New nVidia Beta 84.12 Driver enables H.264 decoding and PureVideo

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

1Dark1Sharigan1

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2005
Hmm, MPEG-2 decoding seems to work for me in WMP10 (or in Zoomplayer custom mode) on 81.98 drivers, but it seems to do nothing for H264 or WMV HD . . .

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: 1Dark1Sharigan1
Hmm, MPEG-2 decoding seems to work for me in WMP10 (or in Zoomplayer custom mode) on 81.98 drivers, but it seems to do nothing for H264 or WMV HD . . .
WMV HD 1080p worked just fine for me with the officials. These betas are working too. You have the hotfix for MP10 installed right?

1Dark1Sharigan1

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2005
Well I have the 84.12 drivers installed now and it seems to be helping WMV HD a bit. Instead of CPU loads in the 60s and 70s, I'm getting loads of 40s and 50s.

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
OK, I don't get what this is supposed to be doing. This is with a 7800GT.

* The PureVideo control panel icon only appears when playing DVDs thru WMP, not for any other formats - WMV HD, AVI, MPEG - or application, like WinDVD 7 Platinum.

* The Properties panel for the audio doesn't allow me to select the center speaker box, so it says output will be 4.1.

* I thought that I was able to play Apple HD trailers thru WinDVD, but as noted above, they either have no sound or make a terrible noise and have no picture. QT7 Pro runs fine, but PureVideo doesn't affect that, does it.

Are updates needed from the 3rd-party outfits like Intervideo to get this all working together? And WTF isn't the X-Fi supported?!?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
For support, you need a 6or7 series GPU that supports H.264 acceleration, all but nv40/45, drivers with support, and you need to buy a supporting decoder from

CyberLink PowerDVD? with H.264 (AVC) and AAC Pack
InterVideo® WinDVD®
Nero® ShowTime

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Gstanfor
So... where's Creig and the other FanATic FUD peddlers who flamed me and claimed NV40 was broken now? ...

I'm still around. And obviously so are nVidiots such as yourself.

Oh, and BTW, the NV40/45 WMV9 decode acceleration is still broken.

edit - And you can now add H.264 decode acceleration to the list of non-functional "features" as well. Check for yourself.

nVidia Video Card Features list

Thanks for the info (and backup) DAPUNISHER.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
Originally posted by: DefRef
Where's the Creative X-Fi?!? Uh-oh...

If their codec outputs standard PCM to the audio device (pretty sure it does) I don't see how the X-Fi isn't supported. Anyhow, don't expect much with these drivers. It definitely won't work with anything other than what's listed on NVIDIA's page. It already doesn't work with Nero ShowTime for two of us either.

Nero 7 Update/ShowTime
Version Number: 2.1.0.10
Release Date: October 31, 2005

New features
Improved H.264/AVC decoder with 20-30% speed gain on Hyper-Threading, Dual-Core and multiple CPU systems

You need at least that version I'm guessing, but I'm going to give the latest (2.1.0.15) a shot.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Creig
So... where's Creig and the other FanATic FUD peddlers who flamed me and claimed NV40 was broken now? ...

Oh, I'm still around. And obviously so are nVidiots such as yourself.

Oh, and BTW, the NV40/45 WMV acceleration is still broken.
No H.264 acceleration for nv40/45 so the PVP is borked! I hope his foot tastes good :p

Nero 7 Update/ShowTime
Version Number: 2.1.0.10
Release Date: October 31, 2005

New features
Improved H.264/AVC decoder with 20-30% speed gain on Hyper-Threading, Dual-Core and multiple CPU systems

You need at least that version I'm guessing, but I'm going to give the latest (2.1.0.15) a shot.
Thanx XTK.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: xtknight
As you can see, CPU usage was much decreased when enabling hardware acceleration in the latest version of Nero ShowTime. In fact, without hardware acceleration, the video simply couldn't continue whatsoever at one point. Playback with hardware acceleration on was butter smooth.

H.264 - No Hardware Acceleration
H.264 - Hardware Acceleration
<Quagmire>Allllright!

Could you try it with your core speed around 300-50 and then 500 or higher? That'll shake out if the acceleration being tied to core clock is as important as suggested.

fliguy84

Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Creig

I'm still around. And obviously so are nVidiots such as yourself.

Oh, and BTW, the NV40/45 WMV9 decode acceleration is still broken.

edit - And you can now add H.264 decode acceleration to the list of non-functional "features" as well. Check for yourself.

nVidia Video Card Features list

Thanks for the info (and backup) DAPUNISHER.

ah I've just gotten my hopes high with this driver. guess my 6800 agp is useless for h.264 :(

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
Since I didn't mention it earlier, I'm using da_vinci_code-tsr2_h1080p.mov (The Da Vinci Code Teaser 1080p) (150 seconds in duration).

This time I downclocked my eVGA 7800GT from stock 445/535 MHz (445/1070 MHz effective) to 300/535 MHz (300/1070 MHz effective) and 445/360 MHz (445/720 MHz effective).

H.264 - No Hardware Acceleration
H.264 - Hardware Acceleration - Stock Clocks (445/535)
H.264 - Hardware Acceleration - Lower Core (300/535)
H.264 - Hardware Acceleration - Lower Memory (445/360)

It looks like lowering the core speed actually did something. The memory speed didn't matter. That was the opposite of what I would have thought. Interesting.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Azndude2190
How does this drive fair with video games?Has anyone tried COD2 yet?
I played a couple hrs with no readily detectable issues. Also, Any IQ difference, if present, would require closer scrutiny than I am willing to devote.

Thanks for confirming core clock has an impact on acceleration xtknight :beer:

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER

Not sure of it actually, it's within margin of error. This movie is so big that it has to be paged a lot, or something. Results didn't seem consistent.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: xtknight
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER

Not sure of it actually, it's within margin of error. This movie is so big that it has to be paged a lot, or something. Results didn't seem consistent.
Percentage is 1 thing, but the way it stayed@100%@300 on the graph for a period, repeatedly, instead of just spiking as it did@445 seems to be another.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: XabanakFanatik
Originally posted by: Qbah
I am sick and tired of nvidia's level of drivers and stability. Every driver after 81.98 is totally unacceptable for me! EVERY time I try to do something using all the later ones gives me a BSOD. EACH AND EVERY TIME! If I want to play a game and alt-tab to desktop, bam, system stops after I reeneter the game and after 10s or so I get a BSOD. I can't play movies, cause the system HANGS each time I try to change something in the PureVideo controls. Bah, even opening them hangs the system!

After installing 84.12s I launched a DVD and :shocked: It looked so damn impressive! No pixels, no artifacts, no NOTHING! Perfect image quality! PureVideo at it's finest. But since I can't do anything else with those drivers, I went back to 81.98s. I launched the DVD again and almost cried. It looked so ugly, with plenty of artifacts and pixels (those drivers don't support PureVideo in DVDs). Games play fine - well, WoW mostly, but the shimmering is starting to give me a headache in this game! I tried so many different settings, none solve the problem.

I am desperate now. Please, PLEASE, I want a driver with 84.12s support for PureVideo, but completely stable and useable! The 10mins I watched my beloved Underworld completely spoiled me. I CAN'T watch it without PureVideo now, cause my eyes bleed once the first scenes show. The terrible IQ makes me wanna shoot myself!

As soon as a x1900xl or similar hits the market it's bye bye nShitia forever. Never again will I make the mistake of buying their products again!

EDIT: Some minor spelling mistakes.

I'm sorry, but every driver after 81.98 is beta or unofficial. 81.98 is the latest official non-beta driver.

You can't just expect a beta driver to be perfect.

Perfect, no. But I do expect them to be relatively stable. After all. we're talking beta, not alpha. Q is right in this.

xtknight

Elite Member
Oct 15, 2004
Got a BSOD from nv4_mini.sys with 84.12 drivers (I got lots from previous 80 drivers too). I did memtest86 today for an hour and no errors in all 2048MB of RAM. These 80 series drivers are quite unstable for me (whether the official WHQL, official beta, or non-official beta). It happened just when Quake 3 was about to come up.

BugCheck 100000D1, {baf8f020, 2, 1, b99b3e68}
Probably caused by : nv4_mini.sys ( nv4_mini+7ae68 )
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually
caused by drivers using improper addresses.

If anyone else gets BSODs from these see if you get the same error as me? Or send minidump and I'll analyze and find out.

Mar 19, 2003
I got some freezes while playing FarCry earlier, but after a minute or so it kept running as if nothing ever happened. Then a little while later, I don't know what happened, but the game started acting crazy, video freezing every few seconds (only if I moved the mouse) but audio playing with no problems at all...it's been a while since I've played FarCry, so I can't say for sure whether it's these new drivers or not (I was using 81.98 before). I was also encoding video (h.264) in the background on Core 0 with FarCry on Core 1 (now that I have 2GB of RAM I can actually do that :p), but that shouldn't cause these kinds of problems....:confused: (Edit: Plus the game and the video stuff were working from completely separate hard drives anyway)

HexiumVII

Dec 11, 2005
I got the decoder installed on my 7800Go 1920x1200LCD. For DVDs in WMP10 you get the decoder options in the taskbar. The deinterlacing its really awesome. No change in divx, .264, or hd wmv.

hmmm let me update nero and do some tests. Since my 7800 is 250MHz default and i o/c it to 370, we'll see how it helps ( i can get over 60% boost in games ocing)

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Dailytech has it as the latest top news story and a link to a preview. Looks like it has significantly lower CPU utilization compared to ATI in their testing. However, I think something is borked with their testing, the X1300pro shouldn't be capable of the same acceleration as the X1800XL for 1080p.

Tuan reported a playback issue on his Dell 3007WFP, but says the new betas fixed it. This is looking good for nV and H.264 acceleration, but IMHO, the continued listing of the requirements everywhere as needing a supporting decoder and 6/7 series card without mention of the nv40/45 lacking the capability is bad juju. If users fail to check that product comparison page and see their card isn't checkmarked, they could end up purchasing a supporting player with decoder only to discover it was wasted money :thumbsdown:

Even that preview states "This new version is compatible with the whole of the range GeForce 6 & 7" Am I the only one who checked that PureVideo produvct comparison page??? I have not seen any site mention it. :confused:

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
wow i got purevideo to run with some of the ripped dvds on my comp. amazing... especially band of brothers omg

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: AznAnarchy99
wow i got purevideo to run with some of the ripped dvds on my comp. amazing... especially band of brothers omg
Yeah the MPEG2 stuff is quite good, now imagine that ATI AVIVO looks even better yet! H.264 is a going to be a BFD though, so I am stoked my cards are going to offer good acceleration of the 1080p content.

Nov 15, 2005
How do I make the purevideo decoder work with WinDVD7? I'm using an 6150 board and have 84.20 drivers. I have the option "use hardware decode acceleration" checked in WinDVD7.

I'm hoping to not have to use WMP if possible.