Question New Psu keep or replace?

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
Hey just got a Seasonic PX-850. I dont know anything about the internals of a psu but 1 of the ports looks like its bent upwards(to high) Does anyone think this would be an issue? I only need 4 of the pcie/cpu ones. I just want to make sure nothing internally could be damaged in the long run. Should I replace it or is it ok?Pcicon.jpg

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Doesn't look too severe. Either the PSU was dropped on the upper side, or more likely, that was the connector that the CPU 8-pin power cable was connected to, and it was a tight fit, and it "pulled" the connector upwards a little bit. I would probably use the PSU.

I would actually be more concerned about the age of the PSU, than that connector issue.

Edit: The other question would be, did someone disassemble it?

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
Doesn't look too severe. Either the PSU was dropped on the upper side, or more likely, that was the connector that the CPU 8-pin power cable was connected to, and it was a tight fit, and it "pulled" the connector upwards a little bit. I would probably use the PSU.

I would actually be more concerned about the age of the PSU, than that connector issue.

Edit: The other question would be, did someone disassemble it?

Hey The psu was sent back. It was brand new and came that way. Didnt want to take a chance.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
No way to know for sure if it was just slightly misaligned during soldering or also a problem with the solder joints, except to open and inspect it which is more than most people would want to do with a new product having an intact warranty.

It was "probably" fine as long as it doesn't obstruct plugging the cable in.

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
No way to know for sure if it was just slightly misaligned during soldering or also a problem with the solder joints, except to open and inspect it which is more than most people would want to do with a new product having an intact warranty.

It was "probably" fine as long as it doesn't obstruct plugging the cable in.
I tried to pop it back in place but it wouldnt budge. Glad i sent it back.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I tried to pop it back in place but it wouldnt budge. Glad i sent it back.
If a soldered connector can still be used, it is better not to try to force it back where it ought to be. That can break otherwise viable (if they were) solder joints, but then we're talking about some different situation, used or gray market return difficulties (or a more rare widget during covid shortages) where you have to make due with what you have.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Something worth noting is you can tell if it is a problem, I mean if the solder joints aren't conducting properly, by simply measuring how much voltage drop there is at the load, under full load. There will be a little drop as you'd see with anything drawing current over wire, but if the solder joints are bad it will be a much larger drop like single digits opposed to fractions of one.