New pc build: black screen/restarts during gaming

Christopher Hays

Apr 30, 2017
So for the first week or so things were super stable, but recently I have started having issues with the computer restarting suddenly while gaming. I have the following specs:
Ryzen 7 1700
Asus Prime b350 plus motherboard with the latest BIOS
Patriot Viper 4 Series DDR 4 8 gb 3400MHz and a
500gb SSD,
Thermaltake 600w power supply and
GTX 1070 Founder's Edition

I at first thought things were over-heating but the the hottest the GPU seems to run is 60-70 degrees or so, the CPU will run at about 30 degrees surfing the internet and rise to maybe 47-55 degrees while gaming on the stock cooler.. I just installed Kombuster and I'm stress-testing the GPU right now and it's holding steady at 60 degrees and CPU is at a nice steady 40 degrees. (All temps Celsius of course)

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Heat will cause a slow down of some parts, mostly the cpu, but not normally a reboot. Test the memory. If it passes, look for a .dmp file, send it to an online analysis, looking for a driver conflict.The last obvious area is the psu--try another.

Christopher Hays

Apr 30, 2017
It shows what I get for getting a cheapy power supply. I replaced it with a enermax revolution duo. The old PSU was getting so unstable I couldn't even boot up windows but now it seems to run perfectly.