New PC build : Windows 7 or Windows 10?

mfeller2

Dec 28, 2006
I am building a new PC. I happen to have a (legal!) unused Windows7 license. Should I use this or buy a Windows 10 license?

The PC will be used for light gaming, but will also be used for development and running virtual machines.

It is a Ryzen 2700, and the main reason I ask is to make sure I have the best OS performance/stability/etc. for this new CPU model, and Windows 7 updates stopped before this CPU came out.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
A Windows 7 key can still be used for a free copy of Windows 10, so you can come out free either way. I would do Windows 10 on new hardware.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Trying to run win 7 is possible, drivers will be a headache. The new hardware does NOT have support for 7. Besides 10 at this point is a very good OS.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
If you install Windows 7 on new motherboard/machine, drivers will be an issue.

So Windows 10 + Classic Shell.

You can download Win 10 USB version from Microsoft and install using Windows 7 key and see if it works.

Last edited:

mfeller2

Dec 28, 2006
...just to note it, as mentioned in a previous post...there is just an issue with the Windows 7 installation even recognizing hardware. It won't recognize a USB mouse or keyboard. The motherboard for some reason has a PS/2 connector, but I haven't had a PS/2 peripheral in probably a decade. So it looks like I'm forced to go the Windows 10 route, anyway.

FYI...the reason I was considering anyway: most and probably all of the software and games that I would run are okay with Windows 7. So why not use the license that is already paid for?