New phone with good battery life

skaertus

Mar 20, 2010
I am in search of a new phone, to be my second one and companion to my iPhone X. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S8 which fits that role, and, after some two years of usage, the touch screen is just terrible and the battery life is awful. Prior to this one, I had a Moto Z Play, which was slower but had great battery life.

Now, I have some contenders to replace my current Galaxy S8. As I live in Brazil, not all models are available here, and I am buying one locally. I use the smartphone for basic tasks, such as web browsing and e-mails, but I may be quite a heavy user sometimes, with several tabs and apps opened. However, I will not use it for games. As I will watch Netflix on it, I want a good screen, preferably AMOLED. And battery life is absolutely essential to me. In my normal usage, the Samsung Galaxy S8 cannot last half a day, so I would really like a battery that could handle my use pattern.

My options would be the following:

- Samsung Galaxy M30: great AMOLED screen, and great battery life with 5000 mAh, on a cheap model. I am a little bit concerned that the phone may be a bit too slow due to the Exynos 7904 processor. Plus, the model does not support LTE B20, which I suppose may be a problem when travelling to Europe. The Galaxy A30 would be similar, but I would get a 4000 mAh battery instead, and LTE B20 support.

- Samsung Galaxy A50: the processor seems to be faster, with an Exynos 9610, and can probably handle tasks well and without hiccups or slowdowns. However, I am concerned that battery life may not be enough with 4000 mAh.

- Samsung Galaxy A70: this model seems to be faster, but there are two things that concern me. First is the size of the screen, which at 6.7" may be too big using with one hand. Second is the battery with 4500 mAh which may not last a full day.

- Moto G7 Power: this one seems to have the best battery of all, with 5000 mAh. However, it may be too slow (slower than the M30) and the screen is IPS, not AMOLED. The advantage of this one is being very cheap.

Which one should I go with? I was inclined to get the M30, but the lack of B20 support is a bit of a concern. Perhaps I should take the A70, but I am not sure I could go a full day without having to recharge.

Any opinions?

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
ever consider a battery pack? i dont know what phones they offer there and i have zero experience with m30/ a70 / a50 etc. i have owned all the galaxy's except the 6 and 8. Maybe if you disable a few things you can get your battery life back? replace the battery is maybe 20$ in brazil and whats wrong with the touch screen?

skaertus

Mar 20, 2010
Too bad you wouldn't consider ordering one. The Samsung J7 Duo has an AMOLED screen and a removable battery, so you aren't limited in battery life necessarily.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_j7_duo-9153.php

It does seem to primarily be a European phone, but it would probably work in Brazil as well.

Thanks. The J7 Duo was available here in Brazil, but it is a last year model and can hardly be found for sale.

skaertus

Mar 20, 2010
ever consider a battery pack? i dont know what phones they offer there and i have zero experience with m30/ a70 / a50 etc. i have owned all the galaxy's except the 6 and 8. Maybe if you disable a few things you can get your battery life back? replace the battery is maybe 20$ in brazil and whats wrong with the touch screen?

I bought a battery pack (the only model which fit the S8) which died two weeks later. And it was very inconvenient to use.

The battery was never good for my kind of use, always very disappointing. And Samsung will charge me some USD 350 for changing both the screen and the battery.

skaertus

Mar 20, 2010
I suggest you to go for one plus. It is one of the best phone with great battery backup. Amazing mobile it is with great feature!!

The One Plus cannot be found for sale here in Brazil. Plus, the Brazilian communication agency will block the use of all mobile phones whose models it did not certify for use in Brazil. So, even if I buy one abroad, there is the risk of not being able to use it.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Just bought the girlfriend a moto 7 power, for $250 , it's a decent phone. Battery last almost 2 days of heavy use.