New Orleans overrun by snakes?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phoenix15

Golden Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: LeiZaK
Originally posted by: Phoenix15
as the resident expert on snakes (top this!) I would say, yeah, there are probablly a ton out there

I would contend that hardly makes you an expert...

bah, untill you've dragged a poisonous snake out of your computer room ,you haven't lived.

Phoenix15

Golden Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: GagHalfrunt
Originally posted by: spidey07
I thought cottonmouths were water dwelling for the most part?

They are. You have seen the satellite photos of New Orleans, right? The entire city is now swampland. It's perfect water moccasin habitat.

especially if people have to wait 1-2 months before they can come back into the city. The critters will be right at home by then.

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
That'd make me think twice about wading around in the water to loot stores. :D Course it'd probably deter me from foraging for food as well. :p

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

They are. You have seen the satellite photos of New Orleans, right? The entire city is now swampland. It's perfect water moccasin habitat.

especially if people have to wait 1-2 months before they can come back into the city. The critters will be right at home by then.

It is going to be a long term problem. Snakes are pretty adaptable, they tend to move in whereever there's a good food supply. As the water recedes the city is going to be filled with rats and mice. Where there are rats and mice there are snakes who don't want to be evicted. A couple of months from now NO will be filled with lots of overweight snakes. The only way the city will get rid of the snakes will be to cut off the food and that's going to be a real bitch.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
as the resident expert on snakes (top this!) I would say, yeah, there are probablly a ton out there

bah, untill you've dragged a poisonous snake out of your computer room ,you haven't lived.

When I go home this weekend, I will scan a picture of my dad from long ago holding a snake. He killed a 5 ft.+ rattler in the garage with a shovel. I would have been sh!tting bricks if I found it.

LookingGlass

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2005
I also wonder, about the water, and what long term effects this will have on the environment. Will that effect the creatures, and the snakes, eventually. Even under the harshest conditions, they will become effected, eventually. Get sick. It's a witches brew of crap in that water. Even the best snake doesn't live in conditions like that. All this is not normal. Maybe the effects won't show now, long term, it could be possible.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

It is going to be a long term problem. Snakes are pretty adaptable, they tend to move in whereever there's a good food supply. As the water recedes the city is going to be filled with rats and mice. Where there are rats and mice there are snakes who don't want to be evicted. A couple of months from now NO will be filled with lots of overweight snakes. The only way the city will get rid of the snakes will be to cut off the food and that's going to be a real bitch.

When is mating/breeding season? That would have a huge effect on the population. With lots of food comes lots of little snakes.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
omg

my skin curls when snakes are mentioned. i get goosebumps

wow

i live in the south.

are there a lot of snakes in Lousianian? texas? alabama?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Cotton Mouth is poisonous, but mostly eats frogs and rodents. Snakes can hear you coming a mile away. They know how to hide. Most people get bit jumping in water that is calm and undistrubed to find a nest of snakes waiting for them. I use to live on a lake. Granpa said before you go swimming just take a paddle and beat on the water and they will all run away.

Phoenix15

Golden Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: raildogg
omg

wow

i live in the south.

some. Rattlers, cotton mouths, copperheads, rat snakes, etc.. Depends on what area. I've personally see copperheads, rattlers, and many, many ,many rat snakes.

newParadigm

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2003
thats kinds acreepy, only stuff we see up here in NY (not the city...) are gardner snakes, and water snakes.

~new

Phoenix15

Golden Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: tfinch2

When I go home this weekend, I will scan a picture of my dad from long ago holding a snake. He killed a 5 ft.+ rattler in the garage with a shovel. I would have been sh!tting bricks if I found it.

In that thread one membr here said his dad worked for the utility company. He bent down to look in a drainage pipe and a copperhead struck at him. He threw up his hand and it hit his watch instead of his face. That's the scariest freaking encounter I've ever heard.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Originally posted by: raildogg
omg

wow

i live in the south.

some. Rattlers, cotton mouths, copperheads, rat snakes, etc.. Depends on what area. I've personally see copperheads, rattlers, and many, many ,many rat snakes.

what about North Carolina?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Plenty in north carolina.

typical southern snakes as mentioned above...

rat snakes, rattlers, cottonmouths, copperheads, king snakes, corn snakes.

"red on black, good for jack
red on yellow, kill a fellow"

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: piasabird
Cotton Mouth is poisonous, but mostly eats frogs and rodents. Snakes can hear you coming a mile away. They know how to hide. Most people get bit jumping in water that is calm and undistrubed to find a nest of snakes waiting for them. I use to live on a lake. Granpa said before you go swimming just take a paddle and beat on the water and they will all run away.

Granpa was wrong. That works for most snakes, but it's not 100% reliable for Cottonmouths. They're one of the most agressive species on earth, certainly the most agressive venomous snake in the US. They're just as apt to chase you down as they are to run away. The only safe way to deal with water mocassins is to avoid them entirely.

Aug 23, 2000
I pulled a copper head out from behind my grandmas dryer. She was freaking out and animal control was taking their sweet time. Behind the dryer is a hole in the wall that leads to the garage, I had to get him before he got in there because then I would have to burn the house down because there is so much crap in the garage for him to hide in.
I stuck a flash light over the back of the dryer and ducked down to grab him and got him by the head. He was PISSSSSSSSED. I tossed him in a pillow case and waited for animal control to show up.

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
Only poisonous snakes here in VT are Timber Rattlesnakes and I have not seen one of them in the ~24 years I have lived here.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: piasabird

if someone ever told me that, i wouldnt even go within 20 feet of said lake