New Navy ship named after Giffords

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Having every other ship named USS Yorktown would get confusing.

Aircraft carriers should carry names that have appropriate historical weight to them. Carl Vinson/John Stennis/Gerald Ford/George Bush do NOT qualify as such. Naming a smaller ship after them would be much more appropriate. Naming any ship after Gabrielle Giffords is just silly. She's not a figure of any historical significance at all. What happened to her was tragic, but she's really no more than a flavor of the week celebrity.

etrigan420

Golden Member
Oct 30, 2007
Aircraft carriers should carry names that have appropriate historical weight to them.

Well that's like, your opinion man.

I personally don't think that they should re-use any names. It detracts from the historical significance of the original vessel.

For the record, I don't think that they should be naming ships after currently living people either, but it is what it is.

Much ado about nothing...in my opinion.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
I know it's my opinion, this is an internet discussion board. IMO the Navy's WWII system for naming ships was a perfect example of something that was not broken and didn't need to be fixed.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
I know it's my opinion, this is an internet discussion board. IMO the Navy's WWII system for naming ships was a perfect example of something that was not broken and didn't need to be fixed.

Yet you clearly don't know what the hell you are talking about. Calling Former Rep. Giffords a "flavor of the week celebrity" shows complete ignorance of her and her work, not to mention colossal insensitivity to her personal tragedy and recovery

Claiming that no WWII Carrier was ever named after a person shows your colossal ignorance of U.S. Naval history.

Perhaps you should limit your participation in internet discussions to areas where you have a bit more knowledge of the facts.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Calling Former Rep. Giffords a "flavor of the week celebrity" shows complete ignorance of her and her work, not to mention colossal insensitivity to her personal tragedy and recovery.

Sorry but I am sick of our national fetish for blowing a few sob stories out of all proportion. What happened to Gabrielle Giffords was horrible but horrible accidents happen to good people every day. How many Americans have been paralyzed, lost a limb, endured brain damaged or been horribly burnt in the past year? What makes Gabrielle Giffords any more special than they are?

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Right...The USS Franklin wasn't named after Benjamin Franklin; it was named after a previous ship named after....Benjamin Franklin.

412424523_21d3228490.jpg

There was a ship named after Benjamin Franklin during the Cold War (SSBN-640), and unlike the aircraft carrier it had his full name. The carrier was named after the previous ships to carry that name, hence it simply being named USS Franklin. The first US aircraft carrier to be named directly after a person was the USS Franklin D. Roosevelt, which BTW did not see service in WW2.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
There was a ship named after Benjamin Franklin during the Cold War (SSBN-640), and unlike the aircraft carrier it had his full name. The carrier was named after the previous ships to carry that name, hence it simply being named USS Franklin. The first US aircraft carrier to be named directly after a person was the USS Franklin D. Roosevelt, which BTW did not see service in WW2.

Obtuse much?

Seriously, are you trying to sound like an idiot?

It was named after founding father Benjamin Franklin and served in WWII.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Franklin_(CV-13)

You erroneously claim that no WWII carriers were named after people. After I post examples proving you wrong, you lamely claim they weren't named after people, but after previous ships named after people. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
Get over yourself, find a clue, then stop posting.

Last edited:

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Franklin
  • USS Franklin (1775) was a 6-gun schooner, fitted out in 1775 and returned to the owner in 1776
  • USS Franklin (1795) was an 8-gun brig built in 1795, captured by corsairs from Tripoli in 1802, bought back by the Navy in 1805, and sold in 1807
  • USS Franklin (1815) was a 74-gun ship of the line launched in 1815 and broken up in 1852
  • USS Franklin (1864) was a screw frigate launched in 1864 and in active service until 1877, thereafter used as a receiving ship until 1915
  • USS Franklin (CV-13) was an aircraft carrier commissioned in 1944 and crippled by bombs in March 1945, later repaired but remaining in reserve until stricken in 1964

Please note that the USS Franklin D Roosevelt is CV-42, the USS Franklin CV-13. The USS Franklin is the first carrier to be named after a person, it was known as the "Big Ben".

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
I don't see what the big deal is here although personally, I think 'people names' should be rare... maybe presidents with carriers but that's about it. It's seems to me that to honor historical battles, principles, and places is better than recognizing one person.

If I made the rule, it would be people names with frigates and lower. Subs, carriers, cruisers, and destroyers get non people names. That's my personal opinion but in the scheme of things this is not that big a deal.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I don't see what the big deal is here although personally, I think 'people names' should be rare... maybe presidents with carriers but that's about it. It's seems to me that to honor historical battles, principles, and places is better than recognizing one person.

If I made the rule, it would be people names with frigates and lower. Subs, carriers, cruisers, and destroyers get non people names. That's my personal opinion but in the scheme of things this is not that big a deal.
I like that idea. I also like the idea of naming one of the new littoral combat ships after Giffords. She's a fighter, and was a pretty darned good non-partisan Representative at a time when such is difficult.

When you come right down to it, society needs heroes and ideals, and sometimes fighting a very difficult personal battle after being wounded in service of her country makes as good a hero and as shining an ideal as fighting a very difficult battle in war.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

Read further, find clue, I'm done with your idiocy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Franklin_(CV-13)

The keel of Franklin was laid down on 7 December 1942, the first anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor, and she was launched by the Newport News Shipbuilding Company, in Virginia, on 14 October 1943, sponsored by Lieutenant Commander Mildred H. McAfee, an American naval officer who was the Director of the WAVES. This warship was named in honor of the founding father Benjamin Franklin and for the previous warships that had been named for him.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Aircraft carriers should carry names that have appropriate historical weight to them. Carl Vinson/John Stennis/Gerald Ford/George Bush do NOT qualify as such. Naming a smaller ship after them would be much more appropriate. Naming any ship after Gabrielle Giffords is just silly. She's not a figure of any historical significance at all. What happened to her was tragic, but she's really no more than a flavor of the week celebrity.

Thank goodness your opinion means nothing.