New Motherboard Promises Out-of-the-Box Hackintosh Support

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Keep us posted on how it works out for you. I recently decided to dump my Hackintosh for a real Mac Pro.

rhys216

Jul 22, 2009
^ Anyone receive theirs yet?

Not yet. Cancelled then re-ordered. Took a bath with the paypal and the exchange rate. They promised 1 week dispatch, 2-3 weeks later no motherboard yet.

These boards were supposed to be shipping May, then June, then July.. now it's August.

I assume they must be having issues with these boards doing what they have said is on the tin.

Last edited:

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Sad these aren't coming to fruition yet. =( Hopefully, they get these sorted out. I have been eyeing a rMBP for work, and wouldn't mind a dual booting workstation at home.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
They also link another web site which has posted a modded bios that supposedly allows directly booting and installing using an unaltered Apple OSX DVD/USB thumb drive

I am confused, wasn't that the main point of this motherboard? To be able to boot "any OS"? If you have to go to a third party for a hacked BIOS you would seem to be entering standard hackintosh territory. At that point, why not save some money buy a cheaper motherboard and just go the full hackintosh route?

I am not trying to be argumentative. I am honestly confused as to what the purpose of the board is. I thought it was suppose to be "load OS X out of the box" experience.

-KeithP

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
I am confused, wasn't that the main point of this motherboard? To be able to boot "any OS"? If you have to go to a third party for a hacked BIOS you would seem to be entering standard hackintosh territory. At that point, why not save some money buy a cheaper motherboard and just go the full hackintosh route?

I am not trying to be argumentative. I am honestly confused as to what the purpose of the board is. I thought it was suppose to be "load OS X out of the box" experience.

-KeithP

As it stands now the mobo is a overpriced piece of outdated tech. At least the products are sort of shipping.

Last edited:

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

-KeithP

My guess is: the QUO computer's bios can't be TOO OSX-friendly, or Apple might decide on doing another Psystar-type legal system challenge. As long as the bios modding stays elsewhere, they're probably safe. I agree: it's only the bios capabilities that differentiate this board from other Gigabyte boards that are primarily designed for use with a Windows operating system.
Note: AFAIK, "standard hackintosh territory" has never before been equipped to boot and install using ONLY an unaltered Apple OSX DVD/USB thumb drive. Usually requiring access to an already-working OSX system to create a Hack-friendly modified installation DVD/USB stick.

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
My guess is: the QUO computer's bios can't be TOO OSX-friendly, or Apple might decide on doing another Psystar-type legal system challenge. As long as the bios modding stays elsewhere, they're probably safe. I agree: it's only the bios capabilities that differentiate this board from other Gigabyte boards that are primarily designed for use with a Windows operating system.
Note: AFAIK, "standard hackintosh territory" has never before been equipped to boot and install using ONLY an unaltered Apple OSX DVD/USB thumb drive. Usually requiring access to an already-working OSX system to create a Hack-friendly modified installation DVD/USB stick.

EFI-X has done something similar to this without legal complications. Plug their device into a motherboard header, boot up OSX on supported motherboards. I used to have one, it worked great! They're on version 4.0 now:

http://www.art-studios.net/en/page/EFiX_BPU_Hardware

The key thing legally appears to be not selling a non-Apple computer pre-loaded with Hackintosh. Psystar was selling Mac clones commercially for profit, which was directly competing with Apple's sales. iirc some people were doing BIOS modding in the past on different boards as well.

Anyway, I think it's a cool idea, but given how easy Tonymac has made it with Unibeast, Multibeast, and Chimera, why not just buy a regular board and be done with it? It's an admirable project, but I would like to see stuff like natively-supported audio, maybe integrated/supported Wi-fi/Bluetooth, and an available modded BIOS for direct booting the OSX installer disc. I do like the fact that it comes with Firewire & Thunderbolt onboard. Does anyone know if Thunderbolt supports Hotswap on the Quo, or do you have to shutdown to swap Tbolt devices?

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
This whole thing has me feeling like I'm in a time warp back to 2009 or so.

That link to boot from an unaltered OSX DVD lists 10.6.3. The Hack community was booting and installing systems from an unaltered Snow Leo DVD years ago.

Also, hacked BIOS's to allow full retail installs are nothing new, not even for Mountain Lion, let alone Snow Leo.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
This whole thing has me feeling like I'm in a time warp back to 2009 or so.

That link to boot from an unaltered OSX DVD lists 10.6.3. The Hack community was booting and installing systems from an unaltered Snow Leo DVD years ago.

Those methods still required something, besides ONLY:
1. PC with a blank hard drive.
2. Unaltered Apple OSX install DVD/USB stick.

Specifically requiring: a specially designed pre-boot disc from tonymac, or similar method.
However, that particular install method is no longer viable, when talking about a fresh install on a blank hard drive of OSX 10.7, 10.8, or 10.9. Apple curiously decided to no longer offer for retail sale, their own pressed DVD copies of OSX install discs. Any version newer than 10.6.3 requires burning your own DVD or making your own USB stick. Which again requires availability of a working OSX system to create.
So: as long as someone can overcome the obstacle of making their own OSX install DVD/USB stick, the QUO machine would then allow fresh installing (on a blank hard drive) of any OSX version 10.6.3 or newer. Which is an advance over whatever install procedure was in use, circa 2009.

Last edited:

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Custom BIOS's allowed booting from an unaltered Snow Leo DVD. These sort of custom BIOS's are nothing new, or does anyone really believe someone just invented that capability out of thin air just for this QUO board?

As for anything newer than that, (Lion, Mountain Lion) since just about the only way to get it is to download it from the Mac App store (requiring access to an existing Mac or Hackintosh already) I don't see where this is any different.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Custom BIOS's allowed booting from an unaltered Snow Leo DVD. These sort of custom BIOS's are nothing new, or does anyone really believe someone just invented that capability out of thin air just for this QUO board?

On InsanelyMac.com forums, "Cartri" attempted to create some Gigabyte bios mods that would allow such a scenario for OSX installation, but he ultimately never completely succeeded. The author later deleted his forum posts and his own modded bios download web site, for reasons he never explained.
So: AFAIK, "booting from an unaltered Snow Leo DVD" has not been actually possible, until now with this QUO board. I'm sure that the newer chipset board's UEFI bios as well as the much larger size of 8 Mb also helps to allow for such improved flexibility of bios capabilities.

Last edited:

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
What does "never completely succeeded" mean exactly? Never completely succeeded to get a custom BIOS working on every possible Gigabyte motherboard? Sure. Never completely succeeded to get it working on a few select Gigabyte motherboards? I'm pretty sure he did.

And like I said, all of this is like a time warp back to 2009. What's the big deal with installing Snow Leopard? It's now two (soon to be three) generations old of the OS.

Installing retail Snow Leopard -other than when it first came out- was always easy, and for the most part didn't require an existing Mac or Hackintosh, since most methods just required burning a startup CD from a disk image (something you could do with any computer running just about any OS) and then boot directly from the official retail install DVD.

It's still the recommended method for those without access to an existing Mac to get to Mountain Lion, via installing Snow Leo first, then using the app store to download and prepare the installers for ML.

So I guess I'm once again just not getting what all the excitement is over this outdated stuff. So you can bypass the "exceedingly complicated" extra step of creating a boot CD (as I recall the disk images were so small it took literally about a minute to burn) in order to boot/install Snow Leopard directly. The whole process is a 2009-era biiiiig whoopidy.

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
What does "never completely succeeded" mean exactly? Never completely succeeded to get a custom BIOS working on every possible Gigabyte motherboard? Sure. Never completely succeeded to get it working on a few select Gigabyte motherboards? I'm pretty sure he did.

No, "Cartri's" goal of directly booting a retail Snow Leopard install DVD was, AFAIK, never achieved. There was some progress (via modifying several P45 & X58 chipset Gigabyte bioses) towards that goal (which made the OSX install process more streamlined), but after a while any internet presence that he had was just blotted out by him and erased.
Don't really understand what his decision for doing so was based upon. There was a problem with Paypal blocking user donations going to him in Brazil, for one thing.

Last edited:

rhys216

Jul 22, 2009
Looks like Quo are back to ignoring my emails after continually breaking their promises.
Why can't these guy's be strait up and just be honest about what they can deliver (or can't).
I ordered my board way back in May, had to cancel order before 3 months past else I couldn't claim from paypal should I never receive the board. I took a hit with fees and exchange rates but as I'm a sucker, I then stupidly I ordered again when they sent me to a link of them opening up boxes of stock. Obviously they were implying the board was about to ship as they had promised.

I'm kicking myself for ordering a whole system just for this board. And before you say it, I can't get the gigabyte equivalent to work to matter what I do, even with just HD4k graphics.
Maybe it's the thunderbolt monitor, who knows but it just doesn't want to boot.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Maybe it's the thunderbolt monitor, who knows but it just doesn't want to boot.

There is no known method for displaying a Thunderbolt monitor on a Hackintosh at the present time that I am aware of.

Stinks about your service experience, was hoping for better. Has anyone received theirs yet?

rhys216

Jul 22, 2009
Yeah, stinks - it would be amazing to have a Tbolt Display on a Hackintosh :(

Yep it would. Do you know if the mini displayport cinema display would work. Ideally plugged into a 7870?

I asked Quo if the thunderbolt display would work on the motherboard, I guess I wasn't specific enough as I didn't mention OSX. (it works ok in windows on the gigabyte board)
Even so, if it didn't work in all operating systems (OSX) I would have expected more than a one word reply.

> From: Quo Computer
> To: rhys
> Sent: Sunday, 24 February 2013, 15:13
> Subject: Re: projectQ Z77MX-QUO-AOS
>
> Yes.
>
> On Feb 24, 2013, at 2:03 AM, rhys wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Can you let me know if this motherboard will be fully compatible with thunderbolt displays. These display only work on thunderbolt, so I'm interested to know if it will a) work b) work with full plug and play capability.
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > Rhys

rhys216

Jul 22, 2009
These guys still haven't replied to my emails. Looks like I'll have to do another paypal claim. Only this time I won't be sucked into ordering from them again. Oh well...