New laptop processor compaired to old

futura65

Apr 14, 2010
Hey there, wondering about a new laptop and want to get the intel i7-720qm . My old laptop has a core duo T2350 . How will this new processor compair to the old one?

d4a2n0k

May 6, 2002
The i7 will smoke that core duo in every situation. Not much more to say than that.

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
Hey futura,

I just bought a laptop with the i7 720qm (a lenovo with a "5730" graphics card, ie, a 5650) and it absolutely destroys my old core2due 2.0 ghz-based laptop at pretty much everything.

edit: don't be too hasty about buying a laptop........every now and then there is an amazing deal out. like this machine for 800, hehe ;)

Last edited:

jihe

Nov 6, 2009
Hey futura,

I just bought a laptop with the i7 720qm (a lenovo with a "5730" graphics card, ie, a 5650) and it absolutely destroys my old core2due 2.0 ghz-based laptop at pretty much everything.

edit: don't be too hasty about buying a laptop........every now and then there is an amazing deal out. like this machine for 800, hehe ;)

But how is heat/battery life? For a laptop I value these a lot more than raw power. Processors these days are more than sufficient to do everything I wanted ayway.

mokylim

Jul 5, 2007
im also in the process of buying a laptop but im stuck on choosing between the higher clocked i7 620 and the i7 720...any know which is better for gaming.and why?tnx

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
wow, you are looking a curb stomp difference in CPU power.

That being said, don't neglect other aspects of the system... A nice SSD and plenty of ram would do wonders for performance.

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
But how is heat/battery life? For a laptop I value these a lot more than raw power. Processors these days are more than sufficient to do everything I wanted ayway.

Admittedly this is probably one of the downsides to the 720qm....lack of switchable graphics = battery life is pretty crappy....basically a couple hours tops. Some of the other models with i5 processors had switchable graphics.....I'm sure this varies by design and manufacturer, though. Anyway, I keep it plugged in most of the time or bring my power cable with me if I move it around. I keep my old laptop at work so I can keep the good one at home for gaming ;). Long story short, I'm basically using this as a desktop replacement.

Realistically though, with a bigger battery the battery life probably wouldn't be too bad. The CPU clocks down very low when it isn't being stressed, so for surfing the net etc it isn't sucking TO much battery life......but keeping the '5730' on all the time has its downsides.

edit: mokylim: For anything multithreaded, or for any heavy multitasking, the 720qm will be far better as it has 4 real cores + HT, the 620m only has 2 + HT (Im sorta surprised they even sell this under the i7 name, but I digress.) For single threaded applications the 620 might be slightly faster but the difference between 2 cores and 4 cores is probably bigger than the difference between 3.33ghz and 2.8 ghz (those being the max turbo O/C available to the 620m and 720qm respectively). It really depends on what you want to do with it.

edit 2: the 620m also has integrated intel HD graphics, the 720qm does not......you might want to consider this in terms of battery life.

Last edited:

mokylim

Jul 5, 2007
@importes speech - ty u enlightened some of the questions thats been looping inside my head. so i guess i will grab the 720Q. better more than less. tnx again..

futura65

Apr 14, 2010
Hey! thanks for all the great replies...Yeah, I'm not overlooking the other parts of this machine...don't worry. I know Video card is also a major player...if not more so with the 3D and graphics stuff I do. I'm excited to fire that puppy up when it arrives and already bought a cooling pad for it to sit on. I figure this baby will also make a mean grill cheese...just fold down the screen like a George Foreman and hit Render!!! ;)