New nForce 4 drivers released

MeatHead88

Feb 4, 2005
Can someone try these and let us know if they resolve any disk corruptopn issues in windows? I'm stuck at work and can't get home to try 'em out....

davidos

Nov 29, 1999
should we uninstall the old ones first from Add/Remove Programs? or just install these over them?

govern1

Dec 30, 2004
I'm not so sure I'd be uninstalling your NVidia chipset drivers to install new ones. That usually leaves you with a system that will not boot back into windows. That link only tells you to uninstall the video drivers.
I can personally attest to the non-booting part after uninstalling the chipset drivers to install new ones.

Shawn

coyrls

Feb 3, 2005
I agree, the link is the same as the one you are sent to from the video driver download page and it is the right advice IF you are installing a video driver. There would be no point in removing the video drivers to install new chipset drivers.

coyrls

Feb 3, 2005
To clarify... I agree that you should NOT uninstall the chipset drivers....... but as my download keeps hanging, I won't be able to install the new drivers anyway!

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I hope these drivers bork the fvck out of NF4 boxes. This is against NVidia's UDA policy. And to play favorites to a few new customers while screwing hordes of long standing customers (NF, NF2, NF3) is outright stupid.

Have a nice day. :)

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
No way dude, I'm in a great mood. It's friday, I don't have to work this weekend, my wife is taking me to my favorite mexican rest. for dinner, I have video games to play later, the kids got good grades on their report cards, etc...

I just calls 'em like I sees 'em.

imported_2x

Jan 20, 2005
If anyone is getting screwed, it's nforce4 users, not nforce3, 2 and prior. Those chipsets are as mature as they can be at this point. No software enhancements will help much at this point. Nforce4 users have a chipset that has not had official chipset drivers from the main manufacturer since their release. Nvidia decides to remedy something which should have been done before the nforce4 was put out for sale and prior nforcers are getting screwed? And now you hope we get out rigs borked? What the heck did we, the customer do wrong? Mexican food huh - no one is taking me out for Mexican tonight - wonder if I should hope you get botulism? Nah.

blackinches

Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Megatomic
I hope these drivers bork the fvck out of NF4 boxes. This is against NVidia's UDA policy. And to play favorites to a few new customers while screwing hordes of long standing customers (NF, NF2, NF3) is outright stupid.

Have a nice day. :)

blackinches would like to know why so much hate for the nf4?

blackinches would also like ot know what video games are you gonna play?

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: babyjocko
I can't believe you guys even reply to the troll.
LoL, I was just expressing my displeasure with the situation. I've been far more help to far more users at more than just this forum than many users.

blackinches - No hate for the NF4, just NVs decision to violate their long standing policy on UDA (i.e jealous that the drivers aren't for my NF3-250Gb mobo). And this weekend I'll be playing Painkiller: Battle out of Hell. I have to finish it before Feb. 8 when KOTOR 2 comes out for PC.

runestone

Nov 25, 2004
well, I loaded the new drivers. Left the IDE drivers as is. I'm not running ncq drives, so I can't say if it helped that problem for those that do.
It did load the nvidia sound mixer, which I had to disable in device manager to allow M-Audio soundcard to control sound.
I did not uninstall the original drivers, per some advice others had posted. Seems to be running fine; do some more digging after work.

runestone

Nov 25, 2004
Originally posted by: MeatHead88
runestone, do you have Maxtor SATA drives? If so, have you ever noticed any issues b4?

No, I have one raptor74 and a seagate sata on the nvidia ports, a wd ata on the ide . I hope the new driver clears issues up for those of you with the maxtor ncq issues.
I do see that the raptor shows ncq option in the controller in device manager, but it makes no diff if it's on or off.
Is there a firmware update for the Maxtors?

Tanclearas

May 10, 2002
Heading home right now. I'll see what happens when I enable command queuing. With a little luck, it'll bork my system and Megatomic can truly end his week on a high note. Actually, I hope the high note hits once that Mexican food has worked its way through his colon.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Hahaha :beer: I like your sense of humor Tanclearas.

I don't eat the extremely spicy stuff, I have acid reflux. But I do like carnitas.

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
"If anyone is getting screwed, it's nforce4 users, not nforce3, 2 and prior. Those chipsets are as mature as they can be at this point. No software enhancements will help much at this point. "

I wouldn't say it's as mature as can be, they still have at least one major bug left with Win2k hanging under some 3D applications when using a GeForce6 series graphics card and an XD bit supporting processor.
Their driver team confirmed that would be fixed in the next driver release.... back in November.

I installed the drivers on my nForce4 system... hasn't appeared to make any difference, but I wasn't having any issues before anyways and I've NCQ disabled so that's a non-issue for me.

MeatHead88

Feb 4, 2005
Are you speaking of a firmware update for the actual drives? I've never updated hard drive firmware b4. Where would I find that?

runestone said
"No, I have one raptor74 and a seagate sata on the nvidia ports, a wd ata on the ide . I hope the new driver clears issues up for those of you with the maxtor ncq issues.
I do see that the raptor shows ncq option in the controller in device manager, but it makes no diff if it's on or off.
Is there a firmware update for the Maxtors? "

bellang

Jan 23, 2005
Installed them an hour or so ago. Havent enabled NCQ yet (need a stiff drink first.....) on my Seagate NCQ drives, but have noticed that the problem I had with NAI not always starting on bootup has gone away. Alongside NVraid crashing a few mins after boot up (raid 1 system).