New Q6600 system being ordered...

street carp

Nov 1, 2007
Alright, after asking a few questions here, this is what I've settled on:

(EDIT: This is what I've ordered)

CPU: Q6600 $263.98 (ordered OEM from ClubIT)
MB: Abit IP35 Pro $164.99 AR (ordered)
GPU: MSI 8600GT $103.32 AR (ordered)
HD: Seagate 250GB SATA $69.99 (ordered)
Arctic Cooling 7 Freezer Pro $30.14 (ordered from Xoxide)
4x1GB Crucial Ballistix ddr2 800 $100 AR (ordered Buy.com/newegg)
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 $142 (bought months ago before price fell)
4 year old Antec Sonata case (reuse)
DVD-RW (reuse old IDEs for time being)

It's for a stock trading system mainly, some DVD/CD burning, casual gaming only. I know it's a little overkill for trading, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Thanks for all the advice given so far in other threads.

I'm probably going to just get it all from Newegg for the sake of simplicity. Plus, only a couple of things are just a little cheaper elsewhere. In addition one of their warehouses is nearby so orders are received quickly.

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
If you're going to ditch the stock HSF (and it looks like you are) I'd just get a G0 Q6600 from ClubIT for $263.98 shipped. How much are you saving on RAM by only buying an additional 2x512? I'd say just keep the 2GB you have and buy 2x1GB later when you go to a 64-bit OS.

street carp

Nov 1, 2007
Originally posted by: Relion
Stay with 2GB and go for a 8800 GT

I kind of don't want to go up that road. For me $150 is a lot for a video card when I've only really played Tiger Woods 2005 the past year.:eek:

street carp

Nov 1, 2007
Originally posted by: beatle
If you're going to ditch the stock HSF (and it looks like you are) I'd just get a G0 Q6600 from ClubIT for $263.98 shipped. How much are you saving on RAM by only buying an additional 2x512? I'd say just keep the 2GB you have and buy 2x1GB later when you go to a 64-bit OS.

It doesn't hurt to have 4GB on XP, right? Maybe I should just get the additional 2 GB now. Crucial lets you have 2 rebates on the same product. Compared to years ago memory is dirt cheap and I know that nothing lasts...

Good point on the OEM CPU. I never ordered from ClubIT before. Are these guys trustworthy/dependable? (esp when dealing with oem cpu's)

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
get 2 extra GB while the memory is still cheap, and DDR3 hasnt rolled out into full production.

At worst windows will only display 3gb, until you jump to XP 64 or vista. But its nice to know you have the room.

Id personally take this board over the ABIT.
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-P35DS3P

The P35-DS4 doesnt look that bad either. Its about 10 dollars more expensive

Higher End would be the premium
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16813131190

And if i had to chose a great board, i would look at the Gigabyte X38-DQ6 since they dont sell the P35-DQ6.
But thats running almost 300 dollars for the board alone.

Lastly YOU NEED TO SHOP COMPARE.

NEWEGG has a habit of raising prices according to HITS it takes on search/website.

Meaning, if by chance 100 people were to look up the same ram, the system automatically raises the price on the ram by 5-10 dollars. Im guessing its a percentage base.

So i really recomend you to look at ewiz.com and Mwave.com and shop compare.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
Ditch the Raptor and go for 750GB WD AAAKS for $165~. Same if not faster speed, and 5x the space.

kenrippy

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2002
another vote for 4gb of ram while it's so cheap. xp 32bit will see around 3.2gb on your setup. i only have a 128mb card so xp sees 3.37gb of system ram in mine.

also another vote for clubit for the q6600. be sure to get the G0 stepping one, they give you a choice, which is something they have over newegg these days.

the abit ip35 pro is a good solid choice.

why are you getting a gaming card if it's just a trading machine? just get a simple card if you don't need a 512mb card. something like this card

street carp

Nov 1, 2007
Originally posted by: kenrippy
another vote for 4gb of ram while it's so cheap. xp 32bit will see around 3.2gb on your setup. i only have a 128mb card so xp sees 3.37gb of system ram in mine.

also another vote for clubit for the q6600. be sure to get the G0 stepping one, they give you a choice, which is something they have over newegg these days.

why are you getting a gaming card if it's just a trading machine? just get a simple card if you don't need a 512mb card. something like this card

It's primarily a trading machine, but I will use it for games occasionally. I do need dual-DVI though. I've already bought 2 more GB of RAM from Buy.com with google checkout for $49.95 shipped.

I'm considering ClubIT for the CPU, but don't know much about them.

kenrippy

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2002
Originally posted by: street carp

It's primarily a trading machine, but I will use it for games occasionally. I do need dual-DVI though. I've already bought 2 more GB of RAM from Buy.com with google checkout for $49.95 shipped.

I'm considering ClubIT for the CPU, but don't know much about them.
clubit is about as good as newegg as far as customer service etc. check em out on resellerratings.com. plus, if you're in so. cal like me, they're located in city of industry so you get stuff FAST :D

street carp

Nov 1, 2007
clubit is about as good as newegg as far as customer service etc. check em out on resellerratings.com. plus, if you're in so. cal like me, they're located in city of industry so you get stuff FAST :D

Wish I was still in socal, but I'm close to the newegg TN warehouse. I'll give ClubIT a shot.

street carp

Nov 1, 2007
I ended up going with a less expensive 256mb 8600GT by MSI saving $40.

Everything's ordered except the HD and cpu cooler. Newegg dropped the discount on the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 so I'll look for something else.

I'm debating whether to go with the $95 36GB raptor for XP and programs, buying a separate drive for storage. Even with 150GB I'll eventually want more room anyway. The price per GB sucks on the smaller raptors, though.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Wow, NewEgg sure raised the price on the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. In that case, I suggest buying a CoolerMaster Hyper TX2, they are $5 AR.
link

Hurry, the rebate ends today (the 16th).

I bought three of them (rebate limit) today.

kenrippy

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Dacalo
Ditch the Raptor and go for 750GB WD AAAKS for $165~. Same if not faster speed, and 5x the space.

how do you figure faster? not calling you a liar, i just have never seen any benchies that show a desktop drive faster than a raptor (other than SCSI)

raptor:
Average Latency: 2.99ms
Average Seek Time: 4.6ms
Average Write Time: 5.2ms
Cache: 16MB
10,000 RPM

wd 750 aaks:
Average Latency: 4.2ms
Average Seek Time: 8.9ms
Average Write Time: 10.9ms
Cache: 16MB
7,200 RPM

SerpentRoyal

Banned
May 20, 2007
There are reports of no POST with some Raptor drives and P35 boards. Check the Abit and Asus forum. A better deal is the new Seagate 7200.11 drives with perpendicular recording technology.

kenrippy

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2002
Originally posted by: SerpentRoyal
There are reports of no POST with some Raptor drives and P35 boards. Check the Abit and Asus forum. A better deal is the new Seagate 7200.11 drives with perpendicular recording technology.

i read that the few with problems are the newer 150gb drives.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003

You wouldn't be talking about the newer, faster 150 GB drives, that all of the retailers and e-tailers carry now, would you?:)

kenrippy

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2002
Originally posted by: myocardia

You wouldn't be talking about the newer, faster 150 GB drives, that all of the retailers and e-tailers carry now, would you?:)

i don't know if they're faster than the 750GB WD AAAKS drives though :D

street carp

Nov 1, 2007
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry
Wow, NewEgg sure raised the price on the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. In that case, I suggest buying a CoolerMaster Hyper TX2, they are $5 AR.
link

...ahhh, missed it. Pro reviews seem to like Thermalright. I'm gonna look for one of those.

Still undecided on the HD. 150GB Raptor having problems with P35...ok, I'll look into that.

kenrippy

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2002
the thermalright ultra 120 extreme & the tuniq tower 120 are 1&2 in performance right now. the tuniq is quite a bit cheaper and comes with a fan. might want to look into that if you want to know you have a great cooler. the tuniq has a fan controller that mounts on the back panel so you can keep it running quiet when not overclocking.

it fits fine on the ip35 pro too.

street carp

Nov 1, 2007
I just ended up getting an inexpensive 250GB Seagate SATA drive link because I've had a lot of luck with Seagate and wouldn't really see a benefit from a Raptor in my trading programs once they are running. If I need the extra space I'll add a 7200.11 500GB later.

I think that's it. I've updated the OP to show everything I bought with prices. Most were from Newegg, the cooler from Xoxide, the CPU from ClutIT.

Thanks for all the advice and now watch all of the killer deals coming in the next month now that I'm out of the market!:laugh:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: street carp
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry
link

...ahhh, missed it. Pro reviews seem to like Thermalright. I'm gonna look for one of those.

Still undecided on the HD. 150GB Raptor having problems with P35...ok, I'll look into that.

dude....

My asus + raptor = no problems.

I know a few people running abits on raptors, no problems.

Can u guys show me this link to where it says the P35 and raptors have issues? I havent had one issue. But then again, my drives have always been in raid.