of Elephants and Sharks to keep up with China's appetite. Its a no brainer. There are tons of documentaries about this.

These poachers are killing these animals because there is a huge market for it in China and they can make a ton of money.

Sure, and get japan to stop whaling and killing dolphins. (not being sarcastic, seriously, they should stop.)

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Sure, and get japan to stop whaling and killing dolphins. (not being sarcastic, seriously, they should stop.)

Japan is going out on its own and killing whales and dolphins. We cant stop Japan from doing this until they decide that its stupid.

On the other hand, people in other countries are going out and hunting sharks and killing elephants to ship to China. Many of these poachers are poor and are doing it for the money. If China banned Shark Fin soup..the value of the trade of shark fins would go down and we would see a lot less poaching.

Some of the species of sharks that have been poached don't reproduce much and their pups are being killing for their fins. This trade is literally endangering certain species of shark. Also, the poachers are only in it for the fins and they are wasting the shark meat by throwing it back. Its a barbaric practice for some bullshit Chinese belief that eating rare foods make you special

Jesus fucking christ, I do not want to open a thread to see an elephant minus it's face, link to that for crying out loud.

This is what the Ivory trade looks like. This is what we are talking about in this thread. This is what happens to animals to fuel things like the Ivory trade. Some of these elephants aren't immediately dead after this practice either.

Last edited:

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Look at this mans collection of whales teeth and tusk, a collection that was no doubt worth over 100,000. Has now been made worthless. The reality he has nothing to do with illegal trade.

tour2.jpg

tour1.jpg

I can understand elephant ivory, but why include other products. That have nothing to do with the elephant killings

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Animals have been poached for their tusks as well. I have no doubt that Whale teeth were acquired by the same methods.

RampantAndroid

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2004
This is what the Ivory trade looks like. This is what we are talking about in this thread. This is what happens to animals to fuel things like the Ivory trade. Some of these elephants aren't immediately dead after this practice either.

That's great. I don't want to open a thread to see an elephant minus its face. Please, don't post stuff like that in an img tag.

Also, how does the banning of items from LONG DEAD animals stop new ones from being killed?

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009

Except you don't have to kill the animal to harvest the tusk (or horns in the case of rhinos) unlike sharks and their fins. That picture just shows the result of what happens when you ban the legal and no-kill harvesting of horns and tusks of these animals, i.e. the criminal element takes over the marketplace and imposes their own methods to attaining this product that is in demand in Asia.

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
You can't be that dense. First off these are regulations implementing a law not new laws. Second the intent is to kill demand for ivory products which is driving poaching and leading to the graphic example posted above.

I don't agree with the regulations, but don't pretend you don't understand how demand for ivory products drives continued poaching.

how does banning the sale of things already made lesson demand?

how stupid is a law that treats someone owning past ivory as guilty unless they can prove they are innocent? Isn't that inherently un-American?

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

You don't understand how the world works, do you?

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Morons over seas eating ivory dust to get a hard on is what the problem is, not antiques.