NEW PC

Imager

Aug 10, 2005
Ok just put together my first PC. Abit AN8 SLI into an Antec P160 Using A64 3500+

I have everything plugged in correctly - or so I thought - When I turn on the PC it gives me an error code on the bios/motherboard - says 0.4
According to Abits site I found that it said something about re-seating the RAM. I even tried 1 module. Switched from 1 and 2 to 3 and 4, etc. I checked the spacers on the mobo and case and all match up.
Not sure whatelse to try. The temp on the case reads 31C so nothing is running HOT.

Any HELP would be appeciated....

Imager

Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: wpshooter
Imager:

Have you tried resetting CMOS via jumper on the motherboard ?

Yes I moved the jumper over accordingly, when I turn the PC on the bios LED read out says CF - which from my seeing on the abit website it says the CMOS is resetting.

Other than that I have no idea what else to try. Am I to suspect I have bad ram?

I'm using Crucial value select.

wpshooter

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2004
Originally posted by: Imager
Imager:

Yes I moved the jumper over accordingly, when I turn the PC on the bios LED read out says CF - which from my seeing on the abit website it says the CMOS is resetting.

Other than that I have no idea what else to try. Am I to suspect I have bad ram?

Does it say the CMOS is resetting or that it is reset ?

Make sure you follow the motherboard manuals instructions exactly when you attempt to reset the CMOS. Usually, including having the power cord pulled from the power supply when you do this.

Sounds like to me that you already did about all of the field testing of your ram that you could do, without some type of ram tester. I have always had very good results when using Crucial brand.

Imager

Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Imager
Imager:

Does it say the CMOS is resetting or that it is reset ?

Make sure you follow the motherboard manuals instructions exactly when you attempt to reset the CMOS. Usually, including having the power cord pulled from the power supply when you do this.

Sounds like to me that you already did about all of the field testing of your ram that you could do, without some type of ram tester. I have always had very good results when using Crucial brand.

It doesn't or didn't indicate that the CMOS was resetting or had been reset - it only said CF on the LED read out on the mobo. I am suppose to turn the power back ON AFTER moving the jumper right? If not I hope I didn't fry my mobo. However it said 0.4 when I first booted.

It never said resetting CMOS or CMOS resetted no.

I'm really kinda P.O.'d considering the money I layed out and not sure exactly what the problem is - UGH!

Imager

Aug 10, 2005
I just tested old memory 266 (hope it was compatible) and got the same error code with using that too!
Am I to suspect the memory banks on the mobo are bad?

Imager

Aug 10, 2005
ok, I think I might have a very serious problem here. I went to reseat the CPU HS/Fan again and when I lightly pulled the HS/F off the CPU was on the bottom of it. Came right out of the socket :Q I'm thinking now it's something with the socket on the motherboard not keeping an exact connection for the CPU or something.

Some more experienced advince though would be insightful!

Thanks!

Imager

Aug 10, 2005
Fruther troubleshooting done - I moved the new RAM to the old rig and it fired up and read just fine. So weather it's the CPU or the RAM slots Im guessing......

anyone disagree?