New Nikon specs announced!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Deadtrees
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: ElFenix
D3/D300 can do AF on live view without dropping the mirror. i wonder how well it works, how crappy the AF in nikon's compacts is?

unfortunately canon's crop format lenses don't work on their 35 mm cameras. i still don't see the point of EF-S.

edit: read that wrong, thought D300 was FF

edit2: deadtrees is misleading us, the D300 is DX, not FX.

What? How did I mislead you and others? Where did I say that D300 is a FF camera????
How did you manage to read wrong when I didn't even mention anything about D300 being a FF camera???

bah, i'm reading "100% frame coverage" and thinking the photographic sensor, not the viewfinder.

<--- still hasn't had his coffee

Stupid.

its not stupid i thought that as well and had to read it again
and i have had coffee

pennylane

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2002
This is GREAT news for when it's time for me to upgrade from my D50... in like 5 years.

A full-frame that accepts DX lenses. Wow. Too bad about the crop resolution, but hey. It's a huge step forward as is.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I just read the news over at Dpreview.com. Talk about setting the Canon 40D forum ablaze!

I got to hand it to Nikon. They just delivered what people wanted and certinaly one-upped Canon in the process. The D300 looks amazing on paper, but let's see what real-world comparisons reveal. But the fact that the D300 has a "pro" level AF system, 3x the LCD resolution as the Canon, 100% viewfinder FoV, HDMI output, etc...it looks like Nikon really did its homework while Canon just got lazy and tweaked here and there. Then again, there is a $500 price difference.

But let's not rush to judgement and wait for the real-world results.

As for me, I don't think I could switch lens systems being so heavily vested in Canon. That gets a bit tricky.

Greetings from Germany this time!

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
I just read the news over at Dpreview.com. Talk about setting the Canon 40D forum ablaze!

I got to hand it to Nikon. They just delivered what people wanted and certinaly one-upped Canon in the process. The D300 looks amazing on paper, but let's see what real-world comparisons reveal. But the fact that the D300 has a "pro" level AF system, 3x the LCD resolution as the Canon, 100% viewfinder FoV, HDMI output, etc...it looks like Nikon really did its homework while Canon just got lazy and tweaked here and there. Then again, there is a $500 price difference.

As for me, I don't think I could switch lens systems being so heavily vested in Canon. That gets a bit tricky.

How in the hell did Canon get lazy???
What more do you want in a 1200-1300 camera. Price difference. Yes, 500 dollars.
You answered your own question.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: foghorn67

What more do you want in a 1200-1300 camera. Price difference. Yes, 500 dollars.

Canon really hasent done anything inovative recently
i equate them to Intel in the late 90s/early 00s

the more GHz/ MP = better idea

while nikon is more like AMD, doing more with less

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by: Anubis

Canon really hasent done anything inovative recently
i equate them to Intel in the late 90s/early 00s

the more GHz/ MP = better idea

while nikon is more like AMD, doing more with less

what??????????
-If you want a pro-body AF in a prosumer camera, get ready for the price difference. There is a few/several hundred dollar difference in the 40D/D300.
Nikon is not AMD like. The D300 is more expensive than the 40D. They offer slightly more, for more price. Your argument is broken.
-Canon the TOTAL opposite of the GHz/MP thing you have drawn.
1DIII, 40D, capped at their understanding of the current limitations of resolution, color, and noise. They aren't buying into the MP race, totally evident with the those two releases.
Nikon's new sensor is 12MP, how in the hell are they doing less with more, they have more MP.
-Nikon didn't 'invent' much here, they are buying Sony sensors. The amount of Nikon engineers that are in the sensor department is equal to the amount of feet you have.
Canon has their own sensor fabrication plants. They made their break into the CMOS area eons ago (in digital speak), and it's reaching the pinnacle. As far as Canon slacking, other radical sensor technologies are in the works. But we are a few years away from that.
Nikon finally 'developed' their own. But it was hardly completely indigenous.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
what??????????
-If you want a pro-body AF in a prosumer camera, get ready for the price difference. There is a few/several hundred dollar difference in the 40D/D300.
Nikon is not AMD like. The D300 is more expensive than the 40D. They offer slightly more, for more price. Your argument is broken.
-Canon the TOTAL opposite of the GHz/MP thing you have drawn.
1DIII, 40D, capped at their understanding of the current limitations of resolution, color, and noise. They aren't buying into the MP race, totally evident with the those two releases.
Nikon's new sensor is 12MP, how in the hell are they doing less with more, they have more MP.
-Nikon didn't 'invent' much here, they are buying Sony sensors. The amount of Nikon engineers that are in the sensor department is equal to the amount of feet you have.
Canon has their own sensor fabrication plants. They made their break into the CMOS area eons ago (in digital speak), and it's reaching the pinnacle. As far as Canon slacking, other radical sensor technologies are in the works. But we are a few years away from that.
Nikon finally 'developed' their own. But it was hardly completely indigenous.

I don't know of the analogy is a good one or not, but you seem to be discounting nikon a bit. What they've introduced now in the high end will trickle it's way down faster to the "D90" IMO. And for such a smaller company, they've done pretty well. It'll force canon to get moving.

And can anyone verify who makes the sensor? Sony announced the 12.5MP APS-C sensor, arguably, the D300 could be derived from that (it's not the same sensor, according to dpreview, it's a different size). The D3 is full framed, and there are no Sony announcements for a full frame sensor.

teatime0315

Nov 18, 2005
From the DPreview Forums, some say that the D300's sensor is made by Sony but with Nikon adjustments ie: 14 bit vs 12 bit.
And the D3's sensor is made by Nikon themselves.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000

2. D300

- 100% frame coverage
- 12 Megapixel Sony CMOs
- Weather Proof
- 3 Inch VGA LCD (4 times more resolution than current LCDs)
- 51 AF points, 19 cross sensor AF points.
- 6 fps, 8 fps with vertical grip attached

I like these specs. What is the price compared to a 40D I wonder? The reason I went with a 30D was because it was a lot cheaper than the D200. The specs were close enough where the canon won out for me. Of course now I have a big ass selection of canon lenses!

I hate technology!

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: rudder

2. D300

- 100% frame coverage
- 12 Megapixel Sony CMOs
- Weather Proof
- 3 Inch VGA LCD (4 times more resolution than current LCDs)
- 51 AF points, 19 cross sensor AF points.
- 6 fps, 8 fps with vertical grip attached

I like these specs. What is the price compared to a 40D I wonder? The reason I went with a 30D was because it was a lot cheaper than the D200. The specs were close enough where the canon won out for me. Of course now I have a big ass selection of canon lenses!

I hate technology!

sub 2K
most rumors put it round 1800

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
imaging resource says that the LCD is 640x480. they get to 920K pixels by counting each color.

Deadtrees

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2002
One of the key features is its "Lock-on"-like 3D AF tracking function.
Once you set your AF on the subject, it'll follow the subject even if you change the frame.
Not only that, white balance, exposure will be changed accordingly.

It sounds like an advanced AF-C (AI Servo in Canon's term) and if it works as it promises,
this would be a great selling point for those who're into sports/birds/children photography.