new meters.....

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Anyone see these new meters in Boston? You can no longer leech of anyone who leaves the meter early and the thing will rarely go out of order:( On the plus side, you can pay by dollar bills and credit card.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
that's new to you? the ticket printing method? they're used in most CMAs here, toronto has a whole mess of them.

BKLounger

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
yeah they just put it in on newbury street in boston. It does cut down on the leeching off previous payers. They really are more efficient so it will make them more money. Let's see how they hold up to a new england winter though. I give them 2 hours into the first major storm.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Gibson486
Originally posted by: thirtythree
How does it prevent leeching?

While taking a step foward in technology, it also takes a step back.

Basically, for every 5 car lengths, there is a big meter. When you pay, it spits out a ticket that goes on your windshield and it displays when you have to leave.

Here is a link

http://cbs4boston.com/technology/local_story_285105351.html
Huh. That sounds like a pain.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: BKLounger
yeah they just put it in on newbury street in boston. It does cut down on the leeching off previous payers. They really are more efficient so it will make them more money. Let's see how they hold up to a new england winter though. I give them 2 hours into the first major storm.

How is using a previous person's time in any way shape or form a bad thing?

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000

I knew they were building, but I did not know they were already there. I was dropping off my rent when I saw there was no meter. Then I saw this pay here sign. The one thing I want to know is how do they avoid the credit card fees.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

they last fine.

BKLounger

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Originally posted by: SarcasticDwarf

How is using a previous person's time in any way shape or form a bad thing?

i'm in no way saying it's a bad thing. I think it's bad that we can't leech anymore. if i needed to do something quick usually when i found a spot there would be a couple minutes left and i'm in and out. Now with the new system you have to pay and get the sticker or else the ever vigilant meter maid will tag you.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Granted you guys get bigger, badder winter storms more frequently, but the Muni-meters in New York here have held up fine for years.

Brentx

Jun 15, 2005
We have these at the UWM campus here is Milwaukee. And they have held up for about 2 years. I like them. And let me tell you, WI winters are pretty bad.

We even have whole parking structures that rely on these, so that way they don't have to pay someone to take money when leaving the structure.

brikis98

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
great that they can finally take cash/CC, sux that you can't leech. haven't seen them in my area yet, but i'll keep my eyes open.