New Job position. need salary advice

LokiX

Nov 26, 2003
Hey guys. I am currently a help desk technician for a very large discount retailer. I support all corporate employees. Not point of sales support. I was a desktop/laptop technician for a computer company before this job. That is where my exp is. I have been here for 6 months and i have the opportunity to get on what we call, the NT Production team as an NT Application Admin. The job description is the same as a System Administrator per salary.com. I have no experience in this job but due to the drive, dedication and determination i have shown i am being offered the position. I should have an offer letter in about a week or so. I am going from hourly to salary. The market value in Charlotte for this position again according to Salary.com is low side of $50k to the higher % in Charlotte getting $67k. I am mostly getting this job on merit and my couple of year?s exp as a desktop tech. I am only MCP and I am a part time student going for Network Admin degree and I am studying for my MCSE in Server 2003. I know the company is going to low ball me because of my lack of exp and the fact that my current rate blows. My question is what would you guys/girls think a reasonable starting pay would be? I was thinking around $36k at least.

edit: We are a Fortune 500 company btw.

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
Just take what they give you and gain the experience. There's no room for negotiation here.

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
And learn that when referring to yourself, "I" is always capitalized.

LokiX

Nov 26, 2003
Originally posted by: cheapbidder01
Just take what they give you and gain the experience. There's no room for negotiation here.

Oh yea i am going to take for that reason. I was just wondering if anyone had an idea of what an acceptable salary would be?

And also, I have been told by others who have made moves like this, that they will low ball me bad expecting me to counter offer. What?s the best way to go about counter offering? Is there an understood amount you should go above what they say? I have been told to go about $2k or so more than what i want because they will definitely work me down.

Originally posted by: PowerMac4Ever
I heard SampSon needs a new Job Position ;)
Yea, this under the desk assistant thing is getting old... fast.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
Say you want 100k and if they won't give it to you, your walking :)

J/K expect around 35-40k I would imagine..... The real question is, how much do you make now, and how much are you willing to settle for?

Yax

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2003
Originally posted by: LokiX
Originally posted by: yllus
Interviews: Answering the salary requirements question

That link has a compilation of all the good salary advice given on AT that I've seen to date.

I'll look at that. Thank you. Someone that can actually give some relevant advise. It figures i come here looking for advice and i get slammed for something completely irrelevant.

You don't seem to understand the situation. Take my advice. They know what you're willing to work for already. They'd simply give you a small salary increase because of your new responsibilities. They know you're not going to walk and any increase is better than where you are now so from their view, they don't need to give anymore. Now, if you gained a couple of years of experience in that position, then decide to move on to another company, then you can expect a bigger jump in salary. Because that other company will not know what it takes to get you.

slycat

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
makes no sense...quit worrying about it.
be humble, take the position no matter what. its fort500, theres tons of room to grow and
get THE POSITION u really want later in your career. ur nothing now, just be glad this opportunity came
by. don't think ur a hotshot yet...tons of people out there can and will replace you. why are u even
getting all worked up about the $$?...

was that so hard?

LokiX

Nov 26, 2003
Originally posted by: dxkj
Say you want 100k and if they won't give it to you, your walking :)

J/K expect around 35-40k I would imagine..... The real question is, how much do you make now, and how much are you willing to settle for?

they come at me with $100k and i'm a lay down. i would like around what you have stated and i would be happy. i am just worried they may try like $30k. i cant post my current pay due to the fact some people i work with come to this forum. lets put it this way, i make between 23k and 25k a year depending on ot.

LokiX

Nov 26, 2003
Originally posted by: slycat
makes no sense...quit worrying about it.
be humble, take the position no matter what. its fort500, theres tons of room to grow and
get THE POSITION u really want later in your career. ur nothing now, just be glad this opportunity came
by. don't think ur a hotshot yet...tons of people out there can and will replace you. why are u even
getting all worked up about the $$?...

was that so hard?

oh i am with you 110%. i'm taking it. im just curious is all. I love working for this company. The opportunity is unbelievable. i just dont want to be taken advantage of i guess is what i am getting at. its like this, i start to low now and i am destined to be low untill i go to another company. well guess we'll just see. it just helps me to talk and ask questions. i like to get a bunch of different views on things.

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
from that description don't expect anything over $45K, in fact, I would say $38-42K is more realistic.

LokiX

Nov 26, 2003
Originally posted by: FreshPrince
from that description don't expect anything over $45K, in fact, I would say $38-42K is more realistic.

once again. i get that and i'm a lay down. this is what i did, i took the low end from salary.com, which is 52,078, took 20% off of that due to the fact we are a discount retailer, and then i took 10% off of that for my lack of exp. I choose 10% because I know with my work ethic I would get my 6% raise in 6months with my review so by that point I would have the working knowledge of someone that has been doing it for a while and would be worth it to the company. I am also very willing to forgo my raise in 6 months for a slightly larger starting salary. Any way that put me at around $37k. I would be way happy with that. before i get flamed again, i will take it regardless due to the fact its the job i want to do and i cant wait to get the exp.

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
NT Application Admin making mid-50k to 67k? I wouldn't expect to see numbers in those range for a position like that.

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by: LokiX
Originally posted by: FreshPrince

once again. i get that and i'm a lay down. this is what i did, i took the low end from salary.com, which is 52,078, took 20% off of that due to the fact we are a discount retailer, and then i took 10% off of that for my lack of exp. I choose 10% because I know with my work ethic I would get my 6% raise in 6months with my review so by that point I would have the working knowledge of someone that has been doing it for a while and would be worth it to the company. I am also very willing to forgo my raise in 6 months for a slightly larger starting salary. Any way that put me at around $37k. I would be way happy with that. before i get flamed again, i will take it regardless due to the fact its the job i want to do and i cant wait to get the exp.

I wasn't flaming ya, just giving you the facts. You should concentrate more on networking and security. That's where the $$$$$$ is at :D

LokiX

Nov 26, 2003
oh absolutly. i knew you're not flamming me. i meant that towards some others. Yea i want to get into networking, but i have got to work my way up to that.

dfi

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2001
This is what I would do... although I don't know if it's the "right" thing to do.

First, I would try very hard not to state a number. If they ask, I would say something like "I'll leave that open", and "what do you think is fair?". After getting them to make an offer, I would probably try to see how much I can wiggle that number. I'd do so with a question like, "Hrm... $xx,xxx... (try to look like I'm really thinking hard about the offer), well, what is the range budgeted for this position?" Make it sound like I'm hesitant/not quite satisfied with their offer. If I'm given a budgeted range, and even if I'm not, I would ask for one more day to think it over. I can't imagine them not giving me one more day to think it over.

Now, in advance, I should have already prepared a list of reasons/small presentation of why I am worth more money, including things like my excellent record, my continuing education, industry salary for the position, etc. This list is how I would push for the upper range of their budget if I am given their budget, or how I would simply try to push their stated offer even higher. So if I'm given another day, and even if I'm not, what I would do next is come back with a counter-offer, using my prepared list of reasons for my counter-offer.

My assumption through all this is that the hiring manager is not there to screw me, but is trying to save the company some money if it looks like I'm willing to easily settle. So I think if I show hesitation at his initial offer, and show him valid reasons why I should get more, it's likely he'll push up the number.

dfi

LokiX

Nov 26, 2003
Originally posted by: dfi
This is what I would do... although I don't know if it's the "right" thing to do.

First, I would try very hard not to state a number. If they ask, I would say something like "I'll leave that open", and "what do you think is fair?". After getting them to make an offer, I would probably try to see how much I can wiggle that number. I'd do so with a question like, "Hrm... $xx,xxx... (try to look like I'm really thinking hard about the offer), well, what is the range budgeted for this position?" Make it sound like I'm hesitant/not quite satisfied with their offer. If I'm given a budgeted range, and even if I'm not, I would ask for one more day to think it over. I can't imagine them not giving me one more day to think it over.

Now, in advance, I should have already prepared a list of reasons/small presentation of why I am worth more money, including things like my excellent record, my continuing education, industry salary for the position, etc. This list is how I would push for the upper range of their budget if I am given their budget, or how I would simply try to push their stated offer even higher. So if I'm given another day, and even if I'm not, what I would do next is come back with a counter-offer, using my prepared list of reasons for my counter-offer.

My assumption through all this is that the hiring manager is not there to screw me, but is trying to save the company some money if it looks like I'm willing to easily settle. So I think if I show hesitation at his initial offer, and show him valid reasons why I should get more, it's likely he'll push up the number.

dfi

excellent advice. i am in really good with the hiring manager and even with the vp of the department. she is the one that recommended me to him for the position. got me pushed to the top of about 70+ applicants. when he and i went on my "interview" we just had lunch and chatted like a couple of buddies. in fact he has been giving me grief that i need to bring in some doughnuts to push me on in there. he is a great guy who got his start about the way i have with another company about 8 years ago. i really think he will give me the most the company is willing to but i am sure the offer letter will be very low. i don?t think he is there to screw me but i do know he has no control over it. salary hasn?t come up yet. he asked me if the recruiter has sent me an offer letter yet the other day but she hasn?t.

does anyone know what a typical range is? like do the go say 30-35, or like 30-40? not necessarily for this position but just to put numbers out there.