New Member: Sam from AMD

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Does a $350k lambo make sense? Probably not, not if you aren't a member of the target demographic.

It wouldn't make sense to me if you could get a $50k Mustang that was faster, handled better, and gets better gas mileage. You gotta love car analogies :)

So, you're saying that the FX-9590 is a status symbol for people with more wealth than common sense? I guess that I can buy into that logic.

But hey... back on topic. Where is Sam?

turboborked

Sep 5, 2013
My question..when can we expect retail availability of FM2+ motherboards? Will the FM2+ boards be available before Kaveri cpus?

pipm1

Aug 17, 2013
If there will be no FX CPUs, will Kaveri APUs be given L3 cache? If there' isn't a version of Steamroller with L3 cache I don't see how they will be a fast as any of the current Vishera CPUs with L3 cache.

I'd like to see a fast <100w Steamroller with L3 cache, maybe it'd finally entice me to upgrade from my Athlon X2 4200+. :awe:

Warsam71

Jul 29, 2013
Speaking of APUs, you have never experienced anything until you have had the pure joy of playing Wolfenstein on a 286 with a Hercules Graphics Adapter running under a CGA emulation.

Eat your heart out! :biggrin:

LOL - that's from the mid 1980s right? Before Wolfenstein went 3D...:biggrin:

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
We are already off topic, so I dont really want to go into which processor is better. I admit it does depend on workload. The only point I was trying to make is that you have to consider the initial cost as well as the cost of operation when making a price comparison. The 8350 may still be a cheaper alternative, but the point is all factors must be considered.

Quite right, its called TCO..

Shamrock

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
This might clear some things up.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Editorial/AMDs-Processor-Shift-Future-Really-Fusion/Future-Still-Fusion

The "official" word is that AMD will continue to "support" the AM3+ mb. Personally, viewing all that has gone on at AMD, I think they will continue producing Vishera 8 core chips for the AM3+ socket. I doubt they can tweak much more out of the chip after the FX 9590. As far as Steamroller? The core will find its way into the APU. I'm beginning to doubt that AMD will make a Steamroller for the AM3+ mb for sometime, if at all. The emphasis seems to be elsewhere.

I can't blame them.Look at my rigs below. The Intel 1155 only supported 2 generations of CPUs - Sandy and Ivy. The AM3+ supports the Bulldozer, Piledriver and much older chips. When the AM3+ socket was released I believe it only supported for certain the Bulldozer and one generation beyond. I hope I'm wrong and that it will support the Steamroller - if and when if ever it makes its way into the AM3+ socket.

In the meantime you have an Uber cpu FX9370! Have fun with it.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
i'd really like to see AMD leverage the apu stuff and try to gain a foothold in the android tablet market. If nvidia can do it, i'm sure AMD could as well.

Xpage

Jun 22, 2005
www.riseofkingdoms.com
Is this guy going to answer any questions at all?

Most of our questions are probably above his pay grade.

I would hope that the bets thing to come from this aside from another active and well informed member posting here, would be that any good ideas/feedback will be relayed to higher ups who may view our needs/ideas as sufficient to have somebody look into fixing/implementing them.

Nec_V20

May 7, 2013
LOL - that's from the mid 1980s right? Before Wolfenstein went 3D...:biggrin:

Correct, and a friend of mine at Bonn University also wrote a TSR (Terminate Stay Resident) program that turned the PC speaker into ad lib compatible.

Aye, them wert days, ya could go out tae dinner, go te't pictures, ave a few pints and still have change from a farthing.

But you try tellin the young uns of today that.

Geo-nerd

Sep 6, 2013
Hi there, you're correct I don't have the authority to share information about any undisclosed products and services. I hope you understand...:\

Then you could at least answer the question to that degree.

Utterly ignoring the Steamroller / AM3+ question (IMO, the Question of the Day) may be convenient for you, but doing so isn't going to sit well with the average enthusiast, who has been left to sit and spin in the breeze by AMD.

The typical enthusiast found on a forum like this is not going to be particularly impressed by any APU that lives on a 128bit DDR3 bus. Big cores and a dedicated GPU are still relevant, no matter what AMD's marketing division may want to believe. Why don't you ask your pointy haired bosses if it would be OK to hint at the future of the AM3+ platform? I suspect that a LOT of people around here would like to know if their current hardware investment has a future, or not. Personally, if I were to build a new system today, it would be my first-ever Intel. If, OTOH, I knew that an FX build had another CPU upgrade available, I'd opt for AMD. I bet that a lot of people feel that way. You can't expect people to buy your shit if there is no way to upgrade it down the road.

Last edited:

Geo-nerd

Sep 6, 2013
Tough crowd. I might get cold feet, too. It can't be easy being an AMD CPU evangelist right now...

Not really.
People just want straightforward answers to their legitimate questions.

Unfortunately, this dude seems incapable. He's popped up on several hardware forums and has been equally useless wherever he goes.

"AMD for teh win!" :\

FlanK3r

Sep 15, 2009
Hi Sam, big regards from maybe the biggest AMD fighter and enthusiast :) (Im registred at maybe 20-30 forums aroudn the world :D ). Are you registred at some others forums, example Overclock or Xtremesystems?

BUnit1701

May 1, 2013
From another thread, but before anyone else asks why hes not answering.

Last month Sam came to us (the mods) asking our permission to formally represent AMD on our forums. As per our standing policies we allowed it, on the condition that like all of our approved reps he limit his interactions to supporting users and answering their questions, and not acting as an advertiser or PR mouthpiece for his company, and letting us vet any threads he plans to create first before actually creating them. Sam has failed to follow these rules, so this thread is closed.

In behalf of the AT Mod crew,
Moderator jvroig

RiDE

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2004
He is not trying to sell CPUs. Unless you think community managers are salesmen.

No wonder so much hate here. Guys, no need to defend your purchase and attached perception of self-worth in this thread.

Thats the CPU forums for you. :\

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Not really.
People just want straightforward answers to their legitimate questions.

Unfortunately, this dude seems incapable. He's popped up on several hardware forums and has been equally useless wherever he goes.

"AMD for teh win!" :\

First, learn what NDA is, then you can ask your questions about current hardware (you will get no answer for unreleased products from AMD or Intel or NVIDIA etc).

A non-disclosure agreement (NDA), also known as a confidentiality agreement (CA), confidential disclosure agreement (CDA), proprietary information agreement (PIA), or secrecy agreement, is a legal contract between at least two parties that outlines confidential material, knowledge, or information that the parties wish to share with one another for certain purposes, but wish to restrict access to or by third parties. It's a contract through which the parties agree not to disclose information covered by the agreement. An NDA creates a confidential relationship between the parties to protect any type of confidential and proprietary information or trade secrets. As such, an NDA protects nonpublic business information.
NDAs are commonly signed when two companies, individuals, or other entities (such as partnerships, societies, etc.) are considering doing business and need to understand the processes used in each other's business for the purpose of evaluating the potential business relationship. NDAs can be "mutual", meaning both parties are restricted in their use of the materials provided, or they can restrict the use of material by a single party.
It is also possible for an employee to sign an NDA or NDA-like agreement with an employer. In fact, some employment agreements will include a clause restricting employees' use and dissemination of company-owned "confidential information."
Edit: For those of you who will like to know what an NDA looks like.

gmwh.jpg

gscc.jpg

Last edited:

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Sam, I have a question about the FX 9590 ( and perhaps the 9370), Though listed as OEMs they have been released by AMD. What cooler does AMD use for demos of its FX9590 builds?

Geo-nerd

Sep 6, 2013
First, learn what NDA is, then you can ask your questions about current hardware (you will get no answer for unreleased products from AMD or Intel or NVIDIA etc).

Edit: For those of you who will like to know what an NDA looks like.

NDA is irrelevant.

All people want is a simple reply, "Will Steamroller arrive on AM3+"

Releasing this sort of information is basic, competent, marketing, and has nothing to do with the release of specific technical details that would be covered by an NDA.

If this guy can't answer, he could at least 'ping' his boss repeatedly and relay any response he might get.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
NDA is irrelevant.

Releasing this sort of information is basic, competent, marketing, and has nothing to do with the release of specific technical details that would be covered by an NDA.

If this guy can't answer, he could at least 'ping' his boss repeatedly and relay any response he might get.

What part of unreleased products dont you understand ??? AMD haven't released any information about future AM3+ products or any roadmaps. He(Sam) cannot disclose any information on that subject until AMD release the information first.

Also, NDAs are not only for technical details. They can be about marketing, sales and more. If the information is not publicly released by AMD, no one can/will say anything no matter how hard you try ;)

And on that note I think we're done with this line of questions. It's clear AMD's reps aren't allowed to talk about unannounced products (and we wouldn't expect any differently), so rather than trying to rake this guy over the coals on a question he can't answer, let's just drop it. Nothing good can come from continuing this.
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:

BUnit1701

May 1, 2013
NDA is irrelevant.

You may not think it counts, but I would bet $100 that AMD's legal department feels differently.

Xpage

Jun 22, 2005
www.riseofkingdoms.com
Why would AMD release Steamroller on AM3+? They need every % they can get from a chip to catch up to intel's lastest offerings. Being as good as last generation is not enough, especially if it is at the cost of performance per watt since that hurts business sales.

They need to get a new socket that is optimized for the new design layouts, not to be constrained by the current AM3+ limits. Even if it nets them 3% more computing power overall it is worth it.

ninaholic37

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2012
edit: Nevermind, I realized my post was off-topic for CPU/Overclocking.

Last edited:

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Why would AMD release Steamroller on AM3+? They need every % they can get from a chip to catch up to intel's lastest offerings. Being as good as last generation is not enough, especially if it is at the cost of performance per watt since that hurts business sales.

They need to get a new socket that is optimized for the new design layouts, not to be constrained by the current AM3+ limits. Even if it nets them 3% more computing power overall it is worth it.

There was a poll started to see if such an offering would
be well received but for some reasons the thread was closed ,
quite pathetic since we are in an CPU enthusiast forum and that
opinions expressed by members could had an influence about
the opportunity of releasing what would be indeed a low volume
part but still quite an interesting option for many AM3+ users.

The same guy posted the poll elsewhere anyway...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?287221-AMD-Enthusiasts-NOW-is-your-chance

Kougar

Apr 25, 2002
Welcome to the minefield, erm, forums Sam!

Still a few years off at least, but I am very much looking forward to when those AMD APUs fully integrate the integer + FP units into a true hybrid or multi-purpose processor. Processor tech will never be the same after that!