New quiet system for occasional gaming (1100-1200 USD)

o-seven

Apr 14, 2010
Hey all – I’m looking for input for what kind of system I need and would really appreciate any thoughts. I’ve read the notice here on the forums and very much hope the following makes sense:

1. I will use the system for occasional gaming besides some light word processing, saving family photos and such.

Games like The Warhammer Total War games, GTA V, Far Cry 4 and 5, Call of Duty WWII, Battlefield 1, Mass Effect Andromeda, Dragon Age Inquisition, Civilization 6, Pillars of Eternity 2, X Com 2.

I don’t know where to put this, but it is a priority for me, that the system is quiet – so I would also prioritize, e.g, quiet cabinet, quiet 3rd party coolers and such.

2. My budget is about 1100-1200 USD / 825-900 GBP / 7.000-8.000 DKK

3. I’ll be buying in Denmark. I plan on buying from the following website and also ask them to assemble it for me: https://www.compumail.dk/en/home (via their “pc configurator”). While I could probably find some parts cheaper elsewhere, I've found them to be reasonably priced and reliable - and it is a priority for me to have them assemble it.

4. I don’t really have any brand preferences (in the past I’ve mostly ended up using AMD, but not by any masterplan).

5. I don’t have any existing parts for the PC itself (I’m replacing a 12 year old system). Peripherals I do have, however, that is monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse and such).

6. I do not mess with overclocking and such.

7. Monitor resolution is 1920*1080.

8. I expect to be buying at the end of March / start of April.

9. I need a copy of windows 10 to go with the PC, but not any other software.
Let me know if some of the info is unclear…

Thank you so much in advance for any thoughts!

Regards, Stefan

o-seven

Apr 14, 2010
Hey again – I probably wasn’t specific enough, that’s fair :)

Here’s what I’m thinking so far on the first parts:

Case: NZXT H500 (ca. 90 USD) – when I’m going for a quiet design, I can’t figure out, if I should go for the Fractal Design Define C (ca. 100 USD) or Fractal Design Define Series R6 (ca. 125 USD)?

Motherboard: Motherboards are so hard to research for a non-expert, argh. But maybe the ASUS TUF H370-Pro Gaming Wi-Fi (ca. 165 USD). Is that too much to spend on a motherboard? I don’t wanna overspend on a motherboard, but would appreciate a motherboard with built in wi-fi (if I'm not overpaying for it).

CPU: Intel CPU Core I3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core (ca. 150 USD).

CPU Cooler: ?

GPU: Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 (ca. 260 USD) – I can’t quite find noise tests on different brand RX 580’s, but is it true, that the Sapphire Pulse is somewhat quiet?

Memory: ?

Storage: ?

Power Supply: ?

Any thoughts and suggestions and hints would be oh so welcome!

Thanks again in advance!

Regards, Stefan

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Are computer prices much higher in Denmark then they are in the USA? For $1100-$1200 USD you should be able to fit in a six core CPU in that Rig along with 16GB of memory and a sizable SSD. At least that is true here in the US.

Depending on pricing, the Geforce 1160 sounds like a good card for you, on maybe even AMD's Rx580 w/8GB of VRAM.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
For $1100-$1200 USD you should be able to fit in a six core CPU

Agreed. You really shouldn't build a quad core PC in 2019 that you want to last / use for many years. Sure it will be fine for the short term, and you save a few bucks now, it will likely something you regret later on. Take a look at the Ryzen 2600(x) CPUs as they offer tremendous $/performance, and depending on pricing in your country, should save you some $$$.

Six core+ and a SSD for at least your OS.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Agreed. You really shouldn't build a quad core PC in 2019 that you want to last / use for many years. Sure it will be fine for the short term, and you save a few bucks now, it will likely something you regret later on. Take a look at the Ryzen 2600(x) CPUs as they offer tremendous $/performance, and depending on pricing in your country, should save you some $$$.

Six core+ and a SSD for at least your OS.
How is this?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qKGjV6

o-seven

Apr 14, 2010
Thank you so much for input!

With regards to prices - yes, I suspect prices are a little higher in Denmark. And I also realize that getting all parts from one particular shop isn't cost-friendly, but I need a shop to build the system for me - and I find their stock and prices to be reasonable (https://www.compumail.dk/en/home). (but if there are tips on other Danish sites, I'm listening :)

All right, so:

1) CPU - I can then upgrade to the AMD CPU Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz (ca. 195 USD) (vs. Intel CPU Core I3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core (ca. 150 USD). Next step would be AMD CPU Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz (ca. 240 USD).

2) GPU: I'm thinking Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 (ca. 260 USD) – these cards are actually priced at somewhat same level as geforce 1160 6 GB.

I can’t quite find noise tests on different brand RX 580’s, but is it true, that the Sapphire Pulse is somewhat quiet?

3) Case: As mentioned, I'm prioritizing a quiet design, so I was thinking maybe NZXT H500 (ca. 90 USD). When I’m going for a quiet design, I can’t figure out, if I should go for the, e.g., Fractal Design Define C (ca. 100 USD) or Fractal Design Define Series R6 (ca. 125 USD)?

Whm, you mention Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case - is that a good, quiet case? Can't spot tests of its noise dampening ability...

4) Motherboard: Whm, you mention ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard. Does that have onboard wifi? Or am I better off going for separate wireless adapter?

Also I notice the board is micro ATX - I thought I should be going for regular ATX (?).

I haven't overlooked the suggestions for other parts - I'm trying to grasp this one step at a time :)

Thank you so much again!

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
@o-seven The list I posted was from an earlier list that I updated. There is a silent version of the Corsair 100R, which would be on the list but I forgot to update the part.

o-seven

Apr 14, 2010
Hey all - thanks again!

GPU: Usandthem - in Denmark, I'm seeing the RTX 1660ti going for about 100 USD more than the RX 580, so I suspect it wouldn't be worth it... (USD 260 vs USD 350)

Flayed - wow, good find with Sapphire Pulse RX 580 test. Do you mean that the card doesn't look quiet compared to other cards in general - or other brand RX 580's? I'm sorry, I really don't mean to be obtuse or anything, but doesn't the review point out that the Sapphire Pulse RX 580 is on the quiet side? Apologies if I misunderstand.

Case: Whm, I'm seeing the Corsair R100 Silent Edition for ca. 70 USD - then I think that just made the list, thank you ;-)

Motherboard: Am I looking for a regular ATX board, or did I misunderstand?

Also, would I overpay for onboard wi-fi, do you think? Or am I better off going for a separate wireless adapter?

Thank you so much again for any input!

Cheers, Stefan

Flayed

Nov 30, 2016
Hey all - thanks again!
Flayed - wow, good find with Sapphire Pulse RX 580 test. Do you mean that the card doesn't look quiet compared to other cards in general - or other brand RX 580's? I'm sorry, I really don't mean to be obtuse or anything, but doesn't the review point out that the Sapphire Pulse RX 580 is on the quiet side? Apologies if I misunderstand.
Cheers, Stefan
I just meant that I don't consider 38db at idle quiet. However I'm not sure how good the testing is they do at that site. Guru3d do good testing for noise. Have a look at this:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_rx_570_and_580_mech_2_8g_oc_review,9.html

It does say it has a zero rpm mode at idle so it must be noise from the rest of the system.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/powercolor_radeon_rx_580_red_devil_review,8.html
seems its quieter than the red devil card.

Also, I think buying a separate wireless card can cost more than getting it with the motherboard. The one I bought was expensive anyway and I don't even use it anymore as I switched to wired.

Last edited:

o-seven

Apr 14, 2010
Thank you again for input!

Hmm, interesting tests, Flayed - as you indicate, not really that conclusive. At any case, I don't actually see the powercolor card for sale where I am, so maybe I'll stick with the Sapphire Pulse for now.

So I have so far:

1) Case: Corsair R100 Silent Edition (ca. 70 USD)

2) CPU: AMD CPU Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz (ca. 195 USD)

3) GPU: Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 (ca. 260 USD)

I think my next hurdle i motherboard, which is, argh, so hard to research for the uninitiated. From what I'm getting, trying to deciphre reviews and guides, you're kindda paying a lot for onboard wi-fi feature (??).

As far as non-wifi-cards, I'm seeing mention of cards like MSI X470 GAMING PLUS ATX (ca. 155 USD) or Gigabyte X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 (ca. 170 USD). Is that the kind of cards I should be looking at?

Then I would have to get a separate wifi adapter, e.g. the ASUS PCE-AC56 (ca. 55 USD).

Thank you so much again for any assistance - any pointers would be so welcome.

Thanks, Stefan

Flayed

Nov 30, 2016
The MSI B450 Tomahawk is a good choice for a mid range board. If you want wifi the B450 pro carbon AC isn't that much more (here at least). If you are looking for a board you can drop a Ryzen 3000 chip in when they launch you should look at the higher end boards I guess.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
The MSI B450 Tomahawk is a good choice for a mid range board. If you want wifi the B450 pro carbon AC isn't that much more (here at least). If you are looking for a board you can drop a Ryzen 3000 chip in when they launch you should look at the higher end boards I guess.
Speaking of the Ryzen 3000, will AMD also be releasing a new chipset tp go along with the APUs/CPUs?

o-seven

Apr 14, 2010
Thank you so much again!!

I checked out your tip, Flayed, for MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON - available here for about 170 USD, which seems pretty acceptable, considering it's including wi-fi. Thank you for tip!

In some tests, I'm seeing the Gigabyte Aorus B450 I Pro WiFi B450, Socket AM4, Mini-ITX (available here for about 140 USD) mentioned as a better alternative to the MSI b450.

But that makes me confused about ATX <=> mini-ITX. I thought I should be going for regular ATX - but not necessarily...?

So grateful for your responses - thank you again!

Stefan

o-seven

Apr 14, 2010
(forgot to write - in connection to your other tip, Flayed:

I'm seeing the non wifi MSI B450 Tomahawk for about 130 USD - coupled with e.g. the ASUS PCE-AC56 (ca. 55 USD), that would run me up to 185 USD. Can't quite figure out if that's worth it for wi-fi quality...)

Flayed

Nov 30, 2016
If you don't need to add any expansion cards the Gigabyte Aorus B450 I Pro WiFi B450 is very good value for money.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If you need AC wifi, the Gigabyte B450 AUROS PRO WIFI has it too, no need to resort to an ITX board just to get Wifi, if you prefer ATX.

Reactions: Flayed

AnnoyedGrunt

Jan 31, 2004
Mini-ITX is great if you don't need the expansion slots and want something slightly smaller. I did a 2700X build on the ASRock Fatality B450 ITX. It has been very nice. Some downsides of the ITX motherboard are fewer fan headers, fewer memory slots, and typically a less robust VRM solution (due mostly to less space available for components). For memory I am using 2X 8GB sticks for 16 GB total, which is plenty for what I do, so the setup is great for my use (mostly gaming, with some go-pro video editing and DVD transcoding at times).

I liked the ASrock ITX motherboard because it had intel WiFi and LAN, a higher end integrated sound chip, and was priced very nicely when I bought it. It has no problem with my 2700X.

The case I use is the Fractal Design Meshify C mini. It will fit a micro-ATX or mini-ITX motherboard, and is a slightly smaller package than the regular Mechify C (which is the open front version of the Define C). I believe the R6 is a larger case. I am very happy with the Meshify C mini.

The regular Meshify C will fit a standard ATX board if you want to go that route.

-AG