New mouse (Corsair Harpoon): 500meg size for driver/software bundle?!

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
So after years of faithful use, the left mouse button of my Kensington mouse is sticking to the point where i have to press hard to get a webpage to acknowledge.

Luckily, i had a backup mouse.
It's a Corsair Harpoon RGB gaming mouse. (Note: I haven't gamed in over a decade)
Amazon.com: CORSAIR HARPOON- RGB Gaming Mouse - Lightweight Design - 6,000  DPI Optical Sensor : Video Games

i probably got it because it was on sale cheap and does what i want, which is at least 5 mouse buttons of which 3 (including the wheel) are programmable.

Driver from Corsair's site:

it's 500megs!
for a mouse?!?!?!
WTF Bloat?

so sticking with the old software.
it seems to work just fine.

edit:
hm.. this mouse has a 6th button (below the wheel).
current software doesnt see that button.
Guess i have to get their software :(

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Stick with Logitech and you usually won't have to install any driver.... Windows default works fine.

Sounds like they want you to download iCUE which you 100% should not need to use for a mouse! (bad enough I have to use it to control RGB and my AIO)

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
They prob make more $$ from selling your data by installing the mouse's software than the mouse itself.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Stick with Logitech and you usually won't have to install any driver.... Windows default works fine.

Sounds like they want you to download iCUE which you 100% should not need to use for a mouse! (bad enough I have to use it to control RGB and my AIO)
Bought a G815 for the macro keys. Need to install GHUB to use them. Installation freezes the entire machine. GHUB uninstall DOES NOT WORK even a tiny little bit. Absolute garbage company these days.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Why is your mouse button sticky?

Same reason his keyboard is! :p

Bought a G815 for the macro keys. Need to install GHUB to use them. Installation freezes the entire machine. GHUB uninstall DOES NOT WORK even a tiny little bit. Absolute garbage company these days.

Sorry to hear that.... they work flawlessly on both my G910 keyboards on Win 10 and 11 Pro and I've un-uninstalled/re-installed GHUB several times on several systems without a problem. (it's annoying that a resource-hog utility is required for a mouse at all though)

Have you contacted support? Sounds like you might have a defective keyboard.

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Same reason his keyboard is! :p

Sorry to hear that.... they work flawlessly on both my G910 keyboards on Win 10 and 11 Pro and I've un-uninstalled/re-installed GHUB several times on several systems without a problem. (it's annoying that a resource-hog utility is required for a mouse at all though)

Have you contacted support? Sounds like you might have a defective keyboard.
The keyboard is fine, just can't use the macro keys. GHUB is the problem and it isn't limited to me. Check r/LogitechG it is littered with people having the same problem among many others and their support is absolute garbage.

For example, I post that GHUB crashes during install and they reply with a link to install GHUB...

• Wow

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
GHUB is the problem and it isn't limited to me.

You should see the reviews for Corsair's iCUE software... makes those look almost positive!

:p

It has to be a conflict with some other installed software or driver on your system (in particular other RGB-control suites come to mind) however if Logitech can't be bothered to fix it you may be SOL unless you trouble-shoot it yourself.

The only way I can think of to figure it out would be to "reset" Windows (or do a clean-install) then try installing G-Hub first and see if you have the same issues, then pay attention when re-installing other software to see if/when it recurs.

Again GHUB = pure resource-hogging bloat BUT for me and many others it works just fine on multiple PC's with completely different hardware.... including macros and un-installing.

EDIT: 99% of my system "wonkiness/instability" went away when I finally broke down and removed all traces of ASUS's super-buggy "Armory Crate" RGB/motherboard control software for example.

Last edited:
Reactions: dank69

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Oh man I forgot about how bad some drivers are. In Linux don't really have to deal with that.

Though there may be a way to just find the inf file on the CD and load it that way through device manager and bypass the installer that puts a bunch of junk with it too. Been a while though, maybe it's different in newer versions of Windows now?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
find the inf file on the CD

Driver-CD..... how quaint! ;)

(I didn't realize Timmins was THAT far out in the boonies!)

images

Seriously all the recent Logitech Windows drivers are (far as I can see) buried in the code of the GHUB app... I'm sure it's POSSIBLE to extract them but even though it's only about 40 mb's in size it may still be a big PITA and not function correctly.

I load GHUB @ startup to assign RGB colors to my Logitech G910 keyboard however neither of the mice I daily-drive (MX-510 wireless and MX-518 corded/gaming) require it at all. Unless I need to use a custom macro I exit it immediately once KB RGB is active.

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
That utility (Logitech OMM) looks interesting however per the support site and Reddit user-comments it will:

(1) Not work properly with the G815 keyboard

(2) Not have any effect on macro-usage or the un-installation issue.

bba-tcg

Apr 8, 2010
computerguyonline.net
So after years of faithful use, the left mouse button of my Kensington mouse is sticking to the point where i have to press hard to get a webpage to acknowledge.

Luckily, i had a backup mouse.
It's a Corsair Harpoon RGB gaming mouse. (Note: I haven't gamed in over a decade)
View attachment 63655

i probably got it because it was on sale cheap and does what i want, which is at least 5 mouse buttons of which 3 (including the wheel) are programmable.

Driver from Corsair's site:

it's 500megs!
for a mouse?!?!?!
WTF Bloat?

so sticking with the old software.
it seems to work just fine.

edit:
hm.. this mouse has a 6th button (below the wheel).
current software doesnt see that button.
Guess i have to get their software :(
You don't need Corsair's driver for just every day ordinary use. Even for DPI changes, the button behind the scroll wheel works for that even without their software.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
1. all mice have a button beneath the wheel;
2. not gonna bother googling it but chances are, there's "drivers only" drivers out there;
3. Zowie FK still better than anything else (AND driverless).

in regards to buttons being programmable, it depends on the app you want to use it with. If you mean "assign specific functions" then either AutoHotKey, or yeah, you may need bigger drivers.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Hell, the newest nVidia drivers are over 600 mb...and don't include anything like the iCue software... :p

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Hell, the newest nVidia drivers are over 600 mb...and don't include anything like the iCue software... :p

786 mb's to be exact! :oops:

To be fair that does include the GeForce Experience software utility which is extremely bloated. (and that I never install)