New leaked AMD Drivers Nov 18th. BF3 improvements.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
no skyrim? sheesh...BF3 has like 10 different fixes since the original performance driver lol.

Feb 19, 2009
Saw the [H] skyrim review? Seems SLI scales horrible, hard to believe only 20% scaling. Guess the game is just unoptimized.

They could patch it up to support more than 2 threads, since its hammering CPUs hard.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
So their solution is to disable crossfire? You can enable the fallout 3 profile and force AFR in radeon pro and get crossfire scaling. So...um, what is their issue getting it to work again? It works, if you cheat it into thinking you're running another game so why can't they just add it in that way so we don't need to do a workaround? Nvidia might only have 20% scaling but they had that 2 days prior to release lol.

Ahh well, I finished the main quest and have about 50 hours in...got my Daedric armor and weapons. Finished thief guild, dark brotherhood, mage college and numerous random quests. I'll go back to it later on and do the companions and some other random quests.

It is good with a single card (all I have anyway). I enjoyed it and still enjoy wandering around the world and exploring dungeons, looking for more words of power etc. I just have other games waiting to be played. I haven't opened Assassin's Creed Revelations yet, have a sealed copy of Zelda Skyward Sword Collectors Edition staring me in the face, and tomorrow Batman will be installed on my HDD. Lots to do, Skyrim has to be put aside for a while.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
New stuff vs 11.11 WHQL:

CAP:
Looks the same as 11.11 CAP2 with minor differences(looks like a recompile to me), no profiles added, worth a try anyway.

DX9
Arcania Addon.exe
GlobalOps.exe
Driver.exe
nba2k12.exe
BatmanAC.exe
SaintsRowTheThird.exe

DX11
SR3_pc_release_packfiles_dx11.exe
SaintsRowTheThird_DX11.exe
MultiThreadedRendering11.exe

About friggin time they added MT rendering.

Also looks like you can make profiles on a per game basis. Going to try these and chime in later.

(sic)Klown12

Nov 27, 2010
Multi-threaded rendering isn't enabled yet, there's just a CAP profile for the multithreaded test from Microsoft's SDK. From hints originating from AMD's driver team representative on Twitter, it sould be here in the near future.

When it get's enabled, use DirectX Caps Viewer to verify. Here's a screenshot of the 11.11a, and the leaked 12.1 shows the same thing. The highlighted part is what you should focus on.

When that gets switched to "Yes", then AMD has done their job.

Last edited:

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
Multi-threaded rendering isn't enabled yet, there's just a CAP profile for the multithreaded test from Microsoft's SDK. From hints originating from AMD's driver team representative on Twitter, it sould be here in the near future.

When it get's enabled, use DirectX Caps Viewer to verify. Here's a screenshot of the 11.11a, and the leaked 12.1 shows the same thing. The highlighted part is what you should focus on.

When that gets switched to "Yes", then AMD has done their job.

Could you explain what that would do as far as performance?

(sic)Klown12

Nov 27, 2010
http://www.realtimerendering.com/blog/direct3d-11-details-part-iv-multithreaded-rendering/
Real Time Rendering said:
Direct3D 10 only allows graphics commands to be issued from a single thread (there is a multithreaded mode, but Microsoft explicitly warns against using it due to its poor performance). In an API such as Direct3D, issuing graphics commands involves a fair amount of CPU overhead. Given the trend towards increasing the number of cores on a processor rather than the performance of a single core, it is desirable to efficiently spread this work among multiple threads.

Direct3D 11 adds the ability to create display lists from multiple threads and execute them from the main rendering thread. In addition, the Device (which creates resources) has been separated from the Context (which issues graphics commands). This enables creating resources asynchronously. Deferred Contexts are used to create display lists and the Immediate Context issues graphics commands to the GPU, including the execution of display lists created on Deferred Contexts.

Unlike the other features in Direct3D 11, multithreaded rendering is not a hardware feature at all. With the appropriate drivers, D3D10 (perhaps even D3D9) hardware will be able to perform multithreaded rendering efficiently (some level of multithreaded performance will be available even without new drivers, but it was unclear what the limitations would be in this case).

An overview of what it does. But it will only show any improvement in games that are specifically coded for it, which at the moment is only Battlefield 3 and Civ 5. Civ 5 showed nice improvement for Nvidia when they enabled it, but not all games will show that level depending on how the renderer is written.

Last edited:

(sic)Klown12

Nov 27, 2010
I didn't see any gains in Skyrim, though I have heavily edited my config file. I'm sure there are some situations that the claimed performance increase is real, but not in my case. I can say that this driver does not run slower in any games I've tested compared to the 11.11WHQL, so it's a good release in that regard.

hawtdawg

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2005
any basis to the claims of "2%-7% improvement in single card" for Skyrim?

i'm running the forced oblivion radeonpro profile for my 4870m's.

I loaded my current quicksave with fraps open, was near the stable at whiterun with the camera pointed slightly upwards. With the WHQL 11.11 drivers i was getting 46 fps immediately after loading. With the 11.11a drivers, i am now getting 54 fps immediately after loading. Hard to judge the rest of the game, but if I were to say, i'd say that i'm getting smoother framerates outside of towns for sure.

my settings are at 1080p with everything on ultra, with no AA and shadows on High.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Could you explain what that would do as far as performance?

I think the only game you'd see a gain in would be Civ 5. Should be a very large gain as well considering what was seen when nvidia enabled it in their drivers.