New life for unions?

imported_Shivetya

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2005
Well get ready, the Democrats are going to strip away your choice of having or not having a union at the workplace? How? Simple, remove the secret ballot voting that is currently required to get a union into the workplace.

How will this help unions? Well what is wanted is for shops to become union simply if they collect a majority from union authorization cards. Well we all know people who will sign something just to make others go away, let alone sign something if they feel even the slight bit threatened; and some will be. The secret ballot to finalize a unions move into the workplace is what protects the little guy.

See, when its a secret ballot the goons out there can't scare you into siding with them. You can always claim you voted "right" while voting your true feelings. Well this doesn't sit well with unions because they lose too many of these votes.

So how to fix it? Simple, campaign donation pay back. Get the law changed. Simple as pie.

Now I worked under a union and have friends in UAW. I never ever want to be part of one either. All I saw was stagnation. Good work wasn't rewarded because the rules for promotion were set in stone. This usually meant seniority ruled. It didn't matter I had buffoons above me, they would always be there because the rules protected them.

Secret ballots are good enough for our elections and they are needed for a reason, to prevent intimidation of the voter. What right does Congress and unions have to deprive me and others of our right.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/LindaChavez/2007/02/09/union_free_choice

Arcex

Mar 23, 2005
Eh, I have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand unions help to protect the little guy from... well, Republicans.

On the other hand, some unionized people tend to use unions as an excuse not to work as hard, and get paid more than they deserve for it.

I guess I'm gonna have to wait and see what affect this has but my instinct tells me this is bad, but what do I know?

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Arcex
Eh, I have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand unions help to protect the little guy from... well, Republicans.
On the other hand, some unionized people tend to use unions as an excuse not to work as hard, and get paid more than they deserve for it.

I guess I'm gonna have to wait and see what affect this has but my instinct tells me this is bad, but what do I know?

sterotype much?

Arcex

Mar 23, 2005
Yeah, but like I've said in other posts, I like going for the easy laugh.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
No surprise really, the democratic party gets a lot of funding from unions, govt unions who want to get back into the private sector one way or another.

If this fails the democrats will continue to expand govt and give more power to the unions as more people work for the govt.

Arcex

Mar 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87
No surprise really, the democratic party is largly funded by unions, govt unions who want to get back into the private sector one way or another.

If this fails the democrats will continue to expand govt and give more power to the unions as more people work for the govt.

While I of course don't like it when unions wield too much political power in a government it's slightly less worse than when businesses and corporations wield too much power. At least the union is helping someone, whereas most businesses and corporations only look after the highest levels of their organizations.

It's definitely a "damned if you do and damned if you don't" situation though.

And oh yeah, everyone knows Republicans eat babies and feast on the blood of the living. Or was that vampires? Damn you Francis Ford Coppola, you've skewed my sense of perception!

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Hehe, the same fools that are for Bush and his war are against unions. Nothing like self hate that stabs you in your own ass. It's amazing that the trained monkeys think they think. Yup, thinks as in programmed.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Hehe, the same fools that are for Bush and his war are against unions.

Nothing like self hate that stabs you in your own ass. It's amazing that the trained monkeys think they think. Yup, thinks as in programmed.

Looks like the percentage is no longer 52% of America though so there is hope.

imported_Shivetya

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2005
Hehe, the same fools that are for Bush and his war are against unions. Nothing like self hate that stabs you in your own ass. It's amazing that the trained monkeys think they think. Yup, thinks as in programmed.

I am anti-Union because of experience.

Of course you cannot come up with an intelligent rebuttal to the article or what I posted so you lash out with your vile, typical of the far left and far right, really there is no difference between the two sides.

What a union did for me is let me have 38.5 hours of pay for 40 hours of work.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm a strong supporter of unions and like most of the changes proposed.

However, I don't support doing away with the secret ballot for finalization.

Union intimidation isn't any better than company intimidation, and I know from personal experience that there is plenty of coercion that goes on in the card signing process, from both the company and the union.

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
I agree with the old Libertarian philosophy on unions. Abolish the national labor relations board...and abolish all Right-to-work laws. Let workers and employers freely negotiate any agreement they want without any government interference.

Unfortunately it appears that corporations have heavily influenced the Libertarian party and that appears to no longer be their philosophy regarding unions.

This free choice act if this became law it will not stop the demise of unions. That will only happen if the unfair right-to-work laws are abolished nationwide.

Regardless of whether you favor unions or not (a different argument)...RTW laws are unfair in that they force unions to represent all workers even if they are not dues paying members. There are unionized facilities in RTW states that have ZERO dues paying members that effectively make the union worthless.

Government should stay out of the picture. The agreements (if any) should be between the workers and the employer.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
There is no question that unions served a very important purpose as America evolved throughout the industrial age.

However, like any political entity, unions are now part of the bureaucracy that continues to erode America's competitive advantage in numerous industries.

Take the auto industry, and the Toyota Production System for instance. Toyota, and other Japanese auto companies, cross-train their shop floor workers to handle numerous tasks...with any worker empowered to stop the line for quality or safety issues...the line between manager and worker is blurry at best, creating an environment where managent quickly gains visibility of problems that exist at the shop floor.

American unions do not like cross-training or empowered workers, because seniority and unique skill identifier codes no longer provide job security...where a Japanese assembly line may have two or three unique job identifiers, an similar American assembly line could have 100...similarly, American companies cannot get past the management/worker hostile environment paradigm, which is one of the reasons why American companies continually fail to successfully implement the Japanese model.

What unions fail to realize is that their often short sighted objectives ultimately hurt the very workers they seek to protect. Similarly, it is quite reasonable to conclude that unions sometimes act to protect their own power base, and in many instances, behave no different than upper management.

I think unions can still serve an important role, but they need to embrace innovation and new dynamic models for worker skills and competitve advantage.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Shivetya

I am anti-Union because of experience.

Of course you cannot come up with an intelligent rebuttal to the article or what I posted so you lash out with your vile, typical of the far left and far right, really there is no difference between the two sides.

What a union did for me is let me have 38.5 hours of pay for 40 hours of work.

Thanks for proving my point.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
There is no question that unions served a very important purpose as America evolved throughout the industrial age.

However, like any political entity, unions are now part of the bureaucracy that continues to erode America's competitive advantage in numerous industries.

Take the auto industry, and the Toyota Production System for instance. Toyota, and other Japanese auto companies, cross-train their shop floor workers to handle numerous tasks...with any worker empowered to stop the line for quality or safety issues...the line between manager and worker is blurry at best, creating an environment where managent quickly gains visibility of problems that exist at the shop floor.

American unions do not like cross-training or empowered workers, because seniority and unique skill identifier codes no longer provide job security...where a Japanese assembly line may have two or three unique job identifiers, an similar American assembly line could have 100...similarly, American companies cannot get past the management/worker hostile environment paradigm, which is one of the reasons why American companies continually fail to successfully implement the Japanese model.

What unions fail to realize is that their often short sighted objectives ultimately hurt the very workers they seek to protect. Similarly, it is quite reasonable to conclude that unions sometimes act to protect their own power base, and in many instances, behave no different than upper management.

I think unions can still serve an important role, but they need to embrace innovation and new dynamic models for worker skills and competitve advantage.

Hehe, Just imagine all the money we could save if we didn't vaccinate children. We could compete better then with the rest of the world. Those swine just let nature take it's toll and don't spend a dime.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Hehe, Just imagine all the money we could save if we didn't vaccinate children. We could compete better then with the rest of the world. Those swine just let nature take it's toll and don't spend a dime.
Huh???

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
Huh???

Huh is right. I failed, first time round, to adequately digest your rather thoughtful post.