Question New Multi-use Desktop: File/Plex Server, BOINC(Rosetta), Software Development, Gaming

aclos3

Jul 7, 2013
I am in the process of replacing my old "server" that is running a Xeon 1230 v2, Nvidia 1070 and Nvidia 970. Over the years this machine has been used mostly as a file server (Plex), but has also been used for gaming, mining, media playback, etc.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

I am in the process of changing careers and I am currently a full time college student in a post-baccalaureate B.S. Computer Science program. I have set up an office in a guest bedroom that houses the server and I would like to start using this desktop for my day to day work instead of my laptop (2017 Gigabyte Aero 15). The new desktop will continue to serve a large Plex library, which often involves some on the fly conversion. Additionally, I do some gaming, but feel content with the performance of my laptop's 1060, so the 1070 that I already have will probably be just fine. Finally, I'd like to run BOINC for Rosetta (thanks for the inspiration @Markfw)

So: Plex File Server, gaming, software dev (visual studio, etc.), web browsing, BOINC -- all in one box!

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
~$1000, but more concerned about good bang for the buck.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
US

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.
None.

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
-Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum - I believe this has the appropriate connections for an X570 mb, but if not I can replace this too.
-Nvidia 1070 GTX
-Lian-Li PC65 ATX case
-Sata SSD for OS (Crucial CT512MX100) - worth going to a fancy new M.2 drive?
-Optical drive (sata)
~4-5 HDDs in the 3-8TB range.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Very mild OC, none at all.

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?
2x 2560x1440

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Ordering this week

10. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?
No, reusing my Windows 10 pro retail license

Right now I am thinking about:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Plus (non wi-fi)
G.SKILL 32Gb 2x16Gb F4-3600C16D-32GVKC (this is on the motherboard QVL)

I am on the fence about changing the OS hard drive and whether or not to just use stock cooling. I don't really plan to OC, but this CPU will be at 100% most of the time. Additionally, I would appreciate any other guidance you're willing to offer. Here's my simple part picker list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xmf27T

Thank you in advance for your time!

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I like your list... But for your purposes, I think you need more cores. 3900x ? And the PSU, does it have 2 CPU connectors ? Most likely not, and you need that. M.2 2280 SSD ! Of course you have to have that.

The ram and motherboard are fine. With all those hard drives, and since you need another PSU I am pretty sure, and since you may upgrade your video card.... I would say a minimum of 750 watt, maybe even 860 watt with all those hard drivers.

aclos3

Jul 7, 2013
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that I could spend a little less on the processor this go around and see what the 4000 series brings and/or watch black friday sales nearer to the end of 2020. I did have a 3700x in the build list for awhile though...

You've really got me thinking on the M.2 SSD front, may have to go research that a bit more.

Regarding the PSU, it appears that there are quite a few CPU / PCI labeled ports in addition to the standard 8 pin CPU connector. I will take a look at which cables and connections I have, OR if it is pretty definitive that my selected motherboard won't play with the existing PSU, I'll grab a new one. I see that you like the EVGA's quite a bit.

Here's the back of my PSU:
1578705198052.png

aclos3

Jul 7, 2013
So, I looked through the box the PSU came in and found that it does indeed include a second "PSU to CPU 4 + 4" cable that can plug in to any of the 8 pin blocks on the lower right side of the of the power supply image shown above. I am going to try to attempt to use this power supply with the Asus X570 TUF Gaming Plus board, but will monitor things closely -- especially those WHEA errors. Thanks again for the help.