New Jersey to host the 2014 Superbowl

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
But there *are* people in the area already. It's not exactly the middle of nowhere. It is within a day's drive of some HUGE football markets - Jets/Giants, Eagles, Patriots, Steelers, Redskins, Ravens, Panthers, and whomever still actually cares about Buffalo. Plus there's people in NYC/PHL/BOS/DC who will go just because they can.

For every wimp southerner who can't tough out weather below 50 degrees there is a northerner who wears short sleeves when it's 10 degrees and will happily take their place. Just because *YOU* vacation in warm climates doesn't mean *everyone* does.

I think for the actual game it's not a big deal, I'd happily sit through freezing temps to watch the Ravens in a Super Bowl, hell, I've done that for regular season games. The problem is the week before with all of the events.

Edit - Of course I'd still go (if I could afford it), but I wouldn't have nearly as much fun as I would if it were in a warmer area, and I probably wouldn't attend as many events as I otherwise would have.

Feb 16, 2005
FFS, it's football, grow a pair and play in the cold. The team with the better record should be hosting like in every other pro sport. I'd LOVE to see a Superbowl in Green Bay or Buffalo...
Real football in real football weather, although with the expanding schedule the SB will be in March in no time.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
The important thing to watch is the corporations and how they respond.

I don't think you are going to see as many give aways or parties or other events. Spending Super Bowl week in NY isn't as much fun as spending it in a nice warm southern city.

I would also guess that the black market ticket prices for this game will be lower than normal, unless one of the big market north east teams plays.

Most of the tickets are sold long before we know which teams are playing and I think a lot of potential ticket buyers are going to skip out on this game. The good side is that poorer fans will get a chance to see a Super Bowl in person. (By poorer I mean people willing to pay $1000 as opposed to people willing to pay $5000)

BTW when the forecast for the 2007 game called for rain the price of tickets dropped big time, very cold weather or snow could cause ticket prices to drop here too. Although the closeness to NY and all its money will most likely keep the tickets from becoming too cheap.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
The important thing to watch is the corporations and how they respond.

I don't think you are going to see as many give aways or parties or other events. Spending Super Bowl week in NY isn't as much fun as spending it in a nice warm southern city.

I would also guess that the black market ticket prices for this game will be lower than normal, unless one of the big market north east teams plays.

Most of the tickets are sold long before we know which teams are playing and I think a lot of potential ticket buyers are going to skip out on this game. The good side is that poorer fans will get a chance to see a Super Bowl in person. (By poorer I mean people willing to pay $1000 as opposed to people willing to pay $5000)

BTW when the forecast for the 2007 game called for rain the price of tickets dropped big time, very cold weather or snow could cause ticket prices to drop here too. Although the closeness to NY and all its money will most likely keep the tickets from becoming too cheap.

There's about 25 million people within reasonable driving distance of the Meadowlands, and over 10 million of them come from the two wealthiest states in the country. I don't think people will be finding great deals on the tickets to this Super Bowl.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
There's about 25 million people within reasonable driving distance of the Meadowlands, and over 10 million of them come from the two wealthiest states in the country. I don't think people will be finding great deals on the tickets to this Super Bowl.

i agree.

not much will actually change.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
FYI: I have sent this thread to the NFL head-office. You are all going to be sued for using the registered trademark Super Bowl® without express written consent by the NFL®

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
But there *are* people in the area already. It's not exactly the middle of nowhere. It is within a day's drive of some HUGE football markets - Jets/Giants, Eagles, Patriots, Steelers, Redskins, Ravens, Panthers, and whomever still actually cares about Buffalo. Plus there's people in NYC/PHL/BOS/DC who will go just because they can.

For every wimp southerner who can't tough out weather below 50 degrees there is a northerner who wears short sleeves when it's 10 degrees and will happily take their place. Just because *YOU* vacation in warm climates doesn't mean *everyone* does.

that's the most valid point I've seen.

That being said, those people are going for the game. They aren't going for all the other stuff which makes the city money.

Your last statement is ludicrous. Also, I've been to Boston in November. I didn't see anyone in short sleeves and it was only 30.