NEW: List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 45 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
<> a worthy sci-fi show and to see what they do with season 2.<>
unfortunately i have already read the wikipedia page so i spoiled myself for the next season.

i watched the Samurai trilogy, consisting of Samurai I: Myamoto Musashi, Samurai II: Duel at Ichijoji Temple, and III: Duel at Ganryu Island. Three 1954 - 1956 films that together are a summary of the life of historical badass Myamoto Musashi, the greatest swordsman who ever lived, pulled from a then-popular book.

Directed by Hiroshi Inagaki, and starring Toshiro Mifune as Musashi.

Film 1 is the early beginnings of a man born Shinmen Takezo (the Japanese have a weird habit of completely changing their name to mark important changes in their lives); he is a farmer who dreams of becoming famous in battle. His sidekick and enabler Matahachi also dreams the same but while Takezo is fierce, almost wild, Matahachi is fearful and incompetent.
They join forces with the Toyotomi at the battle of Sekigahara, and their only experience of the battle is to dig ditches in the pouring rain, while all around them the Toyotomi are being slaughtered. In a fit of rage Takezo arms himself as best as he can and goes rogue, willing to die for just a shot at violence, at a life more than digging the fields.

Matahachi and Takezo are now in places where nobody knows them, armed, and people around them start thinking of them as bandits. The more they treat them like bandits, the more bandits they become. Takezo becomes more and more furious, and when they are finally recaptured - essentially by their own village, who thinks they have lost their minds - Matahachi is happy to be spared back into a normal life, while Takezo refuses any help and seems almost possessed.

A priest is enlisted, Takuhan Soho, who captures Takezo with less-than-honorable means, and seeks to tame his rebellious spirit. After an escape Takezo is finally recaptured again and locked in a cell with nothing but books on the Way of the Samurai, where Soho plans to break his spirit and mold him into a true Samurai.

Along the way, Takezo has lost his friendship with Matahachi, the connection to his family, and the love for his girlfriend. After years of meditation, study and practice, Takezo emerges from captivity and declares himself changed, taking the name Myamoto Musashi. His first instinct is to go back to his girl, but the Buddhist priest Soho urges him to abandon all attachments, and Musashi ventures forth on a pilgrimage to find himself.

Film 2 is Musashi having fought many duels during his years as a Ronin. He has become strong, but still fights his duels with rage and fear, more experienced but no better than he was as Takezo. Still far from enlightenment or mastery of the blade, he meets again with Soho, who scolds him for still being an animal, a brute. The film shows Musashi fighting a massive battle against a large number of goons, and he does win, but realizes that Soho was right, you can't become a master swordsman unless you first dominate your spirit.
A Frienemy is introduced, Sasaki Kojiro, a "true Samurai".

Film 3 has Musashi looking for enlightenment; he toils the earth, carves images of the Buddha, and no longer desires to kill nameless goons, but only wants to perfect his swordsmanship. He fights a bunch of bandits to defend a village, but differently from Film 2, here he massacres them, having now become a true Sword Saint.
Kojiro and Musashi both want to kill each other for the same reason - to see who is more stronk. (i guess that's what friends did in medieval japan)
After a whole bunch of filler, they finally meet at Ganryu island where Musashi bonks Kojiro on the 'ed with a wooden pole and he' ded.

As pointed out also by Wikipedia, the lack of fountains of blood is somewhat disappointing. But overall the trilogy isn't really worth watching; the first film is the one that has the most content, it sets up an interesting character in Takezo, this wild spirit that is too violent, too enraged with the unfairness of life to even do what's best for himself. The wise but cruel Soho dominates him, breaks his spirit and Takezo emerges from the ashes as Musashi, a man who has learned he must abandon much of the good of life for the privilege of becoming a sword saint.
Unfortunately films 2 & 3 don't have anywhere as much content, they are long and slow and there is little change in character throughout. Kojiro is a decent enemy, not much in fighting, but in character; rather then being "evil", he is cruel. He doesn't suffer having to abandon his attachment to life, he rejoices in it, i.e. he treats people around him like shit. After Kojiro has planned to kill Musashi, there would have been more duels; after Musashi plans to kill Kojiro, he knows there will be nore more duels. One seeks more blood, the other seeks to put the sword down.

If i sound like i'm praising the film, i'm not. The real-life character of Musashi is interesting, and i would LOVE a good film re-telling this same story, but possibly NOT F* 6 hours long. Mifune is good as always, but his Musashi is nowhere near Kikuchiyo (7 Samurai) in depth, something that i blame on the bland direction of Inagaki.

Would not recommend if not for historical reasons.

Film 1: 6/10
Film 2 & 3: 5/10

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Just curious. Do any of these feature mammaries? Asking for historical reasons :p
negative. no mammaries. If you're into that sort of thing ( .. i mean .. who isn't ..) then i recommend the excellent Up! by Russ Meyer. Or the comedy Amazon Women On The Moon, while being relatively chaste, has a very, very special scene, almost as memorable as the shower scene in Starship Troopers.

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
read a couple of good reviews for the Netflix series Ripley, and it is also in black & white. may have to fire it up.

Jul 27, 2020
My Dune 2 mini-review 5.5/10

I will not bother with using the names of the characters because frankly, I don't care remembering them or looking them up so you will just have to figure out who I'm referring to.

The boy is shown to be nothing special. I mean, he isn't shown doing anything too extraordinary. He says he's trained extensively etc. and we are just supposed to take his word for it. Like the worm riding scene. We don't see him getting trained to ride a worm but his mentor has trained him "well". But at the same time, the mentor is not confident that he can handle anything so he exclaims "not that big!" when the mega worm is summoned by the boy. We don't get to see what the worm looks like. We just have to make do with the massive amounts of sand being displaced to get an idea of how big the worm is. Honestly, the difficulty of riding the worm is not conveyed properly by this scene. Just place two hooks and you are done. And we are supposed to be impressed with this boy's skill in doing so???

I wasn't taking notes throughout the movie so forgive me if I don't remember the other things that nagged me about it (the movie is already a blur in my mind. How frickin' forgettable!). Regarding the final battle, it was a joke. The defenders seemed to far outnumber the invaders. Everything went without a hitch. It was like a massacre. The CQC scene between the two boys seemed promising if it had been a bit longer and didn't go with the stupid oft-repeated trope of the protagonist almost getting defeated before turning the tables on the antagonist in the last moment. I mean, come on. I would've liked to see real fighting supremacy from the kid prophesized as the One. Instead, he barely survived. And this idiot who had trouble with one punk is gonna take on the other Houses and start the Holy War? Yeah, I'm sooooo looking forward to that joke.

Jul 27, 2020
Sugar (series from Apple)

Colin Farrell once again playing the broken good guy (last saw him doing this in True Detective). He seems to do these characters pretty well. The mystery/detective work is pretty nice. Camera work and direction is good too.

Two episodes so far and it's a 7/10 from me.

Jul 27, 2020
If you want SS boobage recommend The Voyeurs. On Prime. It’s a decent thriller mystery with DDs
Thank you!

It really was decent and towards the end, there was no escaping exclaiming "how can a petite girl like that be so naturally BIG!". I mean, HOLY COW! Imagine the milk production potential of those prime udders! Can I have some of that ice cream please? Thank you! *SLURRRRRPPPPPP*

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Thank you!

It really was decent and towards the end, there was no escaping exclaiming "how can a petite girl like that be so naturally BIG!". I mean, HOLY COW! Imagine the milk production potential of those prime udders! Can I have some of that ice cream please? Thank you! *SLURRRRRPPPPPP*
dude you NOW need to go watch Up! by Russ Meyer. I mean like NAU nau. Right now.

• Haha

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Episode 8 of Shogun was great, really setting up the road psychologically to what has to be the final explosive battle. Now it's easy understand why the last episode ended how it ended, but not how they did it, that's still an issue - which is what the other dude said earlier.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
This guy's filmography - was easy to think of him as just a hearthrob role guy based on the reception to his looks, but man, this is just an impressive collection of movies: Any want to make a top 5 of these?

1evtbivcoqtc1 [MConverter.eu] (Large).gif

Reactions: DigDog

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
This guy's filmography - was easy to think of him as just a hearthrob role guy based on the reception to his looks, but man, this is just an impressive collection of movies: Any want to make a top 5 of these?
not an easy question to answer.

Some of these films are just ok, but they have a great Brad Pitt role, for example: Burn After Reading. I loved the stupid meathead Pitt plays here, almost everyone in this film is cast against character, but the film itself is meh. The Big Short on the other hand will be my top rated film of this list, but his character - although he plays it well - is not great.
I think Brad as Achilles is absolutely fantastic, but the film itself is pretty bad, it's literally only got the Brad Pitt fight scenes, and the "Diane Kruger is so hot" scenes.

If we take into consideration the combination of How Good Is the Film, How Good Is The Character, and How Good Does Brad Play It, i would say

1. Moneyball
2. Fight Club
3. 12 Monkeys
4. Se7en
5. Bullet Train

Last edited:
Reactions: GodisanAtheist

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i watched

Not Of This Earth (1957) - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050778/reference/

because i meant to watch

Not Of This Earth (1988) - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095756/reference/

instead; after i discovered the B&W of the first scene wasn't just a cheeky introduction, but the whole film, i thought what the heck' and watched both. One is a beat-by-beat clone of the other.

A mysterious man in sunglasses shows up at a doctor's office and demands a blood transfusion; he is obviously a SPACE VAMPIRE !
The protagonist of both is the doctor's nurse. The plot is of a race of aliens who have destroyed their own world through nuclear war, and now the radiation is disintegrating their blood. One of them comes to Earth to try to find a cure, and does not differentiate between getting a transfusion or just straight up murdering people for blood.

In the 1957 version, the nurse is the delicious and spunky Beverly Garland
images

while in the 1988 version the nurse is the generously nude and barely 18 Traci Lords.
MV5BZmI0NDEwM2ItYTg3My00YTI2LThmZDUtZjIzZjI4Yjc0ODg5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODc1NDIxNzM@._V1_UY200_CR77,0,200,200_AL_.jpg

Unfortunately the acting and direction of the 1988 version is terrible. The 1957 has the charm of the Twilight Zone series, and knowing their limitations, they stick to solid acting and a good beat in the pacing. It's .. too old of a film to impress me in any way, because i've seen a shitload of B&W films, but for the time it would have been a discreet 7/10. Today 5/10.
The Lords version has lots of titties and in 1988 that's probably what everyone wanted (i would put myself into the same bunch), so that would have been a 7/10 too, but today 5/10. Not a lower score because Traci is still a very interesting person so it might be cute to watch to watch this film for historical reasons.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
I watched Lisa Frankenstein. 7.8/10 - would watch again.

After a worrisomely dull 15 minutes or so I really enjoyed the rest of the movie. It was fun, good amount of cheese. I felt it could have used another 10-15 mins for Lisa's character development.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I watched Lisa Frankenstein. 7.8/10 - would watch again.

After a worrisomely dull 15 minutes or so I really enjoyed the rest of the movie. It was fun, good amount of cheese. I felt it could have used another 10-15 mins for Lisa's character development.
Kathryn Newton really really loves taking nude selfies. So looks to me like you're just throwing gas on the fire.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
oh by the way, i watched (because who needs sleep) Shogun (1980) - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080274/reference/

Yeah, the 1980 version.

It's impressive how identical some scenes are. I can see now why people were raving when this show was playing, although i would have around 6 years old and hadn't caught yellow fever yet. But ..
I mean, it's early early 1980s stuff. We've seen everything this show has, done better by others that came after. Also, the main plot is the same, but many subplots are left out, or are much shallower. And there is no big-ass battle, but just a kind-of voiceover ending "and then John Blackthorne did this" and i SURE HOPE that Shogun 2024 doesn't pull the same fucking stunt - there's only 2 episodes left, we want war. WE WANT WAR, DO YOU HEAR ME ??!?

1980's version: 6.5/10

• Haha

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I've got quite a collection of stuff to watch piling up in front of me.

Fallout (purely out of morbid curiosity)
Shogun
Invincible S2
Dune pt2

More stuff...