New Jersey to host the 2014 Superbowl

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
It can snow in Dallas, which is why Jerry Jones put a retractable roof on the stadium for big events like the Superbowl.

Again - home field advantage for northern teams is considered very advantageous for a reason. This stigma didn't just invent itself without a good reason. You can argue that this advantage shouldn't be a factor in picking a site, but to say its not an advantage goes against decades of conventional NFL wisdom.

Is it a good reason? I mean, there's a lot of superstition in sports. Are there any actual statistics? I'm not claiming it's not an advantage, I'm just wondering if there's any proof that it is an advantage.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Is it a good reason? I mean, there's a lot of superstition in sports. Are there any actual statistics? I'm not claiming it's not an advantage, I'm just wondering if there's any proof that it is an advantage.

Being a polarizing issue, I'm sure the stat hounds at ESPN will drag this information up in the next week or two.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Cold weather superbowl? Finally. Now if only we could get the Rose Bowl game to a cold weather location.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
Cold weather superbowl? Finally. Now if only we could get the Rose Bowl game to a cold weather location.
The Rose Bowl anywhere else wouldn't be the Rose Bowl. I'm all for some cold-weather bowl games, but it would never work. Snotty teams would be declining those offers left and right.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
I don't know about this one. I think having the Super Bowl in a place where weather is less likely to be a factor IMO is best.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
The city of Detroit benefited from a Superbowl and still has some activities going on that were started then. However, if I was spending $1500 for a seat I wouldn't want to go somewhere cold.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
vinny.gif

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
That was the worst football game I have ever seen. The conditions were absolutely horrid.

Oh yes all the "real", blue collar fans are going to drop $2k per ticket and fly to New York. yup.

This is an absolutely moronic idea. The Super Bowl should rotate between San Diego, Phoenix, Miami, Dallas, Tampa, New Orleans, Houston, and Jacksonville. I don't even like Indy even though they have a dome cause it's so damn cold there but it's acceptable because they have walkways EVERYWHERE. I've been to the old RCA dome 3 times and you can go from the dome to the hotels to the mall without ever walking outdoors.

the pussification of football continues :rolleyes:

seriously, there is nothing Holy about the NFL. It's a fucking game.

there is nothing to honor. It simply doesn't matter. This isn't an issue of neutrality, it's simply an issue of weather.

If it can help stimulate even more local markets, rather than the 5-7 towns wherein it perpetually rotates, then all the better.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
About fucking time. Football does not belong hiding indoors or only in a handful of fair-weather cities. Whiners don't want their precious dome stadium teams to have to encounter real weather.

Bibble

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2006
Why is everyone making the assumption that the weather is going to be terribly cold or snowy? East Rutherford is a far cry from Green Bay/Buffalo/Foxborough in terms of winter weather. I'm not saying it's going to be as warm as Tampa Bay, but NJ in February is usually not that bad. Maybe it was this past year, but that is not the norm. If I had to guess I'd say the weather that day will be overcast and ~40 degrees. Would I want to sit outside for hours in that weather? No, but players should be able to perform under such conditions.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
so you post an even more moronic idea?

Basically in your opinion, football should not be played in the cold? Or just the important ones? Why not have football during the summer then?

The only reason they hold it in warm weather locations is cause of fair weather fans like you who get butthurt by the cold so maybe they should do what you say.

The city of Detroit benefited from a Superbowl and still has some activities going on that were started then. However, if I was spending $1500 for a seat I wouldn't want to go somewhere cold.

Squisher just proved exactly why this is a bad idea. The Super Bowl is not a game, it's an event. It's a spectacle. It's a week of media blitz, parties, etc. Most people who have the money to go to the superbowl (or who scrounge it up once in their lifetime) want to go and be entertained. New Jersey is not where people want to be in February.

Football in the cold is fine, and if you are NYG and you earn home field then you deserve to play in the cold and your home fans will come support you. But if the Dallas Cowboys (the team I'm a fan of) make it to the super bowl in 2014 there's no way in hell I'm going. You can call me a fair weather fan but you'd be wrong (I've stuck with them 11 years of not winning a playoff game), but I am not spending thousands to go to Jersey in February. Miami? Hell yeah. Phoenix? I was there in January and it was GORGEOUS.

Yes, the "only" reason is so people will come. When you want 100,000 people to show up and spends tons of money that's the only reason that matters.

the pussification of football continues :rolleyes:

seriously, there is nothing Holy about the NFL. It's a fucking game.

there is nothing to honor. It simply doesn't matter. This isn't an issue of neutrality, it's simply an issue of weather.

If it can help stimulate even more local markets, rather than the 5-7 towns wherein it perpetually rotates, then all the better.

yep NY really needs a lot of help.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Gonna be a great Super Bowl, praying for a snow storm for that game, NFL in snow is epic

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Squisher just proved exactly why this is a bad idea. The Super Bowl is not a game, it's an event. It's a spectacle. It's a week of media blitz, parties, etc. Most people who have the money to go to the superbowl (or who scrounge it up once in their lifetime) want to go and be entertained. New Jersey is not where people want to be in February.

Football in the cold is fine, and if you are NYG and you earn home field then you deserve to play in the cold and your home fans will come support you. But if the Dallas Cowboys (the team I'm a fan of) make it to the super bowl in 2014 there's no way in hell I'm going. You can call me a fair weather fan but you'd be wrong (I've stuck with them 11 years of not winning a playoff game), but I am not spending thousands to go to Jersey in February. Miami? Hell yeah. Phoenix? I was there in January and it was GORGEOUS.

Yes, the "only" reason is so people will come. When you want 100,000 people to show up and spends tons of money that's the only reason that matters.

yep NY really needs a lot of help.

No you are a fair weather fan.... You stuck with the team through 11 years? wow way to go sport that must have been very difficult.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
No you are a fair weather fan.... You stuck with the team through 11 years? wow way to go sport that must have been very difficult.

haha well I'm not counting 92-98 because we won 3 super bowls, everyone was a Cowboy Fan then (America's Team and all).

And I'm 25 so...yeah, that's my entire life 7 and up.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Just a thought...throwing it out there....

But what if the NFL actually put some value on the Allstar Game. I think the MLB gives home field advantage to the league that wins the All Star Game, no?

It's kind of screwed up since the all star game in the NFL is at the end of the season. But what if the winner of that game carries it over to the next season.

And then we do just like every other sport and just have it at the teams actual stadium?

I know it's not apples to apples since it's only one game instead of 7. But then you really give the fans something to enjoy since it's a 50/50 chance it's in their home town.

And on the upside there's some actual value to the all star game.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Just a thought...throwing it out there....

But what if the NFL actually put some value on the Allstar Game. I think the MLB gives home field advantage to the league that wins the All Star Game, no?

It's kind of screwed up since the all star game in the NFL is at the end of the season. But what if the winner of that game carries it over to the next season.

And then we do just like every other sport and just have it at the teams actual stadium?

I know it's not apples to apples since it's only one game instead of 7. But then you really give the fans something to enjoy since it's a 50/50 chance it's in their home town.

And on the upside there's some actual value to the all star game.

Wouldn't work. The Super Bowl is a huge event, it'd be impossible to do it in a city with only two weeks notice.

Edit - Also, as a diehard fan, the last thing that I want is for the pro-bowl to mean something. That would make it even more likely that one of the star players from my team gets injured. The pro-bowl should just be done away with IMO, but I know that'll never happen.

Last edited:

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
meh, if they can't handle the potential bad weather they need to find a new game to play.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Edit - Also, as a diehard fan, the last thing that I want is for the pro-bowl to mean something. That would make it even more likely that one of the star players from my team gets injured. The pro-bowl should just be done away with IMO, but I know that'll never happen.

Instead of a pro bowl then, you could always just do regular season record like every other sport. That would be a passive way of handling the "sitting the starters" debate at the end of the season.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
New Jersey is not where people want to be in February.

But there *are* people in the area already. It's not exactly the middle of nowhere. It is within a day's drive of some HUGE football markets - Jets/Giants, Eagles, Patriots, Steelers, Redskins, Ravens, Panthers, and whomever still actually cares about Buffalo. Plus there's people in NYC/PHL/BOS/DC who will go just because they can.

For every wimp southerner who can't tough out weather below 50 degrees there is a northerner who wears short sleeves when it's 10 degrees and will happily take their place. Just because *YOU* vacation in warm climates doesn't mean *everyone* does.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Instead of a pro bowl then, you could always just do regular season record like every other sport. That would be a passive way of handling the "sitting the starters" debate at the end of the season.

That still only gives you two weeks to plan for a Super Bowl in a given city. That's not enough time. It's not just a one day thing, it's a week long event. Also, a lot of the older stadiums don't have the proper facilities to handle a Super Bowl.

I wish something like that would work because it'd be pretty damn cool to have home field advantage for the Super Bowl.