New Modem/Router combo MG7540, and a WiFi problem

dustin11

Sep 10, 2019
I recently bought a new Motorola MG7540 modem/router ("gateway") for my Xfinity 150 Mbps "Blast" internet service, but cannot get my wireless network to show up on any of my devices (laptop, phone, etc.). I followed the directions and connected the power cord, ethernet cable, and coax cable from the gateway to my wall. All connections secure. And then powered up. And then connected an ethernet cable from the gateway to my laptop, and activated service with Xfinity from there. Activation said I was good to go; however, I cannot see my wireless name pop up on my laptop or on my phone. And I know what the name is, as it's on the bottom of the gateway.

I called Xfinity to see if there was any issue on their end and there doesn't seem to be. They ran a few tests/reboots and said everything seems to be looking fine from their end.

I then called Motorola figuring it must be a problem with the gateway, but I stayed on the line for over an hour before I was cut-off, saying all their representatives were currently busy and I would have to call back later or email them.

I've done a little bit of troubleshooting myself, plugging and unplugging, holding down on reset for several seconds, as well as holding down on the other buttons in the back too (WLAN and WPS). No solution still.

On the front of the gateway, the top five lights are lit up solidly (power, upstream, downstream, online, and 2.4GHz WLAN), except the 2.4GHz light blinks every few seconds (not constantly, it's a little delayed). The bottom two, which are the 5GHz WLAN and the WPS lights, are not lit up at all.

On the back of the gateway, the light for the ethernet port that my laptop's connected to is lit up, but the light for the ethernet port that goes to my wall is not lit up.

Is this likely an issue with the gateway, some network settings on my devices, or the wiring within my apartment? (See below.)

Any help would be much appreciated; I am clueless on what the problem is.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Do you have solid wire Internet connection?

Try to connect the laptop (or other computer) with CAT 6 to the Router and see if it works.

Try to connect the Laptop through Wireless (use a friend system, or some free Wireless in the community).

If the Wire and the Wireless work under this attempts then it is a problem with the Wireless part of the Router.

Read carefully the instructions, log to the Router via wire and go over all the Wireless settings.

You can also use this portable freeware to find out if your laptop Wireless work or the Router transmits via Wireless.

:cool:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
First things first, plug a network cable from your laptop directly into the Gateway and see if you get an IP address and can use the internet.

Second, You may have to call Comcast to provision the new device, not sure if you had to, but you have may have to give them the hardware info from the new modem. The "automatic activation" process has NEVER worked for me.

Third, leave that mess of wiring alone for now. I'm not sure what that's supposed to be, but it's not for home networking.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Third, leave that mess of wiring alone for now. I'm not sure what that's supposed to be, but it's not for home networking.
The box clearly says on it, it's a 6-way Coax splitter / 4x 6-way telco 110 punchdown block.

Basically, yeah, neither one of those things on the black box has to do with home networking.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
The box clearly says on it, it's a 6-way Coax splitter / 4x 6-way telco 110 punchdown block.

Basically, yeah, neither one of those things on the black box has to do with home networking.

I can't see on the cable jacket what category those cables are, but maybe it's 5e at least. If so, can probably be used. I'm guessing op has some drops in the house he wants working. Totally looks like a phone guy touched it and those Ethernet looking cables are running phone drops.

Last edited: