Question New laptop what bloatware can I delete from Windlws 10?

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
I needed an laptop with Windows 10 to run some office software so I used that as an excuse to get a gaming machine. I didn't go overboard and got an "old" Lenovo Legion 5 with a Ryzen 4600H with16GB and a 1650Ti with 4GB. So far my impression of Windows 10 is that is basically malware. And MS continues to dumb down their OS. I noticed they took Windows Update out of Control panel so you have to dig to disable it. I have never gotten so many pop up windows interrupting me while I work. I deleted some of it like all the Xbox crap. I don't own nor will I ever own an Xbox. I deleted some of the Lenovo bloatware. Any other suggestions? Anything that forces me to sign in to some account I have no interest in.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
LMAO.... Welcome to WaPple. W11 is even more dumbed down and looks even more like crApple but, it is better than dealing with the constant nagging of 10.

WUpdate and all of the other stuff can be disabled in gpedit.msc. Personally I boot into a Linux USB and then delete a few folders from the nagging programs / features as disabling them doesn't really work. I kill off most of the security folders because they're just anoying and trigger if you look the wrong way and delete stuff you don't want deleted. Most of this pushed me to use my network storage as the default location for things instead of the local drive since I tend to zap everything periodically and reinstall Windows to clean out the clutter.

If you don't need to access the dependent apps often you might consider putting Linux on as the OS and then use "virtual box" to run windows from within Linux. As to the local vs MS account..

There are plenty of hacks to use to get away from the MS monitoring and collection of data. First thing to consider is blocking the DNS for all MS domains and that puts an end to a lot of the prompts.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
Thanks for the information. I can't screw around with it too much because I need it for work. I can't afford to have it down for even a day. I already deleted MS one drive btw and set up a dumby user account, email being none@none.com. I'm thinking most of the preinstalled software is just an excuse to access your system and collect data.

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
Yup. It's referred to as telemetry.

Give it a nice name and it's just fine right. Looks like you can still get rid of most of that with a little know how. I predicted this years ago. It's funny how many people don't upgrade from Windows 7 still. I don't want anything to do with things like Steam. There is plenty of games I can play without being on a leash. And don't get me started abut CrApple. How stupid are people. You are paying top dollar to run an OS that's just a knock off copy of Linux.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I aim for used or barebones systems at this point or build on the desktop side to avoid the OS tax. My current laptop was a barebone NEW for $1300 with a 12700H/3060 and all I had to do is add ram/drives / upgrade the wifi and my personal preference a 4K120 panel. All in it's still under $2K for a comparably spec'd machine it would easily be over $3K or closer to $4K. My server is running a 12700K and all in it was $1500 from the ground up and just ported over some stuff like my Raid / NAS drives from the prior system. The server runs Linux because it's more stable for 24/7 operation and more secure than Windows will ever be. Since it's also my router / firewall / AP / DVR / Media / NAS it's a bit of a priority to have something that's stable and reliable.

MAC's have decent enough HW but, the pricing is insane if you're an idiot and can't put together your own. I've own a couple of small devices like phone / ipod players but, never again since they're captive to use their crappy software to manipulate files. I've been crapple free for over a decade and will stay that way until the end of time.

It's sad when you look at their networking side and they're still using AC and mPCI adapters in their machines. You can hack together an AX WIFI card though but, why add the expense of an adapter to make it work . Apple is a very captive audience though. Linux with a pretty GUI is about it. Back in the days of doing tech support it was a recommendation to either get a Mac or find a kid to fix their issue. Considering the Apple market share that still lives up to the recommendation. Plenty of idiots willing to pay for "ease" rather than learning just a smidge of how to do something w/o a company doing it for them.