New Jumbo Aircraft Manufacturer

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Link

China is attemtping to start their own production of mid-size Jumbos >150 seats

They realize that it will take 2-3generations, this is not technology/process that they can steal/buy off the shelf.

Quality control will be a big issue - they may have only an internal market if they start cutting corners.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Well, hopefully their aircraft will be made with a bit better quality control than their SUV's.

Then again, if a plane crashes, they'd only lose ~300 people out of the billion+ they have now, so it really wouldn't make much of a dent, would it?? :roll:

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
They should just buy a big stake in Airbus or Boeing, but then I don't think govt. regulations will allow it.

nergee

Jan 25, 2000
The company I work for is going to supply the fuel system and landing gear hydraulic
system, so I know at least that part of the plane will be solid....until the parts are
copied anyway.......

tvarad

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2001
The extensive aerospace eco-system in the U.S., Soviet Union and Europe grew it's deep roots during the two world wars, especially WWII. China cannot clone that setup overnight (in relative terms). Russia isn't even trying even though it has a better shot at building a world-class large passenger airliner. And look at how both Airbus and Boeing are struggling to bring their newest aircraft to market despite their expertise.

Richard Aboulafia writes a very interesting blog on the quirky nature of aircraft manufacturing industry. It makes for a good read on the unique problems it faces.

Kerouactivist

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2001
After Boeing/MD opened up those plants in china I thought it was just a matter of time....can't wait to see the ripped off Boeing/MD designs...just wait it's going to happen...

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
The balon, you know, that heavy implement thingy from Clue. You must be thinking he meant something else.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: bthorny
After Boeing/MD opened up those plants in china I thought it was just a matter of time....can't wait to see the ripped off Boeing/MD designs...just wait it's going to happen...

Boeing only contracts the Chinese to make certain components/sections. They recently lost some bids to Airbus because they refused to move assembly and other functions to China (Airbus agreed).