Question New MB for development and some gaming

SuperdaveTX

Oct 30, 2007
It has been years since I posted, but it is time to upgrade soon.
I need to get Win11 at some point, and need the TPM for other development as well.
Looking to spend around 600 ish for CPU and MB.

I have used Asus MBs for years.. but I am not tied to them.. I have an Asus ROG Strix monitor.
I currently have an intel core i5 from 2014ish... and plan to get a i5-12600KF should be a bit faster than what I have now.
I am hard wired in my network and have 1 gig internet.

So, motherboards.. From what I read, I am thinking i should stay away from the asus prime. Seems lots of DOAs?

So wondering about an Asus TUF?
and then also gigabyte z690 aorus pro.
but not tied to these... wondering what else I should look at.

Appreciate your thoughts.
SuperDave

Jul 27, 2020
Unless you really want something fancy for overclocking/tuning and extra M2 slots, just go with a low end one. My experience with Asus H610M and i5-12400 was great, given the price. That H610M has a CSM model that is more durable with dust and humidity protection layer on the PCB. My friend who got the non-CSM version finished Shadow of Tomb Raider on it and he has so far not reported any instability or weird quirky behavior.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Since you are planning on getting a K CPU, I would get a motherboard that supports OC. Also, are you looking for DDR4 or DDR5 boards? Both are an option with Alder Lake.