Question New PSU old PC

Jay_Pee

Apr 29, 2020
Hi all. My old psu's fan became noisy after 5 years. I took the safe, fast and hassle free route of just replacing it with a new one. My question is, do I need to have 2 seperate PCIE dongles to run a single GTX970? With my old psu I had no choice but to use 2 dongles because each only had 1 pcie+2 connectors. With my new one, a dongle has 1 pcie+2 and 1 pcie. My complete specs are below.

I5-4690K no overclock
Asus Z97
Corsair Vengeance 8gb (4x2)
One SSD 480gb
One HDD 2tb
One Optical Drive
EVGA GTX 970
Corsair CX 650M (New)

Thanks in advance!

JP

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
For a lower power card like a 970, a single dual connector cable is sufficient.

If you had a 980ti or titan (something with a 250w+ power limit) you might want to use two separate cables.

I had a bios modded 980ti Classified that I cranked up to 475W power limit, allowing it to draw 225W from each 8 pin, and I fed it with a single cable with dual connectors. The cable got warm to the touch but it still seemed alright (It was a heftier 16 gauge cable, not a thinner 18 gauge like some power supplies use).

In retrospect I probably should have swapped out for the two single cables in this use case.

You're fine.

Jay_Pee

Apr 29, 2020
For a lower power card like a 970, a single dual connector cable is sufficient.

If you had a 980ti or titan (something with a 250w+ power limit) you might want to use two separate cables.

I had a bios modded 980ti Classified that I cranked up to 475W power limit, allowing it to draw 225W from each 8 pin, and I fed it with a single cable with dual connectors. The cable got warm to the touch but it still seemed alright (It was a heftier 16 gauge cable, not a thinner 18 gauge like some power supplies use).

In retrospect I probably should have swapped out for the two single cables in this use case.

You're fine.

Thank you for the peace of mind.

Cheers,

JP